Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Check Engine And Vsc Light After Heavy Rain

Hi i have just bought a 2001 rx 300 with only 90000 miles on it a very clean car. Apart from a air conditioning problem it has been faultless until yesterday when near the end of a 250 mile round trip we hit a torrential downpour on the M42 about 10 minutes later i noticed that the check engine and vsc lights had come on but car still appeared to be driving normally. About 5 miles from home i noticed a lack of power and it would not change up into top gear. This morning all seemed well for about 10 miles then both lights came on and same lack of power till we got to destination about 5 miles on. Parked for about 1 hour then returned home 15 mile trip lights still on but car driving perfectly. I will get the codes read tomorrow but in the mean time does anyone have any ideas what could cause these symptoms. It seam to much of a coincidence that it started just after the storm .

Very similar to me yesterday went from home to Sheffield on Motorway driving through torrential rain .Went to an event then on the way down slowed down from 70 to 50 into roadworks reasonably sharply .Shortly after that check vsc system came on. Continued remainder of journey noticing braking seemend different and more like normal brakes I e no regenerative system and whine. In drive I noticed an unusual sound as if one of the electrical systems trying to do something. Turned car off and on and then went round 5 mile block and lights went off and braking seemed to be normal again.Did notce when car in drive that brakes seemed warm but had just done 60 mile run. Car has had 60000 mile service in last 3 weeks at Lexus dealer.Went to local shops this morning 4 mile round trip and car seemed fine.

Any advice or similar experiences appreciated.

Best regards

Chris

I am sure there was a thread about water leaking through the rear body seams in heavy rain and flooding the lower trunk area where the controls for the hybrid Battery reside, this caused problems.

Might be worth looking to see if there is any water laying in the lower trunk/boot area.

Well had you bought a Hybrid instead of the 300 you would have had the answer! :lol:

In the RX300 I think I would check things like the fuse box lid is still secure and water tight and a quick look at other connections that could be suspect.

Of course it could have been something as simple as too much water/mist being taken in through the air intake and saturating the MAF sensor, sounds like the car went into some kind of limp mode.

Hi car was fine today no light on drove 50 mile no problems must have got water somewhere!! just got the codes read only 1 fault P0330

Goggled it and came up with:

Tech notes
The P0330 code means that the Knock Sensor is not working properly. Problems with the knock sensor will not cause an engine performance problems. Replacing the knock sensor usually takes care of the problem.
When is the code detected?
An excessively low or high voltage from the sensor is sent to Engine Control Module (ECM)
Symptoms
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
- Possible Lack/Loss of Power
P0330 Description
The knock sensor is attached to the cylinder block. It senses engine knocking using a piezoelectric element. A knocking vibration from the cylinder block is sensed as vibrational pressure. This pressure is converted into a voltage signal and sent to the Engine Control Module (ECM).
So can anyone tell me where the knock sensor is and if this could cause the lack of power as the description above contradicts it self although as i only have one fault logged it must be the culprit.
so i suppose unplug sensor and spray wd40 onto plug and socket.
  • Like 1

P0330 is a problem with the knock sensor on bank 2. There is one on each bank, they are both located in the middle of the engine on top of the V. The problem is to get to them you need to remove the inlet manifold - not sure if you can get to the connectors without removing everything.

I'm surprised that water from the road was able to get to the sensor but certainly I would expect limp mode to be activated if a problem with the knock sensor is detected.

That took some doing to get the water up in the V of the engine :driving: Handy that it just dried out.

I've just changed one of the knock sensors on my GS430. If the 3 litre V6 is similar to the V8, then it isn't as bad as it sounds taking the inlet manifold off.

from what I remember to get the manifold off you first need to remove the wipers, trim, wiper motor, cowling etc as this all overhangs the engine. :angry:

None of that garbage to remove on the GS.... luckily.

Thanks Colin I only surmised it was triggered by the storm which was one of the heaviest I have ever seen . Could water have got into the wires from the sensors any where else? I agree it does sound unlikely water got to that location I will have a good look tomorrow for the wiring to the sensors.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links