Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

No Traction !

Bob King

As i'm sure alot of you guys have found out over the past couple of days, how poor ,a wide low profile tyre is in the snow and ice :angry: .

There has been some minor discussion on the IS section ,about how poor the grip has been in this weather, that got me thinking ,so i had a look on www.mytyres.co.uk and www.tyretest.com and the only tyre that works well in the snow is a Michelin Pilot Alpin, but at £138.00, its not a cheap option.

sorry to be blunt here but ... it is not the car, its the tyres - end of story.

the reasons why people are having trouble in the snow at the moment are

1. you have normal tyres, which below 7C become pretty much useless for grip on anything more than a wet road.

2. YOU HAVE SUMMER TYRES! the compound is hard and the tread patterns are designed to disperse water NOT provide grip on snow and ice.

3. the majority of people dont know how to drive in snow.

I didnt know to to drive in snow until last year when i had to face a very steep learning curve - know how and what to do or your car goes over the edge of a mountain/ into an oncoming car.

I have winter tyres fitted and i go boarding nearly every weekend in the heart of the swiss alps, i have never had a problem and this includes going up very steep mountain passes that have 10 cm + of snow on them.

difference between a winter tyre and a summer tyre

on the subject of tyres, the michelin alpins are very good, as are blizzaks, but any decent branded winter tyres are ok eg NOT Hankook style tyres :yack:

Lots of comments on whether its the cars or the tyres, I' ve witnessed some pretty bad driving ! just maybe the drivers have something to do with it.

No can't be.

that plays a huge part in it! if you dont know how to drive in snow then you will be all over the road, but even with summer tyres you can get around, you just need to know how to drive properly

I would have thought you need a second set of alloys to swap the wheels when the weather changes.

try to avoid using alloys if possible during the winter months - salt, snow chains etc unless they are cheap crappy ones. for winter most people here use a 16" steel rim with a 205/50(55) tyre on it ( IS specific) . when the winter is over the wheels are just stacked in the garage till next year.

as i dont want to buy another set of rims ( i already have 3 sets of alloys) i am using my original wheels for the winter, ok the 17" winter tyres are a bit expensive, but im not that bothered, just remember to wash the wheels off after you come back from the trip.

also if u have your car lowered make sure that the snow chains actually clear the arches :excl::excl: and u can fit them ok.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links