Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've just done a few calculations as to why I love my Lexus and thought I should share !!

It is £22000 for a new Prius you would have to

drive nearly 4 MILLION MILES to save that money over a LS400 on LPG

100000miles at 50mpg will cost you £11819.84 (Prius)

100000miles at 25mpg on LPG will cost you £12365.37 (LS400)

That means that over 100000 miles driving a Prius you would save £500 so in order to save your initial outlay of £22000 you would have to drive pretty far. And be putting fuel in along the way at a cost of nearly £475000.

Can you really see the new Prius doing 4M miles ??

To put into perspective you would have to drive to and from the moon 8 times comparing to LPG !!!!!

So to recap, in order to save the initial £22000 you will have to drive 4M miles and put in £475000 in fuel along the way that is worse than the banks interest and also you would either have to do average mileage for 333 years or be a taxi driver doing 50000miles for 80 years.

I think I will stick with my Lexus !!

I have edited this post as my Petrol calculations were MILES wrong !!!

LPG is still correct though

The problems of doing comparisons using info provided by manufactures (Toyota Prius) 50mpg is that you never achieve those figures because of the laboratory conditions they are obtained in.

Your LPG fig is likely to be far more accurate because you have obtained them from people who actually drive them on a day to day basis.

So if you did your figs again with a more realistic mpg on the Prius you would have an even stronger argument for staying with the Lexus. Mike

That's great stuff Adam! The only problem is that we have to keep this info to ourselves, imagin if every person that is currently spending silly money on small engined cars that have "great MPG" woke up and realised the truth!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhh mums the word :-)

• Like 1

In relation to the prius my mate got one as a company car, He was raving about how quiet it was, I went for a drive in it then took him in my ls 400 oh dear not so quiet after all. The main problem he had with the prius was in the winter around town the heater didn't work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmxUsGiGp3w

watch this

the second half is brilliant !!!!!

I guess a 1.5 litre engine dragging a lot of PP9's around in it's boot and trying to go flat out is a recipe for the BMW to do better.

Have a mate with a Prius, gets 52 to 55mph but that's pottering at 50mph, which some commuting in Bath.

I think if I had no money and had to drive in a city every day, I would still go for the Lexus, as I worked out that the £6K he paid for his second hand Prius, means I have to spend £3.5K on petrol to have shelled out the same.

I did the same sums as Adam to justify why I should have an LS not an oil burner or hybrid. The only thing the Prius has is lower tax, but I assume paying out for for new batteries will happen ahead of an LS going to the scrap yard!!

The other thing that all the green brigade conveniently forget to discuss is the amount pollution caused not just in the making of the car but the batteries themselves, this becomes doubly important when the batteries have had their day and it comes to making more for the car and the disposal of the old batteries. Mike.

I'm consistently getting 230 miles from 46 litres of LPG driving round the doors. It was 69.9 but has recently gone up to 71.9ppl so a couple of quid extra on a tank full. The EML light was behaving itself but came on again a few days ago but then went out again and remains so.... ''spoke too soon ''??... hope not!!!. Bought a code reader so will turn off the EML if it persists and saves me going back to the LPG garage each time.

Is there really any comparison worth considering ? WE all know the answer to whether or not we would drive any car other than our Ls400s, 430, 460s.

Whatever the comparative costs etc.

Malc

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links