Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh My God! All This From A 'reliable Car'

ubaid221

Hi,

I jusy got my car from an MOT and the guy also handed me an advisory list. Here goes:

Advisory Notice issued

1) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.2b)

2) Front both Brake disc(s) slightly scored (3.5.1h)

3) Front both Brake disc(s) slightly pitted (3.5.1h)

4) Rear both Brake disc(s) slightly pitted (3.5.1h)

5) Rear both Brake disc(s) slightly scored (3.5.1h)

6) Rear both Anti-roll bar synthetic bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)

7) Front Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1b)

8) Front Steering rack deformed but serviceable (2.2.C.1c)

9) Front both Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened (2.4.G.1)

10) Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit (4.1.D.2)

11) Rear Parking brake Your vehicle has only just met the required park brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.9/10)

12) Rear Service brake Your vehicle has only just met the required service brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.8)

Can this be right. My car has about 55,000 miles on it. It was owned by an old chap who hardly drove the car.

Questions:

Are the above works expensive to carry out?

Numbers 6,7,8,9,11 and 12 sound SCAREY!!

Are there any DIYs that are availabe so that I can rectify the issues?

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, (I think my other post was in the wrong section. sorry)

I jusy got my car from an MOT and the guy also handed me an advisory list. Here goes:

Advisory Notice issued

1) Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive (7.3.2b)

6) Rear both Anti-roll bar synthetic bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.3)

7) Front Steering system has slight free play detected at steering wheel (2.2.A.1b)

11) Rear Parking brake Your vehicle has only just met the required park brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.9/10)

12) Rear Service brake Your vehicle has only just met the required service brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system requires adjustment or repair. (3.7.A.8)

Can this be right. My car has about 55,000 miles on it. It was owned by an old chap who hardly drove the car.

Questions:

Thanks

It passed though and that's the main thing. The brake issues seem to be a bit over the top, if it is braking fine then why mess with it? The other work is pretty easy and you will find comprehensive tutorials on lexls.com. Personaly if that was my car I would work through the issues one by one as you have a year to sort it and none of the issues are dangerous, but it sounds like the mechanic was hoping for some extra work to me... However the 'deformed steering rack' sounds a bit odd, does the steering feel strange?

Items 2/3/4/5 will apply to every car on the road with any mileage on it.

Item 1 check for a clogged air cleaner first then have the codes if any read.

Parking brake ,check the shoes and cables, sounds like lack of use.

Item 6 Have the bushes replaced or get second opinion

Item 7 get a second opinion

Item 8 do they mean the rubber gaiter?

Corroded items, clean them up and paint or Waxoyl, replace if weakening the item

Item 10 get anew tyre!

All sounds a bit over the top to me...

Personaly if that was my car I would work through the issues one by one as you have a year to sort it and none of the issues are dangerous, but it sounds like the mechanic was hoping for some extra work to me... However the 'deformed steering rack' sounds a bit odd, does the steering feel strange?

The steering feels fines to me...I had tracking done the other day and apart from that nothing...

but I did notice one thing though..When I accelarate, i can feel a slight vibration coming from the accelator pedal..any idea what it is...?

Items 2/3/4/5 will apply to every car on the road with any mileage on it.

Item 1 check for a clogged air cleaner first then have the codes if any read.

Parking brake ,check the shoes and cables, sounds like lack of use.

Item 6 Have the bushes replaced or get second opinion

Item 7 get a second opinion

Item 8 do they mean the rubber gaiter?

Corroded items, clean them up and paint or Waxoyl, replace if weakening the item

Item 10 get anew tyre!

All sounds a bit over the top to me...

yes, I think it does sound a bit over the top to me aswell!! the MOT was done by Kwik Fit...

You advised that I should get a diognostics done...however, because my ls400 is a jap import, av heard that there aint a system that reads the codes...what do you think i should do..?

Thnaks

The key word here is "Kwik Fit" renowned for "creating" work for themselves or they were due a VOSA visit and had to look the part.

As soon as new discs are fitted and that protective coating is removed they begin to corrode, when they get wet they rust, all normal occurances.

I've just posted on another topic about a local "Fast Fit" place that did my 1st MOT when I got the car and they advised front discs corroded and brake flexi pipes worn, 3 MOTs later at my local independent and the matter has not been mentioned since with the original parts still on the car.

If the emissions were over the limit the car would have failed.

Have you checked the tyre yourself, if it is worn to the limit I understand kwik Fit sell new tyres!lol

BTW even though the car is an import it should still be OBDii compliant and any decent code reader should do the job

The key word here is "Kwik Fit" renowned for "creating" work for themselves or they were due a VOSA visit and had to look the part.

As soon as new discs are fitted and that protective coating is removed they begin to corrode, when they get wet they rust, all normal occurances.

I've just posted on another topic about a local "Fast Fit" place that did my 1st MOT when I got the car and they advised front discs corroded and brake flexi pipes worn, 3 MOTs later at my local independent and the matter has not been mentioned since with the original parts still on the car.

If the emissions were over the limit the car would have failed.

Have you checked the tyre yourself, if it is worn to the limit I understand kwik Fit sell new tyres!lol

BTW even though the car is an import it should still be OBDii compliant and any decent code reader should do the job

Hey, lucky you; only a new tyre needed then ! Can you swap it for the spare ?

Sounds a good result for a MOT Pass BUT only to be expected for a LS400

thanks for the rasurrance regarding the code reader...

there seems to be a vibration from the accelarator pedal when I accelarate...

any idea what it is?

Hi,

Advisory Notice issued

Questions:

Thanks

Items are all advisory so don't worry about any of them really. I can answer all of them but the thread would be 10 pages long, So I'll try and keep it simple.

1) Lack of use, Go and floor the car just before the next MOT and clean out the system a bit with some power.

2 & 3) If you don't do a lot of millage then don't bother. A pair are around £60 - £80. Run your finger over the disc. If it feels quite level with no lip on the edge then don't worry.

4 & 5) As above. These wear down even less than fronts so don't worry. You will have to get new pads if you fit new discs as you can't put old pads on new discs, They will just wear grooves onit.

6) You can get new drop links on eBay for around £25 a set or can get new poly bushes from pri racing. If not listed just measure them and he'll match them up.

7 & 8) These are linked so just get them checked. Get it up on a local garage ramp you can trust and check to see if previous owner haven't hit a kerb hard during the winter etc and bent the steering arm as he was old. Also get them to check the bolts holding the sterring arm on and the bushes. You will not get charged for this at any good garage.

9) Car is not new so rust will show full stop. Just ignore or unless you want to get a wire brush and clean up a little.

10) Easy one new tyre and check your tracking or the streering rack if car wearing down the oneside more than the other.

11) Just ask any local garage to tighten up the rear hub handbrake screw inside the rear hub. Easy to do, About 15mins and should charge you around £20 if any.

12) As 11. Tightenand adjust the handbrake adjuster screw in the rear hub. You can get them cleaned out if desired.

Also top note don't use KWIK FIT as they are rubbish and always fishing for work. They are just tyre and exhuast people.

On a lighter note I remember years ago taking a BMW 5series to BMW for thier £45 car check. They came back with 63 faults and problems they found. How many did I replace. Answer NONE in the three years I had the car. Only tyres replaced.

So please note that a advisory is just that and not a fail.

thanks for the rasurrance regarding the code reader...

there seems to be a vibration from the accelarator pedal when I accelarate...

any idea what it is?

I have a similar issue with my LS. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the spring inside the accelerator pedal assembly rather than it being a vibration linked to acceleration. When the car is not running I can feel the same 'vibration' and it only happens at a very small part of the travel of the pedal and if you pump the pedal up and down through that very small range where it happens you can feel its a spring.

I haven't made any attempt to recify yet as it is such a minor problem and I don't notice it unless I am really trying to. I think we forget how spoilt we are driving these big beasts, the refinement and engineering are so brilliant that any tiny little noise or anomally is magnified. So my advice is to try and forget it, unless it is a really big problem, and you will forget it is even an issue. It certainly isn't dangerous or a pre-cursor to a bigger problem.

I would reassure you that you are driving an LS and it is very very rare for these cars to have serious (or minor) mechanical faults. The only work that will probably ever need doing is general wear and tear or maintenance. Just enjoy driving it!!! For a 10+ year old car I think you will agree that it will never be 100% perfect 100% of the time, but it is as perfect as you will ever get in my opinion compared to ANY other car.

And please take the advice of the guys above and never use KwikFit as they are absolutely rubbish. My girlfriend went to them, against my advice, and had her tracking done. It didn't solve her problem of the car pulling to the left so I had a look underneath and found the track rod end was knackered. They obviously didn't even look at the car in my opinion or they would have spotted this straight away. Replaced the track rod end myself, got the tracking done at Humphries and it was perfect. So KwikFit basically made 30 quid out of her for doing nowt... COWBOYS!! DO NOT USE THEM!! Hope that makes that clear. lol

Regards,

David

Hi,

Advisory Notice issued

Questions:

Thanks

LOL sorry had a wee chuckle there, last year i did kwik fit for a mot and got advisory same as you for No 11 & 12 cudnt get me on discs as i had renewed all 4 discs + pads and handbrake shoes but hadnt adjusted them right, thes 2 ways to do ur No 11 &12 1st is like already posted adjustment nut on wheels thro the disc or quickest n easiest is jack car up n adjust the main adjustment cable dead centre of car shud take 5_10 mins and no need to take wheels off just a couple of spanners n bobs ur uncle, i ran my car for a year without doing the job on my handbrake n just did it on wednesday just gone put car in for mot thursday and flew throw no advisorys yeehaa and even got complemented on how clean car is underneath ie no rust

Hi,

Advisory Notice issued

Questions:

Thanks

LOL sorry had a wee chuckle there, last year i did kwik fit for a mot and got advisory same as you for No 11 & 12 cudnt get me on discs as i had renewed all 4 discs + pads and handbrake shoes but hadnt adjusted them right, thes 2 ways to do ur No 11 &12 1st is like already posted adjustment nut on wheels thro the disc or quickest n easiest is jack car up n adjust the main adjustment cable dead centre of car shud take 5_10 mins and no need to take wheels off just a couple of spanners n bobs ur uncle, i ran my car for a year without doing the job on my handbrake n just did it on wednesday just gone put car in for mot thursday and flew throw no advisorys yeehaa and even got complemented on how clean car is underneath ie no rust

hi,

thanks for the advoce...ill get on it straight away

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links