Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Should The Check Engine Light Come On When Turning Car On?

As per title.

I have a mk4 I purchased last week,

should the CEL/MIL light be coming on when the key is turned to the on position?

I have never seen mine work and a bit worried now!!

Thanks

Excellent.

My paranoia is killing me!

I've just spent my friday evening working out how to remove the dash from a mk4, not thay obvious.

I got some pictures ill share later for anyone needing to remove the instruments!

Where is the light located?

I tried shining a torch to see it, but I can't even see the outline of it?

Thanks for the quick response.

Normally the check engine light should come on and then go off so you know it is working.

Do you know this for sure on a mk4 ls400?

I can't even see where the check light is on the dash, I can see the outline to every other light?

Anyone got a video showing different light sequence to mine on start up?

I can only find American models and the dash layout isn't the same.

Thanks

no sorry I don't know for sure.

It seems to be under the 0 on the rev counter in the US. UK is normally a mirror so potentially sits under the 8 of the rev counter on the other side of the instrument panel.

post-3469-0-50217000-1434194184_thumb.pn

.............. on my Mk3 ALL dash warning lights are lit when turning the ignition on but immediately vanish when starting the car.

Malc

Further research leads me to the fact that a UK MK4 ls400 has no check engine or check vsc light.

The us cars do,

but the UK cars will display 'check vsc' or 'check engine' on the multi function display.

Thanks for help guys

Sorry to tell you but my Mk 4 has one. It lights up as soon as you switch the ignition on and without turning further to start the engine about 2 seconds later it goes out. Mike.

I am not sure if these are part of the MOT yet but if they don't work as described it can fail. Mike.

I've had 4 mk4 lexus ls400's and not one of them had a check engine management light when you start the car. If anything does go wrong a check vsc is displayed

Bluesman,

You've also replied in this thread but with a different answer?

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/84522-hi-all-new-ls400-owner-here/

I'm feeling confused.

does no one have a uk owners manual they could check?!

It was I who was confused there I was looking at the wrong light but if you are looking at the lights in the picture then yes they come on and then go out. If you think about any system warning lights must come on at some stage so that you know the light is working if however it never comes on how would you know if there was an engine problem as the light has never been lit, so all warning lights have to come on initially to show you that the lights are all working OK. Mike. Picture from MK4 handbook.

DSCN0403.jpg

Can you try to reload the picture from a mk4 handbook?

And confirm it is actually a UK handbook.

I can't see anywhere a light will be on my dash, no outline of it or blown bulb upon removal and inspection

There is no Check Engine icon on UK spec Mk IV LS400s. There is a "Check Eng" message in the text display below the speedo/rev counter, together with a warning tone and a small flashing warning light next to the text display, but no icon. I have confirmed this in my own Mk IV LS400 and in the handbook that came with it.

The "Check Eng" message does not show at start up - it only comes on if you have a problem. So if you have a UK Mk IV, you will not see any little yellow engine icon at any time, but if you see "Check Eng" in the display in writing then you have a prob.

If you can't see anything at all in the text display, then you need to get it repaired because important warning notices will not be seen, though presumably the warning tone will still sound and the little warning light will still flash.

There is no Check Engine icon on UK spec Mk IV LS400s. There is a "Check Eng" message in the text display below the speedo/rev counter, together with a warning tone and a small flashing warning light next to the text display, but no icon. I have confirmed this in my own Mk IV LS400 and in the handbook that came with it.

The "Check Eng" message does not show at start up - it only comes on if you have a problem. So if you have a UK Mk IV, you will not see any little yellow engine icon at any time, but if you see "Check Eng" in the display in writing then you have a prob.

If you can't see anything at all in the text display, then you need to get it repaired because important warning notices will not be seen, though presumably the warning tone will still sound and the little warning light will still flash.

Thankyou very much for clarifying.

Bluesman must either have an import or a mk3. Or just have confused himself again!

Thanks all

Yes its the handbook that came with my MK4 Lexus LS400 here in the UK. Thank you. Mike.

Maybe it changed amongst the mk4 cars.

very strange!

Try and see if this is what you are after. Mike

DSCN0404.jpg

Thankyou very much for clarifying.

Bluesman must either have an import or a mk3. Or just have confused himself again!

Thanks all

Dont have an import and have a MK 4 and I am not confused.

Of course you could always buy an Owners hand book and you will have most answer to hand then in the future. Mike

My last car, a BMW 525i, had warning lights missing (ABS, Engine Management, traction control etc.) I pulled the instrument cluster to find the LEDs had been covered with black silicon. I spent two hours picking it of, re-installed it and they all came on. Trouble is when the engine started they didn't go off.

I think car traders see me coming because, it seems, I don't buy cars, I buy DIY kits. :)

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links