Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ipod/iphone 3g Solution - Final Decision Time

You may remember I was looking for a solution where I could use my Iphone 3G in the RX...after a look in the audio section of this site i saw something called the GROM interface. For about £70 it seems like a bargain compared to the VAIS/Dennison solution...

Anyone have any experience?? The chaps in the IS section seem to rave about it so can't be bad IMO...

The Carputer website says it's just plug and play so fingers crossed should be an easy install...any tips?? I saw this posting about how to take the radio out. Any other tips??

Ta,

Noman

I don't think it's as good as the Vaistech one in terms of integration.............us IS owners rave about the grom because it's our only real option.

I don't think the grom gives you as much on screen info or control as the vais does, not sure about the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I went for the GROM AUDIO Version 2 in the end (as it worked with the Iphone 3G) and picked it up yesterday! Using the link in my initial post I set about taking the stereo out. Good news for all you peeps yet to try it is that it really is SO simple! The only tricky part was removing the two (almost hidden) screws holding the radio in - the danger being that they would fall in. Looks like the owner or dealer who had the car before me must have taken the unit out as one of the really-tricky-to-remove-without-dropping screws were already missing!

The cable I had to use by the way was the "TOY" cable and NOT the "TOY1" variety. One of the smaller existing connectors on the stereo had to come out and plug into the "Y" cable (i.e. the "TOY" one) before plugging back into the main GROM unit. All nice and easy.

Anyway, whole process only took about 30mins and everything worked first time. I will now buy a phone holder (probably a Brodit one) that can hold the Iphone in place while I drive. Another plus point is that the stereo controls also work AND so does the CD changer.

Definitely recommended. I'm now going to get one for her indoors and her IS!

Many, many thanks to all that provided the much needed advice. B)

Radio removed and testing everything:

IMG_0014.jpg

Wires at the back of the unit:

IMG_0012.jpg

Cables & plugs at the back of the unit:

IMG_0016.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I ordered one of these fr my RX300 and Ipod Classic, after loads of emails, several chip updates and months of waiting for the post from California, GROM finally admitted it wouldnt work and asked for the unit to be sent back.

I have phoned several times since and they are claiming that its lost in the post.

Trouble is I have an Iphone now and could relay do with some decent intergration, rather than using the crappy tape converter.

Where did you get your GROM from ?

And exactly what model of radio do you have, as it looks very similar to the one I have ?

I bought mine from the UK distributor. Check out their website here.

As for the radio model - I have no idea which one other than it's the one fitted to the SE-L with the Mark Levinson and sat nav system. Best to check with the dealer if possible just in case they changed the connections, etc. between different model years but I don't believe they did. The only change to the stereo I know about came with the much newer cars where you could play DVD's through it.

I can't rate this highly enough. Charges and plays all the tunes and I can't believe I ever did without it. I know the Vais one is meant to be better integration with screen info, etc. but I never look at the track info anyway B)

As for the radio model - I have no idea which one other than it's the one fitted to the SE-L with the Mark Levinson and sat nav system. Best to check with the dealer if possible just in case they changed the connections, etc. between different model years but I don't believe they did. The only change to the stereo I know about came with the much newer cars where you could play DVD's through it.

I can't rate this highly enough. Charges and plays all the tunes and I can't believe I ever did without it. I know the Vais one is meant to be better integration with screen info, etc. but I never look at the track info anyway B)

I bought one of these 2-3 weeks ago. Lexus offered to fit it for me at the equivalent of 30 mins labour (£45). I took it down to them one morning, it took them 10 mins to fit it and 2hrs 10mins to try and get it to work! 90 mins into their attempts to get it to work, it shut down my sat nav, climate control, stereo and heated seats.... This took 15 mins to put right again.

Eventually after going in to the workshop and seeing them struggle to get it to work, i was so fed up (particularly as i had seen 3 Griffin i-trip autopilot's break in the last 2 months!), i asked Lexus to fit their official aftermarket ipod adaptor. After confirming to me that my ipod touch 2g would be compatible, they booked me back in a couple of days later to have the work done and as a gesture of good will, only charged me for the unit of £140, not the labour to fit it. To make things even more pleasing for me, although they took 2hrs 20mins to try and fit the GROM, they only charged me an hours labour (£90), which they would have charged to fit the official aftermarket one anyway.

I have spoken to the very helpful gentleman who sold me the GROM from a company called Carputer.com and he is going to refund me and let the makers know what their interface did to my car and he has asked them to contact me directly, not that i expect any response.

In summary: GROM system- Rubbish, and, more importantly, potentially dangerous to electrics in the car!

Lexus official system- Is not as good as it could be, but gives me access to 6 playlists/artists etc with up to 99 songs in each. All i need really.....

Lexus Plymouth- Very reasonable dealer, that puts customers first....

I bought one of these 2-3 weeks ago. Lexus offered to fit it for me at the equivalent of 30 mins labour (£45). I took it down to them one morning, it took them 10 mins to fit it and 2hrs 10mins to try and get it to work! 90 mins into their attempts to get it to work, it shut down my sat nav, climate control, stereo and heated seats.... This took 15 mins to put right again.

Eventually after going in to the workshop and seeing them struggle to get it to work, i was so fed up (particularly as i had seen 3 Griffin i-trip autopilot's break in the last 2 months!), i asked Lexus to fit their official aftermarket ipod adaptor. After confirming to me that my ipod touch 2g would be compatible, they booked me back in a couple of days later to have the work done and as a gesture of good will, only charged me for the unit of £140, not the labour to fit it. To make things even more pleasing for me, although they took 2hrs 20mins to try and fit the GROM, they only charged me an hours labour (£90), which they would have charged to fit the official aftermarket one anyway.

I have spoken to the very helpful gentleman who sold me the GROM from a company called Carputer.com and he is going to refund me and let the makers know what their interface did to my car and he has asked them to contact me directly, not that i expect any response.

In summary: GROM system- Rubbish, and, more importantly, potentially dangerous to electrics in the car!

Lexus official system- Is not as good as it could be, but gives me access to 6 playlists/artists etc with up to 99 songs in each. All i need really.....

Oh dear. It all seems to have gone wrong for your install. I know 6 other people who have now installed the GROM in their RX - 4 of them having the RX400h and the new sat nav system. NONE of them experienced any problems. The installation really is SO quick and easy i'm bewildered as to what could have gone wrong with yours. Glad it's all sorted though - both on your car as well as the refund from Carputer.

The CD player stays, the headunit can support an extra CD changer and it's this input that these adaptors utilise.

Am I right in thinking the Vaistech one is the only one that uses MP3 emulation and not CD emulation?

• 2 months later...
The CD player stays, the headunit can support an extra CD changer and it's this input that these adaptors utilise.

Am I right in thinking the Vaistech one is the only one that uses MP3 emulation and not CD emulation?

http://www.vaistech.com/sl2vi.php

Does anybody know if the video version will allow you to watch videos while the car is in motion? The in-built DVD player does not allow it unless the parking brake is on!

Does anybody know if the video version will allow you to watch videos while the car is in motion? The in-built DVD player does not allow it unless the parking brake is on!

I think what you're looking for is HERE

I think what you're looking for is HERE

Thanks for the pointer. I emailed those guys about 3 months agp and got no reply, so I assumed it was a dodgy site. I wanted to know which version to order and how to fit it on my 07 SE-L - do you happen to know>?

I think you can go for the top of the line lockpick 3 with the newer cars, but unfortunately I don't know for sure. Only came across it looking for some stuff for the Prius but haven't bought anything yet.

A lot of people use their stuff over in the US so I don't think it's dodgy at all, probably best to try calling them as the email may have got lost or something.

6 playlists!!! Keep going. There maybe only 6 on screen, but keep on pressing to get access to 7, 8, 9.... etc. I have the official Lexus system and 42 playlists.

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links