Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is 300H Or Diesel...

Hi, living in Sweden and been driving a RX 300 for a long time as our private car, and its a perfect ride with air susp. etc. Today Im commuting 1000 km/ week... Yes, Im actually working in Oslo while living outside Stockholm and it adds some miles on the tach. Im going to order a new company car, nice problem of course... The IS 300 H is on the top of my list, really like the comfort and appearence, but since Im doing basically 95% of my distances on highways and 120 km/h or more, is it economical or is it diesel that is the way to go? Ive been reading threads etc. but since I have quite extreme consumtion of miles I would like to hear from someone that owns the car what to expect on fast highway milage... Another backdraft is of course that in Sweden/Norway 4wd is preferable, but survived in a 320d earlier on...

Have a nice evening

/C

At those speeds I'd say a diesel would be better for economy but the different probably wouldn't be that much. What is the cost different in Sweden between petrol and diesel? Here in the UK with diesel being more expensive the running costs become more equal.

How about an NX?

Hi I've been reading as bad numbers as 0,8/km and then it becomes an issue with my amount of miles... Diff between diesel and petrol in Sweden is moderate, 15%... I could easily live with the A5 or Merc C, but IS is way ahead in my point of view, really like the car, if not ave 0,8 highway... NX, nope, will not change my RX 300, actually runs under litre highway and is perfect for its purposes :)

Christian:

See my post of 28 June 2014 under Tank Range. In summary, for an all-motorway drive of 1650km from Italy to

Denmark (via Jutland, no ferries) with just about everything a cross-Europe motorway route can throw at you in the

way of physical geography, roadworks, traffic intensity around cities etc. (but not bad weather on this occasion),

the 300h, with one passenger and a full boot, consumed 14.9km/l at an average speed of 103kmh. The return trip

over exactly the same route substantially confirmed these figures, the average speed having dropped to 96kmh

because of heavier traffic and some rain but with a slight improvement in consumption to 15.2km/h.

On the basis of these figures, I reckon 15km/l to be the realistic figure for the 300h's consumption on longish-to-

long motorway or fast-road drives but believe there could be an appreciable improvement if it would ever be

possible to keep up a steady speed for long stretches while broadly observing the customary 110-120-130kmh

limits.

Personally, unless you objectively believe these numbers could be much improved, I would keep the 300h at the

top of your list on grounds of long-drive comfort alone.

Excuse my ignorance Rabbers but do your figures equate to something like 42mpg in English, or have I got my sums wrong, many many moons since I left school!!!!

Close to 42.4 mpUKg. Figures based on liters consumed between full-tank starts and low-fuel warnings, car computer

tends to be more optimistic by 2-3%.

If your doing long high speed and long distance commuting I think your wouldn't beat a diesel for economy.

For the last 18 months I've been doing a 100 mile daily commute in our 2.2 diesel Civic, longterm average mpg currently is around 55, so about 23 km/L? The Civic is also far less efficient than the turbo 2.0L diesel units from BMW/VW group, so if I was still doing massive commutes daily a turbo diesel unit would be the only engine I would consider for the commuter car, especially if your going to be doing 600miles+ a week!!

Although the most annoying thing I found with doing long commutes was having to fuel up mid-week, so I always tried to make a tank last till end of the week, which meant some fun trips playing the 'low fuel warning' game....probably wasn't the best idea but I found out the fuel gauge needle actually still works below the red line :msn-oh:.

Though 40-50mpg in the IS for the same trips I would find quite acceptable. When I use our 3l petrol twin turbo petrol BMW to do the commute I spent about £120+ on fuel in one week alone, compared to £50 for the Civic. £70-80 of fuel in the BMW got me less than 300 miles range. You could see the fuel gauge needle dropping every time I accelerated to do an overtake....though I did do ALOT of overtaking, which probably was part of the reason why my fuel bill was so high for the BMW weeks :innocent: .

• 1 month later...

Hi, signed in via FB... I decided to buy the IS 300h, pearlwhite with black rims, very satisfied. It was in the shop so delivered a week ago. Been experienced blizzard among others, and its much more competent then the Beamer in snow. Probably contribution from the batpack and the weight... Running on Michelin X Ice. The first trip to Oslo, mainly highway (120-130 km/h) and B-roads gave a consumption of 0,54 on the trip c, probably a little more IRL but good enough... The distance is around 470 km. All and all its the best car Ive ever had, so far, and there has been a few of them. No problems with GPS, Iphones nothing, everything works like a charm. And no diesel :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links