Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

I got 10L of the toyota coolant ordered.

Can I just get the old stuff drained and put this in?

I would check your water pump. Mine needed replacing at 54000 miles (as many do) and you will lose the coolant then any way.

has anyone got manual boxes?!

I have a horrid first gear, jumpy and sluggish. I am sure its the fluids, the MTF is over 15000 milles over due, also the diff fluid needs to go.

I hope that clears things up as the car runs like new apart from that. Getting it booked in tuesday, cant wait...!

Eric , when you say 1st gear is jumpy and sluggish what exactly do you mean ? I used to get a bit of judder on my is200 but the gear changes were smooth, are you sure it's not a worn clutch....

Allan

doubt its a clutch, the gearing biting point is fine, just when the gear engages and when you let go of the clutch (in 1st) it is jerky, not smooth.

you need to balance the throttle and clutch movement to get it to move smoothly.. very awkward and not good.

The diff fluid is in need of changing, likewise the tranny fluid.

I hope that will make a difference

Are the rest of the gears smooth when you change up /down the box ? Also can you change down into 1st gear ok , if you can and the rest of the gears are smooth I would still suspect the clutch plate or flywheel worn , maybe the springs on the clutch plate have weakened .....

Allan

Another thought is gearbox mounting broken or propshaft bolts loose.... I'll keep thinking for you mate, hard to diagnose without trying it .....

Allan

Eric try a search on this forum for judder when pulling away , there are lots of posts on this and some cures involving slipping the clutch a lot ! .....

Allan

rest of gears are fine, driving in 1st is fine, its the initial stage when you select 1st and drive off.

i am going to get the fluids done and see if it fixes it.

worst case scenario is a flywheel?, do i need a clutch also? i would get a light flywheel, i know the lexus one weighs a ton.

is this a massive job?

I am a bit worried, seems there is not much information on this 'judder' and i have seen at least 2 guys saying the clutch/flywheel have been replaced with no fix of the judder.

Because the gear changes are basically normal apart from the initial stage of taking off from 1st i think it could be some other issue causing this, i absolutely have not time or money to throw over 1k on this changing the clutch etc to see the problem is still there.

gearbox mounting, propshafts......hmmm

if the flywheel needs to go can i get something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidanza-130201-Aluminum-Flywheel-fit-Lexus-IS-250-06-09-2-5L-/310476489565

would putting this onto a stock clutch be a no no?

OEM flywheels are mad money.

anyway, it might be fluids, they are all in need of replacing.

Eric don't panic mate, the clutch is not a massive job, ( gearbox out though ) is the judder that bad ? Reading some of the posts on the forum it is something you can learn to live with, have you tried giving afew more revs when pulling away ? I was reading that this can help , do you know a nice friendly mechanic who knows his business that can maybe drive the car and give his opinion ? .....I did start to get a judder on my is200 about a year or more ago which had me worried but it never got any worse and like others have said you do learn to live with it , have you tried slipping the clutch a bit to maybe clean the clutch plate slightly ? If after doing this it improves then it would confirm that it is the clutch rather than anything else......

Allan

yeah, its going to a garage tuesday.

Hopefully he will give it a once over, maybe even the fluids will do a job.

its not too bad, just annoying and i really like things to be spot on unfortunately.

not ocd but close :p

I turned all that stability stuff off and it seems fine now, weird.

I bet it will be even better once i get all the fluids done, my OCD other half feels rather better now.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links