Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Firstly, sorry for starting a thread on a theme I'm sure has been covered - I wasn't sure if this was better than dragging up an old thread.

I bought a 58 plate 220d about 18 months ago, it's got 57,000 on the clock and (as mentioned in a post elsewhere) I'm trying to decide weather to trade it in whilst it still has some decent value in it or weather to run it till it explodes. Obviously with this model the head gasket is an issue - the Lexus dealer I bought it from said it had been replaced and sent me a document confirming a number of replaced items classed as 'warranty work'. The list is as follows;

Converter, Main

Valve Assy, EGR

Insulator, Mani

Gasket, Exhaust

Gasket, EGR Valv

Tube, No.1

Gskt.EGR VALVE

So basically, as somebody with no mechanical knowledge what so ever - does that look about right and it's been replaced fully, or is it still going to be prone to major naughtiness?

The service history is full but not 100% dealer (Last one was Kwik Fit for it's sins!), does this mean, if the above work isn't the full replacement, should it go wrong the extended warranty is no longer valid?

Any advice would be much appreciated. If I can relax knowing it's not going to ave a fatal error any time soon I'll probably keep it for the long haul, if not I may decide to quit whlist I'm ahead!

Thanks Steve, that was my suspicion, however it's got a compliment slip stapled to it from the dealer saying "Here is the print out for the head gasket work" - Have they cocked it up or have I been swindled?

There's certainly no head gasket work there. The exhaust gasket replaced does fit to the cylinder head, but it is not the gasket which fits between the cylinder head and the block, which is the major expense one if it blows. The EGR gasket is between the exhaust manifold and the valve.

EGR work is common on diesels (they get blocked, expecially if the car is used for short journeys).

To repeat a theme often seen on here - modern diesels (ie ones with EGRs and DPFs etc) are only suitable if you do big mileages on motorways. Otherwise they are nothing but trouble.

Thanks guys, i'll raise it with the dealer to see if they have any other paperwork for me.

Regarding the question about the extended warrenty, would having it serviced away from the dealer void this? My concern is that Ive not kept up the 100% dealer servicing as Id been told the warrenty work had already been done, if this isnt the case and the gasket does go I could be liable for the works due to bad advice from the dealer.

Re the warrranty - as long as it's been serviced properly the warranty should still apply. The problem is - proving it's been done properly. Just one minor thing (even if apparently unrelated) can blow the whole thing.

I'm not sure why you would be so keen that the head gasket has been replaced. That's not a good thing. It is generally done because the car has overheated, or the blowing itself causes the car to overheat and that tends to warp the head (in any car, but the IS220D seems prone to major damage). And in that case the head needs to be replaced, if not the whole engine. All that sort of thing is very unlikely at 25000 miles.

But it seems to be common (but not inevitable) before 100K miles!

I'm keen that it's been replaced on the theory that if it's already been fixed it won't go again...right? Isn't the warranty work done to fix a manufacturing fault?

It's on 57,000 miles now, hence the 'stick or twist' debate I'm having with myself.

Well, sometimes warranty work is to fix manufacturing faults but it's also done to fix faults which arise in service during the warranty period, formal or otherwise sometimes. If the head gasket hasn't been replaced it probably hasn't got a manufacturing fault in the head gasket area and the problem hasn't arisen.

I'm afraid it's wishful thinking that if it's been done it for sure won't go again. Or even if it hasn't. IS220Ds seem to have an Achille's heel in that the head gasket blows. Probably not due to a manufacturing problem but more due to some inherent design problem. Lexus have, after all, given up on diesel engines!

But they don't all go at stupidly low mileages. Yours could last until you want to sell the car anyway. Roll the dice!

reminds me of my old Rover 45. Their engines were known to blow head gaskets i stupidly bought one thinking i would be fine. almost a year later guess what the head gasket went. had a new one fitted which lasted a year and half and went again i gave up and part ex'd it... so fact that Lexus has replaced those parts does not mean it wont fail again. a design fault is a design fault nothing you can do but just hung in there until it goes again might not be under your ownership if you lucky, but it will go again.

I've contacted the dealer and they have confirmed that the work hasn't been done. They've also said that the extended warranty is for 7 years which mine is approaching anyway so It's a gamble really!!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links