Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Full Monty Timing Belt Change

The service records of my Mk 3 indicated that the car’s timing belt had been changed on schedule at 60,000-mile intervals. The third change was done on 13 December 2007at 182,244 miles.

On 7 December 2013, i.e. after the six-year recommended interval, the car had done 229,120 miles. Keeping in mind that Lexus recommend that the timing belt should be changed at 60,000 mile intervals or six years WHICHEVER COMES FIRST I concluded that car was now due for a new

timing belt.

Earlier this month I decided, therefore, to do things properly. I was also curious to see how the components had fared in an engine that had done 230,000 miles with no undue noises or loss of coolant.

Armed, therefore, with my LOC Gold Card I went to Lexus Guildford where they were happy to give

me a 10% discount. I also instructed my indie, John Hill of HILLSONS LIMITED in Angmering, to do the job. As a matter of fact, John, who has known my car since 2006, had done this job for the previous owner.

Here is the financial side with prices shown AFTER the Lexus 10% discount:

1-Water pump £89.80

1-Timing belt £48.15

1-Idler £133.43

1-Idler £78.66

1-Tensioner £60.12

£410.16

VAT £82.03

Sub-total Parts £492.19

Plus

Labour £175.00

11 lts Toyota coolant £45.03

£220.03
VAT £44.01

Sub-total Labour, etc. £264.04

Grand Total £756.23

Here are the components that John replaced:

post-42486-0-80865200-1412004310_thumb.j

Here’s how the Water Pump looked, immediately after it was removed from the engine. Notice the absolute absence of sediment or debris which I would have expected after 231,170 miles, to be exact. John told me that he always used Toyota pre-mixed coolant when servicing the car.

post-42486-0-75109600-1412004532_thumb.j

The previous owner felt that a genuine Toyota replacement timing belt would not be necessary, so John fitted a Japanese substitute that appears to have done the job very well indeed. No signs of wear
could be seen with the naked eye as shown below.

post-42486-0-89007500-1412004705_thumb.j

post-42486-0-76906400-1412004915_thumb.j

To sum up, in John’s opinion all the components he replaced were in very good condition and
he attributed this to the fact that the car has been always very maintained.

My approach might seem a little OTT to my fellow LOC members as I have also followed this

procedure with my Mk4 which ‘only’ has done 168,000 miles. My two LS 400s are simply objects of beauty and delight. I keep both in show-room condition and I think they are worth every penny I spend on them. I now sleep well.

Finally, I’d like to put in a good word for John Hill. Heis an excellent mechanic and I would

recommend him without hesitation. Just PM me.

Pepe

• Like 2

I also coughed up for belt and pump immediately after my LS400 purchase.

Partly, because - somehow, on some anthropomorphic/emotional level - the car seemed to deserve it.

But also partly because Her Indoors would have been seriously dischuffed if it had gone 'pop' half way up the Alps.

I also coughed up for belt and pump immediately after my LS400 purchase.

Partly, because - somehow, on some anthropomorphic/emotional level - the car seemed to deserve it.

But also partly because Her Indoors would have been seriously dischuffed if it had gone 'pop' half way up the Alps.

Couldn't agree more. I particularly like this bit:

"anthropomorphic/emotional level"

i know exactly what you mean.

Looked at in the context of the cost of depreciation if you keep changing your car regularly, £750 spread over a six year period on a car you are keeping is a relatively modest sum.

I will be keeping my two LS400s and will have no hesitation spending a similar amount on them when the time comes for cam belt etc replacement.

Money well spent!!

• Like 1

Hi

Does anyone know what the recomendation is for the LS430 cam belt, I believe that it is 10 years / 100,00 miles?

Looks like I might have pushed the envelope a bit on my old LS400 at 13 years / 100,000 miles !

Scott

Really good post and it's good to see and hear of other owners who look after their cars so well.

I ran my LS400 for 13 years and did almost 230k miles and maintained it meticulously too. I sold the car last year and the new owner was very impressed with the service history and overall condition of the car.

I changed my cambelt 4 times during my ownership and the original water pump lasted 180k miles and the replacement genuine part was £90 - now that's a good sign of build quality and durability.

I hope my latest purchase, an LS430 will live up to the same level of reliability and quality as the LS400

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links