Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What viscosity oil do we use

3 hours ago, TimS320 said:

Thanks for link to Tesco. Unfortunately  they seem out of stock!

I would suggest to go in person, I have been in 3 or my local Tescos and all had some is stock. But as said by others, it might be worth to check the date.

I have ask Lexus Woodford about 0W20 and 0W30, but they say they don't know why they are used by other dealers or in Scotland , they do not recommend to use it and put some regular 5W30 in the list. Similarly they don't know where is my courtesy car or why I had to pay for "local lift" myself. I guess this means that is not some kind of dodgy practice, but Lexus Woodford (or should I say Toyota?) are not bothered.

On 28 April 2016 at 10:57 AM, Linas.P said:

5W30 is not labeled Fully-synthetic in Germany, because it is processed from lower grade oil. Obviously, oil in Germany and in UK is exactly the same, just that in UK regulations are different and they can qualify their oil for fully synthetic here.This doesn't mean Magnatec is not good oil, but it rather defends the price difference between Magnatec and Edge (which apparently "genuinely fully synthetic"). Then again, I don't believe it matters if you do your oil on time.

Even if both are fully synthetic there can still be a big difference in performance which is reflected in the price.

IMO Edge, or Mobil 1, is completely overkill for an IS250 driven on the road. If you have a modified engine, a turbo-charged engine, are racing, or extending your service interval to that of a European vehicle then you should consider a high performance oil. Dealers sometimes use these expensive oils, mainly as a way to increase their revenues rather than because the engine needs it.

One of my car takes the edge. service interval is 20,000 miles.

My guess is edge has some speical additive that reduces friction and protects. I think both edge and magetec are fully synthetic in UK. They cannot in your face lie.

Mines having service this afternoon, 6.8 litres of comline 5w 30 fully synthetic. I purchased the kit aircon filter oil filter air filter and oil for 50.00.

Car had air con filter and oil at last service. The air con filter was black as hummer, after 4000mls dealers ripping off and ticking boxes as usual.

Most fully synthectic oil does a multitude of vehicles. Mobil 1 is one of the worst i have put in a vehicle, but each to there own.

You only have to do a reset if the service indicator is showing. I've never seen mine (26K miles in 4 years). In some magic way, the car obviously knows it's had an oil change at least. Maybe there's a little Japanese man installed somewhere, taking notes! :smile:

Service indicator only will come on after 6k miles on my is220d, if it comes on just reset it but I done my oil change when indicater came on but didn't come on after 10k.i just serviced it and no service light. 

2 hours ago, johnatg said:

You only have to do a reset if the service indicator is showing. I've never seen mine (26K miles in 4 years). In some magic way, the car obviously knows it's had an oil change at least. Maybe there's a little Japanese man installed somewhere, taking notes! :smile:

It only applies to the diesel engines, the UK petrol vehicles don't have an oil maintenance warning, only a low level warning.

Today, (following not so great service experience at Lexus Woodford) I was reading through the service history on my car. It appears that Lexus Hedge-End was filling my car with wrong oil for last 3 years (before I have bought it). They used Castrol GTX 5W30 C2.. no wonder the car barely passed emissions test last year.

Lexus Woodford filled the car with "no name" 5W30 (still can be Castrol, but they just didn't bother to type it on the invoice) .. were not bothered to discuss 0W20 or 0W30 options and pretended never knew of such oil being used by different dealers. I am now tempted to throw the "no name" stuff and replace it with Magnatec 5W30 A5 while Tesco bargain prices lasts. Assuming they replaced oil filter that should be fairly easy.

On the side not my car now seems to be "cleaning the air" after service. Exhaust emissions test states that on Fast idle it emits 0.000 Co2 (max 0.2) and on natural idle 0.001 (max 0.3). I wonder - maybe they plugged nearby Prius while running it?

• 1 month later...
Guest bigbullhead
On 16 April 2016 at 7:33 AM, Gramera flash said:

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what oil everyone's using, I would think most use 5w-30 but does anyone use 0w-30?

fully synthetic obviously 

I use Castrol edge C1 low ash when topping up

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links