Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Pads - Ferodo Premium F Pads.

I bought some aftermarket front brake pads from Europarts in Jan& had them fitted, nothing but noise when braking. I checked on here to see if any were recommended or at least had been successful, on the braking section it seemed non lexus brake pads are problematic.

So, I took to my regular mechanic & he fitted Ferodo premium (front only) he guaranteed no noise. I have had them on a week now and they are really great, not a murmur or any other probs.

So if anyones uncertain & haven’t yet found any non lexus I recommend these Ferodo, at least for front & rear presumed, cost me £50 pads, £20 fitting.

Mod – please transfer this to brakes section after it’s had enough readings, I thought to put it here first ‘cause it might save people wasted time & money.

Hi

do you get a groan when coming to stop at slow speeds?

I fitted mintex to mine and have the "silence spoiling" groan when coming to a stop

looking forward to your reply

Hi Dave, I've fitted stacks of Ferodo stuff without a problem.

Thought I'd mention that Opie Oils, who are on here and many other motoring forums, have them at £40 for a 99 LS, and there may be more to come off that price in member discount or promotions.

I always ring them to be certain, and they do a price promise too if needed.

What's the brake dust like with them? Reason I ask is I fitted some EBC Ultimax on my rear brakes and they produce so much dust! They also groan and creak when trying to "creep" up to the end wall in the garage (car only just fits in).

Before these I had OEM Lexus pads and had no problems with dust or groaning, fronts are still Lexus OEM thankfully.

I even contacted EBC and was told the dust should minimise over time, well it hasn't. They also said the dust wouldn't damage the wheels but I am fed up having to clean them all the time.

cruisermark- do you get a groan when coming to stop at slow speeds?

I fitted mintex to mine and have the "silence spoiling" groan when

coming to a stop

Yes it sounds the same, its as the slowed down the groaning came, even when coming to a stop. What it sounded like to me was as if the pads were sliding a bit & not gripping properly.

But Mintext, as far as I know, are reputable products & I think that highlights that just by buying a normally reputable make does not mean you’ll get pads that work properly, the “red stuff” pads as mentioned on the other forum are appx £80 on eBay & they sounded really bad, so again, price does not mean anything with aftermarket pads.

I think only pads which people are known to work will work for sure, my mechanic guaranteed the Ferodo Premium as soon as he heard the prob & they seem (in this short time) no noticeable difference between the Ferodo & Lexus, unlikely Ferodo will last as long though (edu guess), so yes what you describe sounds the same as my old pads.

Mikeyv - Thought I'd mention that Opie Oils, who are on here and many other motoring forums, have them at £40 for a 99 LS, and there may be more to come off that price in member discount or promotions.

That’s useful info thanks..

Steve 2006- They also groan and creak when trying to "creep" up to the end wall in the garage (car only just fits in)

Yes I got groaning & creeking when in “creep” mode, seems consitent with the Mintext as well.

Steve 2006- What's the brake dust like with them?

I noticed that in the main brake part where you posted it.To be honest I have never heard of brake dust before I first read your first post on this. I asked when I got these Ferodo put on for them to check, he said no dust, I usually have a habit of checking the discs when I get pads changed, I noticed no dust or other probs with the discs, confirmed by mechanic.

I just don’t know anything about a dust problem with pads.

I understand the dust is quite corrosive hence one reason why the wheels get corroded if left unwashed etc.

Malc

OK, so whereabouts do we look for it?

Have a look at the inner part of the rim and stick you finger in there. If the pads are producing dust you will see it on your finger.

It will also built up on the calipers if present.

As for the corrosion I was under the same impression but do remove my wheels regularly to thoroughly clean them and apply wheel sealer.

ok

Well me being perfectionist have gone and ordered some of these - they arrive friday - will fit them sat and see

Did you order from Opie, and if so what was the price please?

Good grief, they've shot up then, they were £40 without entering any discount codes when I posted.

EDIT:- I might be wrong, so I'd be grateful if someone else could check, but they seem to be still at £40.

Additionally, according to the current offers page on their website, the introductory 25% discount posted by oilman on here in February, is still applicable by using ferodo25 at checkout, so down to £30, presumably plus postage.

Hi cruisemark - let is know your take on 'em when you feel youy've got an opion.

Steve - I understand what you mean now, "behind the wheels" I think what the situation is, its that your an impecable owner keeping your cars in as optimum condition as possible, I'm told although dust and all sorts of road ubbishh can errode all the time, wheel corrosion is never common and not something which is a known 'car problem' or anything people should worry about in general!

I think what the real thing is, its the fact that your a top rate guy at keeping your cars in close to new condition, anyone buying a used car from you will have got it from a top maintainance man.

UPDATE - ok guys ferrodo premium pads arrived and fitted them this evening

Took the LS for a test drive - done lots of stops and go's, lots of creeps,basically i tried hard to get a sound out of them but i couldnt - the groan has truly gone - the braking is sharp, smooth and quite

these pads are very good alternative to genuine ones

for reference part number is FDB 1554 and the sticker on the box says they are suitable for LS from 1994-2000

Total cost £30.35 or there about - i havent checked but i have a funny feeling the mintex ones i took out cost me

Hope this helps others

I'm glad to hear that so my experience is not a one off. Because of my experience with those things and then reading about other makes being as bad on the brakes thread on here I could just see trying anything other than Lexus as an ongoing, nevber ending, 'maybe this time' very costly experiment with no known outcome, I was at a point where I could see no end except Lexus pads & was bloody frustrated, your results look like it's expertiment concluded & tests resolve the issue.

Maybe a mod could make this a sticky somewhere as it applies to a lot of members.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links