Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls430

Anthony B

I have just joined the Club, having purchased an LS430, a first for me. I've been faithful to Rover 75s for over ten years, but felt that for my next few years of quality motoring (I'm 72) I wanted something special. And I think I've found it, an -03-reg silver 430 with just 88000 on the clock, immaculate and purring beautifully - if you listen hard.

A few hints, please, from old 430 hands out there. Obviously I'm going to be paying more for fuel (my diesel 75 never did fewer than 44 mpg). What can I expect? There will be little if any in-city driving (we live in very rural Wiltshire) so mostly rural pottering but with quite a bit of long distance cruising.

Secondly, what work will be required soonest? Cam drive, for example? What have other users found to be the expensive areas? What should I look out for? Are tyres generally a problem?

All and any advice welcome.

Anthony

I have just joined the Club, having purchased an LS430, a first for me. I've been faithful to Rover 75s for over ten years, but felt that for my next few years of quality motoring (I'm 72) I wanted something special. And I think I've found it, an -03-reg silver 430 with just 88000 on the clock, immaculate and purring beautifully - if you listen hard.

A few hints, please, from old 430 hands out there. Obviously I'm going to be paying more for fuel (my diesel 75 never did fewer than 44 mpg). What can I expect? There will be little if any in-city driving (we live in very rural Wiltshire) so mostly rural pottering but with quite a bit of long distance cruising.

Secondly, what work will be required soonest? Cam drive, for example? What have other users found to be the expensive areas? What should I look out for? Are tyres generally a problem?

All and any advice welcome.

Anthony

Hi Anthony, welcome to LOC. I'm just in the process of changing to an LS430 myself. The Cam belt is next at 100K. More advice will follow soon from others.

Be nice to see some photos!

Hello Anthony and welcome to the LOC.

I was also a Rover man before I was converted to Lexus,always wanted one but thought they were out of my budget but 7 years later mine has cost less in servicing/repairs than the 800/825s I used to own.

Regarding fuel consumption they are,for a large V8 actually quite reasonable on fuel,expect around 20-22 MPG around town and I seen other members claiming low to mid 30s on a longer run.

You don't need to use the throttle pedal much as these cars will potter around town at a little over tickover speed and even motorway cruising is below 3000 RPM. It will of course provide plenty of power when asked but you will rarely use it.

The cam belt has already been mentioned by Phil,the other things to look out for are Air Suspension issues, exhaust problems ( they are not stainless steel on the 430 like the 400s) and being a heavy car general wear and tear to suspension components ( knocks and clunks whilst driving over uneven surfaces).

Check the steering wheel to ensure it moves both up and down and in and out as there have been cases of expensive motor failure on these and make sure all the doors lock and unlock on the remote keyfob as there have been reports of the lock motors failing.

Basically press/pull/push every button and make sure, as Ronseal say it does as it says on the tin.

Tyres are normally 17" and widely available, better to go for premium brands, expect to pay £120.00-£150.00 a corner.

Alloy wheels on Lexus have always been a downer,they tend to loose the laquer and then corrosion sets in, they can be refurbished but off course if the ones on your choice need doing that's a good haggling point.

Hopefully the one you are looking at is a low owner example with Full Service history, keep up with the servicing and it will look after you.

If you have a link for the one you are looking at feel free to post it up and we will be happy to comment further good or bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice from Steve as always. I had an LS400 until recently and it was a fantastic car. I'm on the lookout for another one. Given your car has done 88k, I'd be getting the cam belt done as a precaution fairly soon (unless it's been done already). I'd get it done by someone who is experienced with working on these cars.

Thanks to those who have posted advice and comments so far. Just returned from 650 miles around East Anglia in the 430 - wonderful driving throughout, and it feels as if I've owned the car for years.

Much still to learn, including what all the bleeps mean. I also like not having to take the key out of my trouser pocket. Daphne, the lady in the satnav, has ideas of her own which will need correction.

Peak consumption on longer runs about 33mpg; average over the trip about 29-30; lowest, when negotiating city centres, 23-24. I found myself watching the average figure on the readout and trying to keep the revs down. But fuel costs are going to be what they will, and are not a massive element in the family budget; I can certainly learn to drive economically. The kick in the backside when you need to put the right foot down is certainly rewarding - but not to be done too often.

So far I've observed that the struts supporting the trunk lid are weakening and I'll have them replaced soon. Have others noticed the same?

Cam belt - how does the need for replacement show itself? Or does it just fail and leave one high and dry? And how much does the job typically cost?

Anthony

post-50743-0-57914300-1405177578_thumb.j

post-50743-0-54322100-1405177723_thumb.j

post-50743-0-80864000-1405177878_thumb.j

Great looking car! If the cam belt fails it's a disaster, and could virtually destroy your engine, certainly the top half anyway. It seems the average cost is around £500ish if you have the water pump done at the same time. If you're planning on keeping the car then I would certainly have the pump done as well, just for peace of mind.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links