Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 C .... what to look for?

Looking at getting my wife an IS250 Convertible as she is after a new car, it's either that or an RX400h. Seen a few low mileage 2009/2010 models for sale within budget and want some advice on what to pay particular attention to when viewing. 

Any work that should of been carried out, recalls, particular problems that affect these?

Cheers. 

16 minutes ago, Tom24 said:

Just seen their is a sticky at the top with things to look for....will give that a read. 

Not herd of water pump failures. Brakes are biggest problem, modern cars seem to have this problem.

Just grease them up a couple of times a year. Wheels i would have properly refurbished, or buy a better quality set. Had mine 18 months

had recall on fuel pressure sensor. Awaiting airbag recall, think john put up a link for most faults.

The water pump is probably the only real area of concern with the 4GR-FSE engine, even then it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue. Gearboxes are solid too.

I dare say most 250Cs out there have probably enjoyed a pampered life of occasional use, FLSH etc. Can't be many bad examples around...

Perhaps the brakes might be more susceptible to wear and issues due to the extra weight. Some of the body panels, the rear lights etc are also unique to the convertible and are presumably hard to find and/or expensive to replace, so maybe pay close attention to that type of thing.

I wouldn't worry about the water pump too much. Only problem your likely to encounter is sticking calipers, especially the rear. It's a doddle to grease them up yourself though and dosnt take long.

Apart from that your very unlikely to encounter any other problems. 

• Like 1

OK thanks....seen a couple of nice examples but are miles away.

There is a local one I've viewed but it is higher mileage and interior is a bit grubby.

Most of us travel miles mate, i have not bought a local car in years. I have travelled as far as birmingham a good 3 hour drive. That is one way just do not

think you are pressured to buy wait for the gut feeling. The right car is worth the wait, also with the convertible been even more scares you have a 

bigger problem than us.

Always buy the right car, not necessarily the local car.  I'm in south west Wales near Swansea and my last car purchases have been as follows :

RX450h - Wolverhampton

IS250C - Southport

IS250 - Mansfield

Saab Aero Convertible - Milton Keynes

Saab Aero Sportwagon - Wrexham

Hyundai Coupe - Derby

Shame you missed mine Tom....it was a good one.

Agreed, I went 60 miles and back for my wife's IS. Bought without viewing but asked for a lot of pics. 120 miles doesn't sound too bad until you realise it took 2.5 hours in rush hour traffic to get there! Smooth sailing on way back

Lexus Chester were brilliant about it. Very honest. 

Hi I have had my IS 250 C over a year now and I am very pleased with it . As stated you must be prepared to travel ,I went from Lancs to Cambridge  for mine . There are a lot of well looked after examples about which are probably 2nd cars .The mechanics are similar to the saloon ,the auto gearbox is great ,the hood is a work of art and seems to be very reliable .This car is heavier than the saloon and my front brakes have only lasted just over 20,000 miles .I don't think mileage is a problem ,but the 60,000 mile service is an expensive one as it includes spark plugs . Ensure service history is present ,you will find cheaper cars outside the Lexus scheme ,and lexus  will provide a copy of previous service history on request. Downsides ?  this is not a sports car it is a cruiser ,the rear seat accommodation is really tight for 2 adults ,the hood takes up a lot of the boot space when stowed..I think prices will start to rise once the sun shines so if you decide to buy don't delay too long .Finally make sure you do your homework on what extras are on each model so you get what you want ,good luck  PM me if you want any more advice ,I've rambled on too long

Dave

4 hours ago, normski2 said:

Wow ... have you sold it then?

P/X'd it on Tuesday for an RX.  My sore back will benefit from the easier access.  I'll do a new thread with photos in a week or so, busy time for me at the minute.

Ah I see. Fancied a 250C for a while but have made do with the good lady's power roofed mx5. We quite often 'pinch' each other's car!

Enjoy the RX ..... I'm sure you will.

Don't leave here completely old friend .... We need some of the dry humour as it gets a bit intense from time to time :whistling1:

I can do without some of the needless intensity. This place, along withe mx5 club is one of the best for helpful people that I have come across so far.

Dunno what we'll do if newbie goes!!!!!! Best make him a Saint !

That's a very kind thing to say Normski......many thanks :smile:.

Newbie's IS250 buying guide is indispensable for a new purchaser.  It's a great shame that buyers new to Lexus tend to join the forum after purchase !  There'd be a lot fewer IS220D tales of woe if only they'd researched first.  I had a snoop around here before buying my first IS250....everything I read just encouraged me :smile:

No plans to leave Normski, I enjoy the read and banter on here.  I'm pretty au fait with my new RX450h Luxury (13 plate), but I have no doubt that questions will arise along the way.  I'll start my own thread for that.

Steveledzep made the same mistake myself. Bought the is220d before joining and researching the forum. Big mistake as I encountered the common problems most owners post here. 

If I had found the forum first I would have bought the 250 and saved myself a lot of money in repairs, not to mention headaches 😦

After reading all about the good things regarding the 250 I traded the deisel in for my awesome is250 f-sport and I'm absolutely delighted with it. 😀

I recall you joining here Rebecca and I remember you swiftly rectifying your mistake.  Yes, IS250 is a fantastic car, had two of them (saloon and convertible) over the last three years.  Just moved on to an RX.

Hope you continue to enjoy yours at least as much as I enjoyed mine :smile:.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links