Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

OK So, I'm no boy racer. I just purchased for a good price on the bay, a new Ripspeed Air induction kit. I bought it to replace an old fashioned wire air filter on my Mercedes OM636 Boat engine as the wire mesh is really rusty. I was surprised how large it is and thinking it may not fit within the existing engine housing area, I wondered if I may try it on the Lexus.

Before I get shot down in flames I would say,

1, I don't like messing with replacing original parts

2, I only recently replaced the air filter (cost more than this kit)

3. if performance is dependent on the coldness of the air, then being under the bonnet is not likely to be as good for the engine, as airflow from ouside.

4. I will need a flange connector.

Has anyone tried this modification?

I drive my Mk4 about without the air induction plastics that go across the top of the radiator, I test drove it that way once after replacing the starter contacts and decided I like the subtle induction roar that the Lexus engineers had been at pains to silence.

in all honesty you are better off leaving it standard, as all you will end up doing is drawing warm air in from the engine bay, it may sound good, but you will reduce the engine power

I drive my Mk4 about without the air induction plastics that go across the top of the radiator, I test drove it that way once after replacing the starter contacts and decided I like the subtle induction roar that the Lexus engineers had been at pains to silence.

When I recently changed my air filter it was apparant that some water had got into it and this was with the full conduit parts in place.

You could do what the americans do. Cut out a section of the airbox. Buy a cheap used box from eBay so you have the original as backup. = Standard but louder induction roar.

in all honesty you are better off leaving it standard, as all you will end up doing is drawing warm air in from the engine bay, it may sound good, but you will reduce the engine power

I can't disagree with you, but against that, there's the plus of getting a slightly less restricted air flow. I know that any mods to the properly designed system are usually a bad idea, but one of the parameters the original designers had was quietness balanced against air flow.

Its pulling air from inside the engine bay, yes, but it is at the front and I am in Scotland, the ambient air up here is 6 degrees today, so I'm betting the air in the engine bay is a darn sight cooler than outside air in say, California!

Drilling out a spare airbox would be an option, too

Looking at the write up and photo's on this one, I was particularly interested as for a long time I've been planning to instal a single point LPG system (against all advice) and having purchased a V8 Range Rover brand new front end kit for £200 the photo of the layout given here is interesting compared to other installations. The mixer attached to the Throttel body I've not seen one this large before.

Not sure I'm too impressed by the "Induction system" here. Looks like asking for trouble with the amount of dust that gets under the bonnet.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-LS400-LPG-CONVERTED-TOYOTA-CELSIOR-GREAT-EXTRAS-JAP-IMPORT-/301608088735

I'm planning on fitting a Dyson multi vortex vacuum cleaner on mine, it works by connecting it to the vacuum lines and providing extra suction,dragging more air into the inlet manifold and therefore producing a lot more power from the engine whereas a supercharger blows more air in.

It's very consistent as there is no bag to get clogged so no loss of suction,just clean the hepa filter every 6000 miles.

I've had it running really well with the car parked but discovered on a road test the mains lead is a little short and the plug comes out of the socket in the garage after travelling 10 yards, I'm obviously still working on this small annoying problem but have seen a 50 metre extension cable on amazon.

:)

• Like 3

Arr the ingenuity of it Steve. Actually looking at that car for sale photo's the air filter hole is just right for a Computer fan to be fitted in reverse and at 12v no need for that extension lead! Couldn't cope myself with all that extra power

I'm planning on fitting a Dyson multi vortex vacuum cleaner on mine, it works by connecting it to the vacuum lines and providing extra suction,dragging more air into the inlet manifold and therefore producing a lot more power from the engine whereas a supercharger blows more air in.

It's very consistent as there is no bag to get clogged so no loss of suction,just clean the hepa filter every 6000 miles.

I've had it running really well with the car parked but discovered on a road test the mains lead is a little short and the plug comes out of the socket in the garage after travelling 10 yards, I'm obviously still working on this small annoying problem but have seen a 50 metre extension cable on Amazon.

:)

Steve, may this newbie suggest a solution to the one possible issue with your method?

You need one of these:

phoenix-inverter-24v3000-228x228.jpg

Now, unless you are going to mount it under on the bonnet you will need to bash a couple of holes in the bulkhead for the two croc clips, (or if you are the sophisticated type that prefers a remote earth, one croc clip for the Battery +ve). Granted bulkhead hole(s) will increase the noise level, but isn't that what most of us with an LS want?

I think it would slip unobtrusively onto the near side back seat; you could even offer it a seat belt if you are a health & safety nut.

Please don't heap praise & awards upon me. Just knowing I have made a useful contribution to this insurmountable forum is sufficient reward for me. Thank you :)

Best place to seek advice is those that power tune Lexus for racing.

They will identify any quick wins in tuning £/efficiency and be able to given more precision on the weak/low performance areas of the induction circuit.

What usually happens is that if you raise the induction process, to release the benefits you need to add staright through sports exhausts and possibly sports CATS. You get a completely different exhaust noise! That's quite a few £ for not a massive BHP increase and to modestly get 30-45 HP whilst retaining reliability, you need to remap the engine to ensure it works efficiently with the mods you make.

Given the silly low prices of Lexus, probably worth getting the latest and quickest varient.

How about adding a supercharger? Now you can just do that to a standard engine.

all an induction kit will do is make more noise you wont get any more power, you cant remap these ecu's, the only way you get proper power is by turbo/supercharging

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links