Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have seen rust appear on some facelifted LS430s - one car I went to view had rust bubbles in the middle of a passenger door but the car was 10 years old with 180k miles and it had shown a lot of wear & tear. Asking price was only £3k but rust is a no-no for me as it's usually uneconomical to repair on older cars

The Ls430 door rust issues are not uncommon ...... have read on these forums that Lexus will repair/replace the door under the 12 year warranty.

My Ls400, 19 years old now, showing two slight spots on the drivers door middle, where the trim is, guess it's those damned tin mice having a go .... no other car would have so little rust after 19 years eh !

Am I worried, not one jot. ............. the car's super ..................

Malc

I sold my 1998 LS400 last year after 13 years of ownership and 225k miles - probably the best car I ever owned and that did start to suffer with some rust in a couple of areas such as the metal above the windscreen and also above the rear screen too

I do sometimes wonder if I should have held onto it but I wanted to run & own an LS430 - hopefully the right decision still

To be fair to Lexus their policy on internal rust showing through is usually dealt with and the issues with the doors were mentioned on this forum a year or two ago.

The Mark 1 suffered quite badly above the rear wheel arches and mine also had rust within the forward part of the wheel arch under the rear door when it was about ten years old, that was caused by penetration of the wheel arch behind the underseal (probably a stone impact) and water seeping into the internal part of the cill .It was remedid by flooding the area with waxoyl and survived until it was twenty two years old.A lot of the suspect areas for rust on the Mark 1 were identified by Lexus by the time they got to the Mark 4.The other areas that rusted was the rear subframe and mine was in a bad way when it left my ownership .This was due to the really bad winters a few years ago when there was more grit and salt being put on the roads than ever before.

I left the car for three months in the garage while I was abroad and there were rust stalictites coming off it when I got back.

When I purchased this Mark 4 with a pristine chassis I coated the whole of the metal underframe with 6 cans of dinitrol and it as worked a treat ,not a brown spot anywhere.

• Like 1

My MK2 LS400 had a bad rust area on a front wing, my MK4 had a bubble appear on the rear wing, and the current 430 had a rust bubble on the drivers door which I've just had painted, along with the front wing and blown into the rear door. All for £360. Not too bad I thought. So they do rust, but NOTHING like Mercedes, especially the E class!

My mk4 is nearly 15 years old and has a couple of rusty spots. It has the commonly mentioned 'rear wheel arch bubbling' issue but only on the driver's side. It also has one small patch by the kick plate on the rear door sill, driver's side, which I have treated. Thankfully this doesn't show when the door is closed. I guess I'll have to get some waxoyl in that sill somehow though. Anyone tried 'Chipsaway' for the paint touch up?

Brian

The quickest way to treat the cill is to remove the kick plate on the rear door and the plastic garnish, this will give you access to the inside of the cill through holes that may be taped up, this can be removed and replaced when the waxoyl as been sprayed around inside the cill.There is also a large rubber oblong grommet just in from the bottom of the rear wheel arch in the chassis. this also gives access for spraying waxoyl within the chassis area.

The car will stink of waxoyl for about a month but it does stop corrosion that may be in there.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links