Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Put An Aftermarket Subwoofer In Their Ls400?

Hi chaps

Anyone put an aftermarket sub in their LS400? Thinking of a medium sized sub (12") in the boot taking a hi-level signal from the rear speakers to the sub's amp. I'd also disconnect the factory sub.

This way you get to keep the good quality of the standard system, but have a proper sub that hits the lower frequencies, rather than the tiny free-air stock sub. For those that think subwoofers are for the plonkers in their Corsa/Saxo/Civic bumping down the street, this isn't the case. Subwoofers add a real depth to all kinds of music and done well, they sound fantastic. Hard to fully explain, best to hear one!

Interested to hear views of others that have done the same/contemplated it.

Anyone have any ideas on best way to route the power cable from the engine bay to the sub amp? Any spare grommets coming through the firewall?

Cheers

Yoda

I cant say that fixing a subwooffer would make mine sound any better than it already does. I listen to Jazz and Blues and the warm bass response is just amazing. I have a high end system indoors and the Lexus system is not that far behind it. I wonder after the way you describe your sound if there is not something wrong with it to start with. Mike

I cant say that fixing a subwooffer would make mine sound any better than it already does. I listen to Jazz and Blues and the warm bass response is just amazing. I have a high end system indoors and the Lexus system is not that far behind it. I wonder after the way you describe your sound if there is not something wrong with it to start with. Mike

There isn't anything wrong with it, not sure why you assume it needs fixing? The stock system doesn't play as low as it would with a 12" amplified sub, simple.

I also dabble in high end home audio and I know that you have to have the right speakers for the job. The small 8" factory sub isn't going to play cleanly down to 30 - 35Hz.

We listen to all sorts of music and whilst you feel the factory bass response might be ok for Jazz and Blues, nothing beats a sub when it comes to Drum n Bass, Dubstep, Hiphop, RnB, Reggae etc. In fact, I would say a proper sub improves ALL genres of music, not just the typically bass-heavy genres.

Be interested to see what comes of this, tried a quick search of US forums, but am at work, and should be working.

I have noticed recently that my standard sub bottoms out on some music I play through the system, and have thought about finding a solution some time

In terms of the size of the sub itself, the travel of the sub is the key, so an 8inch unit will shift the air of a 12" unit, but the 8inch has to travel further, this causes all sorts of issue around magnet design and the non-linearity you get with long throw base units. However a good sub amp and speaker set up with feedback to handle magnetic inertia will make the signal cleaner and so the end sound better.

My view is that the car is such an acoustic nightmare (all that metal and wave disruption) and when the car is moving the underlying flexing of the car adds all sorts of other non-manageable bass from a panel resonance etc.

So I would personally just see if you can get a high spec long- throw bass unit that fits into the existing gap.

Having a reasonably high end system at home and having compared it to really high end (10K+ home audio) you start to get diminishing returns pretty quickly when it comes to bass.

A 30Hz wave needs 11.6 meters to operate freely in, and that is a bit of a challenge, because even if you use a folded horn as a cabinet for the new bass speaker, it will not be air-impedance matched by an 11.6 meter space in the car. (Unless of course you tow a ruddy great speaker trailer, you sit it it, and let a chauffeur do the rest).

• Like 1

Be interested to see what comes of this, tried a quick search of US forums, but am at work, and should be working.

I have noticed recently that my standard sub bottoms out on some music I play through the system, and have thought about finding a solution some time

In terms of the size of the sub itself, the travel of the sub is the key, so an 8inch unit will shift the air of a 12" unit, but the 8inch has to travel further, this causes all sorts of issue around magnet design and the non-linearity you get with long throw base units. However a good sub amp and speaker set up with feedback to handle magnetic inertia will make the signal cleaner and so the end sound better.

My view is that the car is such an acoustic nightmare (all that metal and wave disruption) and when the car is moving the underlying flexing of the car adds all sorts of other non-manageable bass from a panel resonance etc.

So I would personally just see if you can get a high spec long- throw bass unit that fits into the existing gap.

Having a reasonably high end system at home and having compared it to really high end (10K+ home audio) you start to get diminishing returns pretty quickly when it comes to bass.

A 30Hz wave needs 11.6 meters to operate freely in, and that is a bit of a challenge, because even if you use a folded horn as a cabinet for the new bass speaker, it will not be air-impedance matched by an 11.6 meter space in the car. (Unless of course you tow a ruddy great speaker trailer, you sit it it, and let a chauffeur do the rest).

eerm understood come parts of that LOL - although some words looked familar to what we learned is science class many years ago.

seriously you guys know alot better than i do - me having never attempted anything like - recently my amplifier packed up and i did look into replacing it with a standard unit but that is impossible with all the lexus wiring and connectors so in the end paid £285 to get it repaired.

There isn't anything wrong with it, not sure why you assume it needs fixing? The stock system doesn't play as low as it would with a 12" amplified sub, simple.

I also dabble in high end home audio and I know that you have to have the right speakers for the job. The small 8" factory sub isn't going to play cleanly down to 30 - 35Hz.

We listen to all sorts of music and whilst you feel the factory bass response might be ok for Jazz and Blues, nothing beats a sub when it comes to Drum n Bass, Dubstep, Hiphop, RnB, Reggae etc. In fact, I would say a proper sub improves ALL genres of music, not just the typically bass-heavy genres.

You asked for ideas and I gave you what I thought. Wont bother again. Mike

Hi Mike

No need to be like that :( I was asking if anyone else had done the same that's all. My sub isn't broken, it's just I know a bigger, properly amplified sub will sound a lot better.

I guess for us " normal " ( hahahahahaha ) souls, the quality of the sound coming from the Ls400 tapedeck is simply marvellous :tomato:

Malc

Oh crikey, i'm abnormal for wanting even better sound! Haha :) In all seriousness, the stock system is very good so I don't want to change anything else, i'm just craving a better low end response which the stock 8" sub physically isn't capable of.

I am toying with the idea of replacing it with a decent long-throw 8" driver (and amp to suit), however free-air subs typically aren't brilliant compared to enclosed. So neat replacement 8" driver in stock location with better sound, or an enclosure in the boot with miles better sound? Decisions decisions! :zorro:

Hi Mike

No need to be like that :( I was asking if anyone else had done the same that's all. My sub isn't broken, it's just I know a bigger, properly amplified sub will sound a lot better.

Like I said I wont bother again.

Hi Mike

Crikey, who rattled your cage!? I came on and asked for views on something I was planning to do, you then question what i'm wanting to do by implying my stereo is broken, i'm not daft you know!

I'm sorry if i've inadvertently upset you. I want as many different views as possible :)

Yoda,

still interested to see what you come up with.

I did acoustic engineering years ago, but the only time I have ever heard truly satisfactory bass is at the royal albert hall when they let loose with the bass stops (which are 32 and 64 foot long), and when I listened to some Tannoy Westminsters in a stonking great room over 60 foot long

All the sealed cabinet is doing is creating the effect of an infinite baffle, and having not really looked at the system on my LS, I always assume the back shelf was a form of infinite baffle, which is why it sounds (not that bad).

One thing you might try is talking to the guys at IPL Acoustics down in Devon - they make audio for home, but I know from past experience of buying home audio gear they know a fair bit about how to squeeze really high quality bass our of small boxes with big and small bass units.

They do not do car gear, but they may be able to give you some ideas to kick about. They were advocates of low distortion highly efficient speakers with high linearity across the coil gap.

Also might be worth speaking to Wilmslow Audio (near Leicester) , not had personal experience of them, but had mates in past rave about them.

Hi Mike

Crikey, who rattled your cage!? I came on and asked for views on something I was planning to do, you then question what i'm wanting to do by implying my stereo is broken, i'm not daft you know!

I'm sorry if i've inadvertently upset you. I want as many different views as possible :)

How long have you been a member on here? Try learning some manners. You opened up a disscussion on subwoofers and I gave you what I thought. We dont know if there is anything wrong with your system and unless you have compared it with another LS you wont know. You asked us for our views and I gave you mine. In future if you dont want anybody to tell you what they think dont bother asking the question.

The length of my membership is irrelevant. I do have manners, my reply to you wasn't rude in any way.

Unfortunately you seem to have taken great offence that I dare to improve my stock system. I did want other peoples opinions hence posting up, but your reply implies I don't know what i'm on about. I specifically stated that the stock system is good quality, but I just wanted to improve on the subwoofer side of things.

I apologised for upsetting you, but if you're still in a tizz about it then i'll leave you to it. The internet is a brilliant resource for learning new things, making new friends, no time to waste having arguments! :)

Yoda,

still interested to see what you come up with.

Hi Pete

Thanks for the informative reply. I've played around with audio in cars before and i'm looking forward to improving the sound in the LS400. The usual recipe would be a decent headunit, new speakers, a proper amp to power them and then a subwoofer with its own amp. However i'm not going down that road with the LS400 as the stock system is quite good as it is, plus messing around with a new headunit would be a crime. Simple upgrade therefore is the subwoofer side of things as I know they make a huge difference to the overall sound. Will carry on my research and will post up in due course :)

If anyone else has modified their system then do post up :)

I've still do do some kind of aux input to the stock system too, so need to find a shopping list for those bits!

Many thanks

The length of my membership is irrelevant. I do have manners, my reply to you wasn't rude in any way.

Unfortunately you seem to have taken great offence that I dare to improve my stock system. I did want other peoples opinions hence posting up, but your reply implies I don't know what i'm on about. I specifically stated that the stock system is good quality, but I just wanted to improve on the subwoofer side of things.

I apologised for upsetting you, but if you're still in a tizz about it then i'll leave you to it. The internet is a brilliant resource for learning new things, making new friends, no time to waste having arguments! :)

(There isn't anything wrong with it, not sure why you assume it needs fixing? )

We dont know you and we have no idea of your knowledge of anything so yes the first thing is to find out if there is something wrong with the system. It was just an idea which you took exception too. It is rare for any member to say their audio system is lacking in any dept. You can stick an entire stage PA system in the back of your car for all I care, it wont sound any better. Thats my opinion if you dont like it lump it.

As I said to you before I wont bother again

I changed the headunit on mine, which as you know meant i lost the amp/sub

so I went for an 8" pioneer sub in the oem location, with a pioneer amp but I built a discreet sub box on the underside of the parcel shelf, meaning the boots firewall carpet hides the lot so it still looks 100% totally stock in the boot

sounds very good

We dont know you and we have no idea of your knowledge of anything so yes the first thing is to find out if there is something wrong with the system. It was just an idea which you took exception too. It is rare for any member to say their audio system is lacking in any dept. You can stick an entire stage PA system in the back of your car for all I care, it wont sound any better. Thats my opinion if you dont like it lump it.

I agree, PA systems aren't good quality generally, they are just loud. Fairly basic info there!

I take it that you don't think a proper sub will make the system sound better, that just shows your ignorance point blank. If you don't bother educating yourself about car audio, then you can't make assumptions like that.

Funny how you had no idea of my knowledge? Couldn't you take an educated guess from the content of my post?

I changed the headunit on mine, which as you know meant i lost the amp/sub

so I went for an 8" pioneer sub in the oem location, with a pioneer amp but I built a discreet sub box on the underside of the parcel shelf, meaning the boots firewall carpet hides the lot so it still looks 100% totally stock in the boot

sounds very good

That sounds like a great solution, wouldn't mind having a listen to that! Did you make it out of MDF or some kind of fibreglass install? It's sealed I presume?

I agree, PA systems aren't good quality generally, they are just loud. Fairly basic info there!

I take it that you don't think a proper sub will make the system sound better, that just shows your ignorance point blank. If you don't bother educating yourself about car audio, then you can't make assumptions like that.

Funny how you had no idea of my knowledge? Couldn't you take an educated guess from the content of my post?

If you have so much knowledge why are you asking for it? Clearly not as knowledgable as you like to think you are.

If you have so much knowledge why are you asking for it? Clearly not as knowledgable as you like to think you are.

Oh gosh, you are getting childish now, please stop! :)

• Like 1

Yeah its a sealed MDF box that i made myself

Good stuff, do you by any chance have any pics of the install? Wouldn't mind having a look behind the boot firewall carpet, I might have to wait till the weekend though :(

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links