Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Advice On Cleaning...

Here is the lists of stuff that I used this morning:

Zymol auto wash ( smell of coconut and banana mix lol) totally remomened!

Autogylm detailing

Autogylm polish super resin

Autogylm hd high definition wax

Autogylm glass polish

Autogylm wheel seal and tyre dressing

post-34684-0-79551200-1365256825_thumb.j

I also love spending time with my lex :)

Over winter ive only spent a hour or less getting the dirt off etc, but when the weathers dry like now i spend 2 - 4 hours cleaning the inside and out. Luckily i only drive 6 miles round trip to work so cleaning and detailing is worthwhile for me as it stays pretty clean

Im still learning alot about cleaning and detailing and good and bad products to use, as this is the first car im passionate about

I also dont have power or water access for my IS. I use cheap wash and wax shampoo with a micro fibre cloth sponge. I use 3x buckets. 1 for each side and 1 for back. I then rinse off with a bucket of warm water. I let air dry and polish in sections. If im not polishing ill just dry off with a leather cloth or micro fibre cloth. I also use black trim and tyre shine and domestic window cleaner

I bought a 12v vaccuum cleaner for vacuuming, and have the engine running for power. I use various plastic and fabric cleaners for the inside.

Oh and dont use jet washers, jet king etc. Ive been told they will strip your paint from your alloy wheels. I know a couple of ppl that work for hero. Ive become quite good friends actually. They have told me horror stories and admit that most of them are cow boys (they call gypsies) but the 2 i know are very skilled in there work and know alot about cars in general. So my advice is dont trust anyone you dont know. Maybe use the car wash is the best bet in that case?

Ok... So I had the Lexus cleaned yesterday at my local hand wash, there were about 15 staff there and they did a really good job to be honest...

They used a power washer and a few different detergents, they used the wash mits not sponges, microfibre cloths and dried it with a chamois, they cleaned all the glass so it's sparkling, even opened the doors and boot to clean the seals and stuff, cleaned the wheels and have them a little shine...

I feel like I robbed them for £6... ;)

post-44971-0-02584000-1365331277_thumb.j

post-44971-0-18776900-1365331300_thumb.j

For those of you who love to keep their cars clean but do not have access to a hose then here is a guide for you. I used to have the same problem and was loathe to take it to a car wash. Heres's what you do:

Go to Halfords and buy the following items.

1: PW-5L.jpg

and

X3002_Microfiber_Wash_Mitt.jpg

Then go to B&Q and buy this:

hozelock-pressure-sprayer-plus-5-litre.j

then go home and fill the pump sprayer with a mixture of water and pressure wash fluid about 1 part to 9 parts water. Pump it up. Soak the mitt in water then wring it out. Put them in the back of your car.

Get back in your car and find one of these:

jetwash.jpg

That has one of these:

jet_wash_graphics_buy-time.jpg

First thing to do is get your pump sprayer out and cover the entire car with it. wheels and all. Leave for a few minutes to soak in but don't let it dry. Put 50p in the machine and select rinse. Rinse your entire car. This will have shifted 99% of the dirt off your car.

Get the pump sprayer and give your car another covering, this time go over it with the mitt. Once that is done then put another 50p in the machine and rinse off the entire car.

Your car will be sparkling clean I guarantee you! I know some of you might be concerned about the lack of the bucket for rinsing the mitt but in my experience there is no real need as the car is practically clean after the first rinse.

I always take mine to the local Eastern Eurpoean hand wash place. Not the cheapest at £12, but they do a really good job, and I've not seen any marks from anything they do there. I can't be arsed to do it myself, and I don't have access to a hose where I park anyway (I did think I'd get an outside tap fitted when I moved in, but then remembered I hate washing cars!

That said, I did wax it myself the other day after returning from getting it washed. I noticed a mark on the bonnet and on closer inspection turned out to be a particularly stubborn spot of bird crap, and after picking it off, I noticed there was a mark in the paint where it had been. So I gave it a little T-Cut and it came out perfect, then spotted I had a bottle of liquid wax/polish, so in a moment of madness I decided to give the whole car a going over. To be fair, it looks great, feels great, but it reminded me why I hate doing it, lol

Here is the lists of stuff that I used this morning:

Zymol auto wash ( smell of coconut and banana mix lol) totally remomened!

Autogylm detailing

Autogylm polish super resin

Autogylm hd high definition wax

Autogylm glass polish

Autogylm wheel seal and tyre dressing

Im good friends with a bulgarian car washer, he knows his stuff. He says Autoglym really is the best stuff. Been using cheap polish or stuff on sale at supermarkets, but im gonna give it a whirl. Its about £12 for a litre. Im tempted to try some of that High definition polish they do too, but its £40 odd for a little tub :O but from pictures ive seen is amazing mirror type finish, maybe ill try it before the long haul to paris in the summer

I'm sure I've said it before on here but this " demon shine" stuff is serious gear..

I've used Autoglym and other high grade stuff but nothing gets a deep quick gloss effective shine like demon shine.

I normally just wash mine with a sponge and bucket of car shampoo with

warm water ,let it dry and then spray on demon shine with a wipe off micro-fibre cloth and it's streak free in half the time.

Mines going to be valeted by our anti-local hand car wash after I've been round the door shuts and inside the sunroof area, then after the valet, clayed, polished, and demon shined, then photographed, then with any luck I'll have a Saab 9-3 in a few weeks :-)

Guys, please don't use fairy liquid or a sponge (See here for what this does to a freshly painted Alfa http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/81803-first-lexus-is200-sport-aero/?p=815975) And microfibre wash mitts are a terrible idea (use lambswool instead).

I say this from 17 years car care experience.

I've written various guides over the years, and also corrected a lot of so called 'Detailers' and car care product retailers. There's a lot of poor information around the web regards car care.

The microfibre wash mitts are a perfect example, they appeared on the scene when microfibre became popular amongst car enthusiasts for product application/removal, so all the retailers liked to push them any way they can, but stick with the deeper pile (Less sticky) lambswool for washing. microfibre is very sticky, it's supposed to be, but it holds dirt on the surface.

Neil.

• Like 1

Nice write up Neil. , still a lot people tend to dont know what is different between detailing, colour correction, or valeting.

Ps it's all about preparations , same things as u painting a house! , it's doesn't matter how expensive the product is.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links