Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

One thing I have noticed though, you would think the graphics on the LCD display might have progressed slightly, looks like it was written by the same guy who developed the graphics on my Mk1............14 years ago!

They need to take a peep at the BMW display in the i3.

I've had my 400 for a year and I've never got better than 29. I'm getting shot of it. In this day and age 29 is unacceptable. I don't care how comfortable it is

I've had my 400 for a year and I've never got better than 29. I'm getting shot of it. In this day and age 29 is unacceptable. I don't care how comfortable it is

Well, when you find another 2-tonne, 4WD, 3.3 litre petrol engine car with 270bhp that can pull my 1600kg caravan and does better than 29mpg, be sure to let us know... :shifty:

Well, when you find another 2-tonne, 4WD, 3.3 litre petrol engine car with 270bhp that does better than 29mpg, be sure to let us know... :shifty:

There are even some diesel, noisy, smelly, egr/dpf blocking, expensive, slow, harsh, unreliable, cars that would love to get 29mpg

Average MPGs for vaguely similar cars (from Fuelly.com):

Lexus RX400 - 31 mpg

BMW 530i - 25

BMW X5 petrol - 22 (20 for the V8)

BMW X5 diesel - 27

VW Golf V6 - 28 (ok, only similar in power terms)

Volvo XC90 V6 petrol - 25

Volvo XC90 diesel - 30 (but only 200bhp)

Land Rover Discovery V6 diesel - 25

Land Rover Discovery V8 petrol - 16 :msn-oh:

VW Touraeg V6 petrol - 23

VW Touraeg V6 diesel - 28

Like I said, good luck with the search :whistling:

Outlander PHEV....full size 4x4 with a genuine 90-100mpg consumption..........ok.....its not fast but its big, comfy, reliable Japanese made, petrol engined plug in hybrid advanced technology (quite unique).

You got to peel an orange to compare it with an apple, or is that the other way around? :D

• Like 1

Who said I was looking for another 4x4?? I don't need 4 wheel drive and I don't own a caravan. Tbh, since I've owned this car I've come to realise how unnessasary it really is. Just a regular car will do me, and it'll save me around 100 quid a week on fuel, cheaper tax and probably better performance. Not rocket science

• Like 1

When I used to have my IS200 (I had it for 8 years) I only used to get 29mpg tops. My RX is much better at 33- 38, and is a bigger car too. Fantastic! The old IS was a great car by the way!

• Like 1

I've had my SportCross for 15-16 months now and I absolutely love it. I drive really softly and am proud at how well I have done with the MPG. When the time comes to replace Zorro, the RX400h looks like the best car. I still want a big easy accessible boot and the second gen IS and third gen GS just don't seem suitable. If I can get 40MPG out of the RX, I'd start saving straight away . . . .

Bought my 5 year old RX400h six weeks ago and mainly got a 40 mile round trip to work most days, with a few shorter trips too.

Work commute is mainly A roads, averaging 50-60 mph., with the inevitable roundabout queues at the end. Currently have eased the mpg up from 29.5 showing when I bought the car to 32.5 - and happy with the way it's going so far.

Outlander PHEV....full size 4x4 with a genuine 90-100mpg consumption...

Fat chance! In Autocar's test, on the motorway at 70-80mph, it averaged 32mpg! They did say they got 60mpg when the Battery started off fully charged but they didn't clarify where/how they were driving. What Car said it averaged 39mpg on their 'True MPG' test, whatever that is.

In fact, it is pretty much identical to the Lexus system, except the batteries are obviously much better (or more of them?) as they claim 32 miles on Battery alone (Autocar managed 25). The only other difference is that you have more control - you can decide to let the engine only power the batteries and all drive to come from the motors, which would be good for town driving.

So pretty good but 0-60 in 11 secs is a tad dull and all the reviews say it is old-school-diesel noisy and rides badly...

Now, if Lexus could steal their Battery design and bring out an RX500... :shruriken:

• Like 1

Who said I was looking for another 4x4?? I don't need 4 wheel drive and I don't own a caravan. Tbh, since I've owned this car I've come to realise how unnessasary it really is. Just a regular car will do me, and it'll save me around 100 quid a week on fuel, cheaper tax and probably better performance. Not rocket science

It's obviously rocket science to you as you didn't understand it before you bought your RX :innocent:

To summarise; smaller car + smaller engine + lower weight = less petrol.

Outlander PHEV....full size 4x4 with a genuine 90-100mpg consumption...

Fat chance! In Autocar's test, on the motorway at 70-80mph, it averaged 32mpg! They did say they got 60mpg when the Battery started off fully charged but they didn't clarify where/how they were driving. What Car said it averaged 39mpg on their 'True MPG' test, whatever that is.

In fact, it is pretty much identical to the Lexus system, except the batteries are obviously much better (or more of them?) as they claim 32 miles on Battery alone (Autocar managed 25). The only other difference is that you have more control - you can decide to let the engine only power the batteries and all drive to come from the motors, which would be good for town driving.

So pretty good but 0-60 in 11 secs is a tad dull and all the reviews say it is old-school-diesel noisy and rides badly...

Now, if Lexus could steal their Battery design and bring out an RX500... :shruriken:

Win, win ;)

Of course no car is going to be perfect or give 5 stars in every department, if it did the rest could pack up and go home!

Not the same as the Lexus system at all really, look carefully at the system, you can even tell the vehicle to charge the Battery using the engine whilst parked......try doing that with a Lexus. So yes you do have more control, in fact you have complete control over power delivery, with the Prius/400h system the technology has the control not the driver at all....in fact the 400/450 isn't even a plug-in, so I do not see much the same at all.

As I said earlier in the thread Lexus really need to update the RX with plug-in tech to remain competitive because 25 miles at 25mph is not even in the same ball park!

...in fact the 400/450 isn't even a plug-in, so I do not see much the same at all.

Ah yes, apologies, forgot about that...that is quite a biggie actually :(

I think its up to the individual to do the research and make a decision, if you haven't done the research regarding mpg/running costs etc I have little sympathy. Obviously if your circumstances have changed and your budget has then fair enough that's unforeseen.

I've had my 2006 RX for just over 2 months now and while I've had to become acclimatised to filling up a lot more having come from a 46mpg Honda Civic, you just can't compare the two vehicles. Theres more to driving and ownership than just mpg - comfort, luxury, features, solidity, lifestyle, flexibility, prestige, all these things count to me and while yes I've worked out I'll be paying several hundreds pounds more a year in petrol, I'm hoping that the legendary lexus running costs will offset that. Personally my wife and I and my daughter really like the Lexus for all the reasons I've outlined.

Its a lot of car for the money and I'm avg 33mpg :) Easily do 37 on a 50/60mph run which considering the performance and size is astonishingly good.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links