Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls 460 Replacement Windscreen ?

I have had mixed experiences with Autoglass etc....and am a bit concerned on someone with no experience of a complex car like the 460 taking my car interior apart around the windscreen.

I am thinking of the screen pillar AirBags, lane assist cameras....and various trims etc just to get to the screen edges ....along with the outside gubbins too.

Is it something anyone on here has any experience with ? ;)

I see your point,who do Lexus use for replacements? It may be worth giving them a ring to see or even if they use a 3rd party still get them to do it so you will have the warranty and know the job,hopefully,has been done correctly.

I'm interested in how you get on here, and I'd like to know what happens, in case I'm in your situation. My insurance policy directs me to Autoglass, and I have to pay shedloads to go somewhere else, but, probably like you, one of my worries is the quality of the bit of glass they bring along to try to fit - like, who made it, and will it have the same infrared and ultraviolet properties as the one they are replacing?

If it helps, I think that because the SEL has a rain sensor, that in itself is enough to make sure they bring glass along with that already fitted. What happens with the cameras I don't really know. Probably what I'd do myself is to give them a ring, and discuss the problems with them - tell them about the rain sensor, see what they say to that, then mention the cameras and see how much of a suprise that is to them.

Do let us all know how you get on though, and good luck!

• 2 months later...

Not a 460 but a 93 400. The rear screen had to be replaced by autoglas. The clown(sorry; fitter) with 20 years experience almost broke the only electrical connector on the screen. The one for the demist.

Id watch them like a hawk if i were you. Or better still take it to lexus.

Not a 460 but a 93 400. The rear screen had to be replaced by autoglas. The clown(sorry; fitter) with 20 years experience almost broke the only electrical connector on the screen. The one for the demist.

Id watch them like a hawk if i were you. Or better still take it to lexus.

Take it to Lexus ... :unsure: .... 9 out of 10 times they would get it done with their preffered vendor of windscreens.. I think its national windscreens... and I must say I did not have a good exprience with them in Jan this year ... they came to replace the front windscreen on my IS 250 and after its done i could hear the engine directly inside the cabin and it started to leak near the rear view mirror ... and couple of days later they replaced it again and this time its wind noise at speeds over 40 MPH and then a week later they fitted a new one again ... looked good for a month until i took on a motorway and wind noise at 70MPH ... I would watch them closely whilst they are working like you said ..

I have had mixed experiences with Autoglass etc....and am a bit concerned on someone with no experience of a complex car like the 460 taking my car interior apart around the windscreen.

I am thinking of the screen pillar AirBags, lane assist cameras....and various trims etc just to get to the screen edges ....along with the outside gubbins too.

I can answer this as some hoddie tried to remove my flat windscreen wipers last week on one of my ls's(1999 version) and ended up breaking the arm off which in turn slammed down on the windscreen and cracked it.

I was annoyed to say the least as they destroy what they wanted and ended up costing me pounds and pounds for something costing £2 off eBay. I would have bought them a set too stop them causing the damage.

First quote was a new wiper arm from lexus at £170 and a windscreen for £700.

So phoned around my garage buddies and found a pair of front used wipers arms for £27 with postage to the house, That sorted.

So tried Autoglass and they wanted £588 all in. Stuff that, So phoned around again.

Phoned Auto windscreens who done the job for £266 all in next working day.

I could have got one fitted for around £166 later but needed it done.

Autoglass are ripoff's, But found Auto Windscreens all ok.

They did say they can removed the LS windscreens intact but have to wire cut it. Does take time but you can get them out intact. All other ways will end up cracking the glass(bonded in) if you're looking for a scrap one.

They took under an hour with a hours waiting for the bounding to set before driving.

So my advice is too shop around for price first as I found autoglass a little steep.

Baz.

I can answer this as some hoddie tried to remove my flat windscreen wipers last week on one of my ls's(1999 version) and ended up breaking the arm off which in turn slammed down on the windscreen and cracked it.

I was annoyed to say the least as they destroy what they wanted and ended up costing me pounds and pounds for something costing £2 off eBay. I would have bought them a set too stop them causing the damage.

First quote was a new wiper arm from lexus at £170 and a windscreen for £700.

So phoned around my garage buddies and found a pair of front used wipers arms for £27 with postage to the house, That sorted.

So tried Autoglass and they wanted £588 all in. Stuff that, So phoned around again.

Phoned Auto windscreens who done the job for £266 all in next working day.

I could have got one fitted for around £166 later but needed it done.

Autoglass are ripoff's, But found Auto Windscreens all ok.

They did say they can removed the LS windscreens intact but have to wire cut it. Does take time but you can get them out intact. All other ways will end up cracking the glass(bonded in) if you're looking for a scrap one.

They took under an hour with a hours waiting for the bounding to set before driving.

So my advice is too shop around for price first as I found autoglass a little steep.

Baz.

Autoglass are there purely to serve Insurance companies and they dont care what they get charged because we pay for it in the long run.

I have a small chip on my windscxreen (its been there for 18 months) but thought I would ring them for their free service of repairing it to save all the first born within a 50 mile radius on the first night of frost.

I had been warned not to tell them that the chip was smaller than the one that is shown on their advert and when they got there they didnt want to know. What they want to do is tell you that the chip is to big to repair and that you will need the screen replaced. Autocon.

Mike

PS no I still have the chip and no one has lost their first born.

I got a chip which in my view should have meant the windscreen needed replacing. Fortunately the MOT guy said he might issue just a warning on it but when he actually did the MOT he passed it without comment.

The reason I have not got it fixed is that although my insurance will pay for it they say it must be registered as a claim. Not only would that affect my future LS insurance but also my bike insurance.

I got it filled for £40 straightaway just so it didn't spread (and it hasn't yet).

I mention this because it might be worth checking with your insurance company whether they will replace a £700 windscreen and not consider it a claim.

Mike

it's Swiftcover and the situation is quite complicated. Their stance is that you don't lose your no claims discount if you make a claim for a windscreen, but the catch is during that year you don't earn any further ncd. As it happens that wouldn't have mattered to me as I'm on max ncd anyway. But what is not so obvious is that the windscreen claim goes on the database as a 'claim'. That means Swiftcover or anyone else may want to charge you a higher basic premium anyway because you have had a claim (even worse if you have had a real accident claim as well of course as then you will have 2 claims against your name).

What many people may be unaware of is that stats show that if you have a not-your-fault accident you are more likely to have a fault accident in the next 12 months so you are a bigger risk so your basic premium goes up. Even though we all know that a claim is not the same as an accident try explaining that to a call centre in India.

Mike

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links