Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Looking At A 09 Rx400h

Hello everyone

I'm in the market for a petrol SUV, and the RX400h seems to fit the bill nicely. I have my eye on a 09 Executive with 98k on the clock.

I've always had company or new cars, and am a bit nervous about buying a 2nd hander as I'm not very mechanically minded at all.

If anyone could give me a steer on anything to look out for, warning signs etc I'd very much appreciate it. Don't want to buy a lemon........

Many thanks

Hello everyone

I'm in the market for a petrol SUV, and the RX400h seems to fit the bill nicely. I have my eye on a 09 Executive with 98k on the clock.

I've always had company or new cars, and am a bit nervous about buying a 2nd hander as I'm not very mechanically minded at all.

If anyone could give me a steer on anything to look out for, warning signs etc I'd very much appreciate it. Don't want to buy a lemon........

Many thanks

Hi. Go to a Lexus dealership and you won't go wrong. Or maybe someone on this forum who is selling.

Great car

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Alloy wheels tend to corrode on older Lexus, Sunroofs can play about and some have a heavy buildup of rust underneath

Sticking calipers are worth looking out for too. Apart from that, not much to worry about.

It needs a new timing belt at 100k - it's expensive if it hasn't been done.

My 09 has just done 100k and my faith in lexus has been restored. I bought it with 67k miles on and virtually nothing has gone wrong since. Previously I had a LS430 and had nothing but trouble.

FWIW I have just paid £1000 for a two year extended Lexus warranty and will hang on to it because I don't really like the 450H (bigger and more jiggly and my pal's is doing worse mpg than his previous 400H)

Mike

Many Thanks Mike. Just checked out the service history on this one with Lexus, and everything seems above board. Though doesn't sound like the timing belt has been changed, so I'll bear that in mind.

main issues to check according to lexus being front suspension arms and rear callipers, which I've seen mentioned already on this forum.

They mentioned the extended warranty as well, so I think that might well be a good shout for peace of mind......especially for a dope like me who knows nothing about maintaining cars!

I had a 450h a couple of years ago for a while as a demo form toyota, and I thought it was great. hoping this 400h isn't too vastly different.

They claimed to me that the extended 2 year warranty was on special offer (half price) until the end of June. But when I checked on here they seem to have been doing this 'deal' for at least 18months. (£500 per year is a lot). I think suspension arms are covered but I doubt that callipers are.

I also found the 450H less powerful - or a better description might be 'slower to wind itself up'.

I test drove the air suspension 450 and found it better than the standard 450 but not as good as the sprung 400H (apparently it's the low profile tyres). In any case the air suspension on the LS430 cost me an absoulte fortune.

Mike

The one you need to look for if you are going for an 09, is the Executive Limited Edition. It was the run out edition before the 450h came out, and it has ALL the toys, with the exception of the rear DVD.

It is easy to spot: it has an "Executive Limited Edition" badge under the 400h badge on the tailgate.

Thanks Dan, looks like this one has that on it. Can live without the rear DVD, though it would be cool. That's why they invented ipads right? :-)

Yeah mine is the limited edition (so until the above post I was a bit concerned that maybe they'd forgotten the rear seat DVDs :D ). But having come from the LS430 there's quite a lot of goodies missing from what I expected (refrigerated seats and wafting airflows being two that I didn't realise I liked so much).

Mike

My dad's got the refrigerated seats on his IS250. Hoped they'd be on this one. though never had em before so can't miss em I guess!

Just wanted to say that I do really appreciate the responses from you guys. I've always had cars I haven't needed to worry about, and my current Merc is going back soon. Need to take a break from high repayments (according to the wife) and I'm a little nervous about what is unknown territory for me.

So thanks ever so much for your assistance everyone.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links