Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Tyre

Wass

I have to admit that I am a bit of a tradfitionalist in that I dont like space saver spare tyres very much. A spare wheel should be a spare wheel. UK CTs come with less than a space saver, its a portable compressor complete with goo=> I liked that idea even less . Having read through the owners manual and looked at the american Lexus CT forum, I realised that a space saver tyre was indeed available for the CT since a lot of our cousins across the pond have them. Finding the space saver idea to be more acceptable than a compressor and goo, I enquired of the trusted dealership in Hatfield as to whether they might be able to supply me with a space saver set up to replace the compressor etc.

One very helpful parts manager ( Antony Wilson) not only ordered in the parts but also trialed them in one of their cars to ensure a good fit and e mailed me photos. We discovered that the carpet cover would be diferent to the UK spec item and that the complete set up is indeed available BUT costs a lot of money due to the number of diferent parts required. In order to keep my costs down I ordered the wheel . tyre, securing bracket and boot insert all of which cost exceeded £300. I asked myself the question: how much was I willing to pay for peace of mind.

So now I have a Lexus CT200 with a spare tyre. thanks in no small part to the dilligence of Antony Wilson at Lexus Hatfield. Finally I can drive without the worry of what to do with a flat tyre, I am back on familiar ground , I can change the wheel just like any one of my past cars.

I have to admit that I am a bit of a tradfitionalist in that I dont like space saver spare tyres very much. A spare wheel should be a spare wheel. UK CTs come with less than a space saver, its a portable compressor complete with goo=> I liked that idea even less . Having read through the owners manual and looked at the american Lexus CT forum, I realised that a space saver tyre was indeed available for the CT since a lot of our cousins across the pond have them. Finding the space saver idea to be more acceptable than a compressor and goo, I enquired of the trusted dealership in Hatfield as to whether they might be able to supply me with a space saver set up to replace the compressor etc.

One very helpful parts manager ( Antony Wilson) not only ordered in the parts but also trialed them in one of their cars to ensure a good fit and e mailed me photos. We discovered that the carpet cover would be diferent to the UK spec item and that the complete set up is indeed available BUT costs a lot of money due to the number of diferent parts required. In order to keep my costs down I ordered the wheel . tyre, securing bracket and boot insert all of which cost exceeded £300. I asked myself the question: how much was I willing to pay for peace of mind.

So now I have a Lexus CT200 with a spare tyre. thanks in no small part to the dilligence of Antony Wilson at Lexus Hatfield. Finally I can drive without the worry of what to do with a flat tyre, I am back on familiar ground , I can change the wheel just like any one of my past cars.

Hi Geof, I was really interested to read this post as a cousin of mine purchased a CT200h (he px'd a 220d to buy it) and only found out about the spare wheel issue some weeks after the purchase. He too wasn't enthralled by the prospect of a 'compressor and goo' in the event of a problem, particularly as he went off to France for 3 weeks on the 10th of the month. He is obviously keeping his fingers crossed all of the time he is away!

I intend to send him a text in a minute and I shall relate your experience to him, I'm sure that he will be really pleased to hear that there is a good solution to the problem. Thanks for letting us all know, extremely useful. Regards, Geoff

Would it be possible to provide the part codes required? This would be useful for other member should they wish to have a spare wheel. Sadly not all dealer parts departments are as good Hatfield's clearly is, so it can be hit and miss trying to get non-standard parts without codes.

I too would be interested in a space saver spare wheel. It was the first thing I bought when I got my last car, a SEAT Leon. I sourced one from a MKV Golf for only £25 and just replaced the whole fitting in the car boot.

Does the Prius not have a space saver that would fit the CT200? If not, is it possible to just purchase a Lexus wheel and tyre without any other parts?

Gerry

I used to work for a large motor organisation and came across a few cars with pressurised latex cannisters. If you have a puncture in town they're not too bad. However, if you're on the motorway at speed and overtaking, by the time you've pulled onto the hard shoulder the tyre will have been destroyed. No amount of pressure or latex will fix that!

Even if the tyre is serviceable, the cannisters I came across would inflate the tyre to a low pressure and the car would have to be driven at 30mph for 2 or 3 miles and then inflated further. ON A MOTORWAY?

In my opinion they should be banned.

They also should not be called "Spacesaver" tyres but "Costsavers".

Hi

Sorry for the tardy reply, I have been on holiday to a computerless environment with no mobile phone cover. A cottage in Sennen, near to Lands End. Cornish stone built cottages and computers/mobiles seem an unlikely match!

The part numbers which I ended up buying are:

E42611-21290 Wheel disc

E51931-76010 Carrier, spare

E64993-76030 Box, Deck Floo

Q125/70R17conti Tyres conti CST17

I have copied these part numbers and descriptions directly off the invoice.

Wheel disc is the steel space saver bare wheel

Carrier, spare is the spare wheel screw down holder

Box deck floo is the boot insert box which fits over the top of the space saver and is made of expanded polystyrene.

Conti tyres is the space saver tyre and I am guessing that the part code on this is a Lexus Hatfield reference rather than a Lexus part number.

The part I didnt bother with was the new load space cover and of course i dont have that part number since I didnt ask Hatfield Lexus to order one.

My own experience of goo in tyres has been restricted to use in two wheelers on two occasions neither of which were in the least part successful. The most recent debacle was when a pal of mine turned up on my drive with a can of goo and a flat. It took ages to remove the goo from my drive and it still didnt fix his flat tyre! We took his wheel off and I ran him to his local dealer who were able to fit a new tyre. The dealer charged extra to clean up the mess which was made of my friends wheel.

Lexus Hatfield were very good in all this and i can recommend them, not only because they provided a solution with the minimum of fuss but also because of their close proximity to the A1.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Re the above, I purchased a spacesaver spare wheel for my CT 200 at a cost of £135 from Bolton Lexus and they are trying to source the kit to fit in the boot well. The Spacesaver is compulsory in some European countries so why can't Lexus UK fit one. I'm told by the dealer this will put the Co2 emissions over the magic 100...bollocks(sorry about the language). Reason why I wanted at least a Spacesaver wheel was my partner had a Honda Insight and we had a puncture and the useless inflator kit well it was no good as the car had a slash in the tyre wall. Later we bought from the local Honda dealer a full kit(wheel, fitting kit, etc) for £ 140, but above £300 for a CT kit, hope it was gold plated.

. Later we bought from the local Honda dealer a full kit(wheel, fitting kit, etc) for £ 140, but above £300 for a CT kit, hope it was gold plated.

To be honest, I wasnt counting the cost of peace of mind but since you have got me thinking... how much would I value the peace of mind? Obviously at more than £300. In terms of value for money though, anything more than £0 is a rip off since the car should be supplied with at least a space saver from new.

• 2 months later...

Thank you Wass for the parts info - got a flat tyre today and although the Goo/pump combo worked they repair guys told me that they had to replace the tyre. They told me they can't patch the tyres once the sealant has been used. Also there was wall damage from me not realising I had a flat. Thankfully I wasn't on a motorway or down a country lane when I got the flat.

I agree investing in a spare tyre is well worth the outlay for the peace of mind but seems ridiculous I need to spend more money to buy the spare myself on a car that cost £31K!

• 2 months later...

Just discovered my recently bought CT does not have spare! Goo should be made illegal think I'll contact my MP!

I like you hate the Goo - doesn't work on side wall cuts!!!! Thats why i bought a space saver... not really keen on them either, but better than Goo. Gave the part No's that 'Wass' posted earlier in this thread to Lexus Leeds and they got me wheel and tyre for around £140.. but money well spent for peace of mind.

If you go down this route.. bear in mind you'll have to remove the under boot storage box, wheel wont fit below it. I got some threaded rod and made my own fixing which secured wheel in place firmly at a slight angle, I also wrapped the tools/jack, and Goo in foam and placed around wheel. Boot cover sat neatly on top to give a level firm boot floor.

I will check my local dealer out with this option and see what they come up with. I was looking for a towbar after I bought the motor only to find out later it's not possible to fit one of these either. Seems like i bought a pig-in-a-poke. not to mention a few other niggling things that was not apparent before purchase.

Ouch, I had a CT200 on 48 hour test drive. Me and the mrs were seriously considering buying brand new as we were so impressed with Lexus after owning 2 IS200's. I couldn't wait to give it back and get back in my 11 year old IS!

The consensus seems to be older Lexus were built better and with more care than newer ones :whistling:

Ouch, I had a CT200 on 48 hour test drive. Me and the mrs were seriously considering buying brand new as we were so impressed with Lexus after owning 2 IS200's. I couldn't wait to give it back and get back in my 11 year old IS!

The consensus seems to be older Lexus were built better and with more care than newer ones :whistling:

In his last movie, Steve McQueen said,"new things are no good". Quality seems to be as good as they find that they can get away with. Sad but true.

Generation 2 prius were better build engineered than generation3 prius despite the generation 3 exhibiting better fuel economy figures.

No spare tyre means corner cut by the uk importers in order to maintain their competativeness.

Thanks for the condolences guys. Luckly I live in the Channel Islands and don't do a lot of motorway driving apart from two trips down to Spain anually. If the tyre blows with only the goo back up, the motor will definately go. (and I can't even tow my small boat to the harbour when I get there). So it may go after the first trip. (any offers)

Thanks for the condolences guys. Luckly I live in the Channel Islands and don't do a lot of motorway driving apart from two trips down to Spain anually. If the tyre blows with only the goo back up, the motor will definately go. (and I can't even tow my small boat to the harbour when I get there). So it may go after the first trip. (any offers)

If you'll take £500! lol... :)

• 3 years later...

Hello every one.  I ended up on this thread as I want to do the opposite, get rid of the spare wheel and use compressor plus goo to get more cargo space. I can't find the plastic bin here in usa, any of you guys willing to sell yours if you don't use it anymore ? 

Only the styrofoam one are available. 

Agreed the spare wheel is better but now with 2 kids when we travel that space is exactly what I need. I guess If I have a flat I'll call road side assistance that is included in the insurance anyway. 

Thanks in advance. 

As someone who has been running cars on LPG for more than nine years, with the LPG tank fitted in the spare wheel well, I am an advocate of the 'goo and compressor' method.

I've been lucky in that I've never had a puncture in all that time (and I'm now touching wood and praying to any cosmic deity I can think of so as not to tempt fate, given that all four tyres currently on there at the moment were brand new just a couple of days ago) but a mate of mine in a similar position has had two punctures. The first one was sorted by using the goo and I can tell you that he went on to have it repaired in the normal way. The tyre fitters charged a little more for the time taken to clean the wheel and tyre but it did not stop them from repairing it. The second puncture was actually a blowout so he just called the breakdown people who went out and recovered him to a Kwik-Fit if I remember correctly.

The point is, not having a spare is not a big drama and is easily sorted if you're unlucky enough to have a problem. Inconvenient and a bit more time-consuming yes, but not a huge problem.

For many years now, my wife and I have driven from our home in Preston, Lancashire to Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia and even further afield for our holidays and we have no qualms or fears about having no spare wheel and doing the trips with just goo and a compressor - it really is not a problem.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links