Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Somethings Not Right

Fidgits

As you may know, about a month ago, I got lowering springs fitted to my car... very happy indeed, no complaints...

Last friday, I had the wheels aligned (as I was advised by you good people) at the dealer.

I havent really driven the car since then, until tonight, and something isnt quite right. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but the car just doesnt feel right, the only word i can think of is 'unbalanced'.

So I think I need to give the dealer a call, and see what he says, but i was wondering if you guys had any ideas to what an aligment could do to cause a problem??

I've had various problems with mine "not feeling quite right" after wheel alignment. (eg rear end follows front too much, feels like its trying to drift left at the rear, etc) There is scope for them to alter the feel within the spec so it's definitely worth getting them to have another go and explaining as best you can how it feels. I don't think I've ever been happy with the first attempt at wheel alignment by anyone.

Maybe I'm just fussy but that's why I bought a Lexus :)

i had a similar problem after i had two new rear tyres fitted, afterwards the car felt like it was snaking when i turned the steering wheel slightly, i then had all four wheel aligned, didnt make any difference, however, a friend pointed out something that i think may be the cause.

On one of the rear wheels there are more lead balancing weights than the other, and when couple dwith my suspicion that when they fitted the tyres they ahd swopped over the alloys from left to right. i think the rear wheels are now not balanced correctly, i dont know if when you balance wheels, you do so for one direction of travel..

This is an immotive subject for me aswell. In the past with different cars etc... I have literally had it tracked at one place, gone up the road to another who say it's out !

The problem seems to be the equipment and set up the garages use, abuse and all that, their machine tells them it's OK but it's not, it's just the best they can do.

I now go to a rally car prep company in Norwich (an 80 mile trip ) as they have one of the only "Sun" set ups laid in tons of concrete and boy is it accurate.

Since then never had issues and whatever car I go in with it comes out fine. My suggestion would be to find a race prep guy near to you as these boys don't mess about as it's serious stuff to them and most are more than willing to take your car in.

They even weight the cars down to the specs to ensure any pre load on the suspension is accounted for before adjusting.

Normal costs vary from around £47 upto £300 if you have KDS done including setting the steering box straight and working out from there although that 's only necessary if you have a rebuilt front end to set up.

The same goes for wheel balancing, make sure you at least have it done on a machine with the studs adapters on not just the cone type.

It may seem a lot of bother but if your like me spending anything from £600-850 for a set of decent tyres the last thing you want is uneven wear.

Cheers

Rich

had my allignment doen a lexus with there laser stuff.

Same here, and this is the reason i went to the dealer...

I figured out what it is, before it was effortless to cruise on the motorway etc.. whereas now, i'm having to work to keep the car in a straight line.. :blink:

Naaa.. the workman took it for a spin, adjusted it, took it out again...

meanwhile, one of the sales guys was trying to convince me to buy a newer IS they had on the forcourt...

I have no idea how much they adjusted it, but they got it spot on!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links