Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Little Of The Shines Gone

Well I bought a rather pricey LS400 which looks and drives like new (not surprising with 27k on the clock and a FSH from Lexus) and the only faults I found were the pixel problem on the stereo and the alarm wasn't working so I had to open with the key. Not major issues but what really irked me was that the seller said the alarm was working it probably just needed a new Battery in the fob. Well I'd like to know how it was working because the alarm was physically not there and whoever removed it had done a seriously bad job of it. It irks me because I still would have bought it had I known the alarm had been removed. It irks me because now I am wondering (probably un-necessarily) what else has been hidden.

Whenever I sell a car I lay everything on the table, warts and all. That way I feel good in myself because I haven't misled someone they go away feeling they have bought a vehicle knowing what they need to do should they have the desire to right it.

I hope I don't find too many other gremlins as I have already shelled out on new tires and now a new alarm.

That said I am astonished at how quiet and refined the ride is on what is a 20 year old motor. Their are no bumps rattles or squeaks. Honestly amazed.

Yes that is a shame - agree, when I sell something, like you, I point everything out - being transparent and managing expectations just seems the right thing to do. Never heard of an alarm

being removed either!

Pointless driving yourself mad with wondering what else might be not be what it seems - chances are everything else will be spot on.

Just enjoy the drive.

Nick

If the fob "probably needs a new battery" I would have asked why for a couple of quid the owner had not fitted one before selling the car,it's similar when you see "aircon needs a regas". Cars generally with a FLSH have their keyfob batteries replaced as part of the service.

Still no good crying over spilt milk as the saying goes, it's now yours so hopefully no further finds will emerge does make me wonder why the alarm system was removed/bypassed though.

Plus new tyres immediately after purchase, I hope the "pricey" price was reduced accordingly.

You are right about the Battery Steve. Lexus probably would have replaced it. So many things to check out when your buying. I did all the right things. Read various buyers guides and looked for common faults here and on other sites then looked for them when inspecting the car. I knew I was in for a bill for the dodgy pixels on the radio and I was expecting the tires to need replacing as a 20 year old car with so little miles will usually have old tires on them, not worn but old rubber. I did realise their might be more to the alarm issue than met the eye as it only had the one fob. A car in this condition, with the service record and receipts it had was not going to be missing a fob.

I negotiated the price down accordingly but the lie about the alarm just pee'd me off. He wouldn't have budged any more as he had another buyer lined up so their was no benefit to him not to disclose the alarm issue.

I've seen a few posts about the alarm. Cars of that era had the Scorpion alarm fitted which seems to be a bit temperamental. One of the fixes is to simply remove it or replace it.

I've replaced the missing item with a new Thatcham 1 unit (well the car alarm man did) and the one downside is he has had to fit ugly after market sensors as the originals wouldn't work with the new alarm. Oh well at least I don't need to open the car with the key now.

................... these cars can and do drive like a " dream " even with 168k miles on the clock ( like mine ) if they have been looked after well.

Hopes your car will perform and last the way you envisage it will.

BUT never trust a car seller tho' eh !!!

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links