Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450h Side Monitor

I intend to replace my RX400h Exec Ltd Edition with a RX450h SE-L or SE-L premier over the next few months.

I read somewhere that these two models have side monitors (cameras) built within the mirrors, but cannot work out what these are used for or how they work:

- are they a parking aid that display what is next to the car, in a similar fashion to the rear view camera? If so, how are they activated?

- are they some kind of lane departure warning system?

These models also come with full LED headlights. How do these compare to the regular HID/xenons?

I would be interested in the views of SE-L / SE-L Premier owners as to why they chose these models over the SE or SE-I, and whether the increase spend was worth it.

thank you in advance.

There is a button on the steering wheel which activates it. It basically helps you see the kerb below the mirror, thats all. It could possibly help with seeing parking lines too.

LED lights blow Xenons out of the water - thats all there is too it. Insanely bright, almost blinding to other drivers.

The Premier also comes with the Heads up display which is very useful on the motorway and when there are a lot of speed cameras. It shows arrows from the navigation too.

Thanks Rayaan. Most appreciated.

Is the side monitor on both sides or only the passenger side?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the display comes up on the satnav screen and is shared with that of the rear view camera?

Thanks Rayaan. Most appreciated.

Is the side monitor on both sides or only the passenger side?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the display comes up on the satnav screen and is shared with that of the rear view camera?

Im not 100% sure as I dont have it on my F-Sport. However, it does come up on the satnav screen and is shared with the rear view camera, yes.

I intend to replace my RX400h Exec Ltd Edition with a RX450h SE-L or SE-L premier over the next few months.

I read somewhere that these two models have side monitors (cameras) built within the mirrors, but cannot work out what these are used for or how they work:

- are they a parking aid that display what is next to the car, in a similar fashion to the rear view camera? If so, how are they activated?

These models also come with full LED headlights. How do these compare to the regular HID/xenons?

I would be interested in the views of SE-L / SE-L Premier owners as to why they chose these models over the SE or SE-I, and whether the increase spend was worth it.

thank you in advance.

I have to agree with Rayaans. The LED lights are absolutely brilliant and better in my opinion than the Xenons in my IS250 and also in the is300h that I currently have as a loan car. They are however not full LED headlights as the high beam is still a halogen bulb. Not too sure why Lexus did not bother with a full LED setup here.

thank you in advance.

I have to agree with Rayaans. The LED lights are absolutely brilliant and better in my opinion than the Xenons in my IS250 and also in the is300h that I currently have as a loan car. They are however not full LED headlights as the high beam is still a halogen bulb. Not too sure why Lexus did not bother with a full LED setup here.

Only really matters if you use the high beams. I've only used mine twice in 3 years

Obviously a city boy!

I have a 35 mile commute across country roads, so I use high beam a lot, especially in winter, to scare the wildlife... and see where I'm going through the pitch black countryside!

Thanks to all for your useful responses!

Obviously a city boy!

I have a 35 mile commute across country roads, so I use high beam a lot, especially in winter, to scare the wildlife... and see where I'm going through the pitch black countryside!

Thanks to all for your useful responses!

I live in Yorkshire......

And in a town not a city......

Never needed to use the high beams as the LED's are so bright. Now if I was in the wife's Mercedes, id be struggling

It's quite amusing that the non-UK spec of the RX had the option of front and near side cameras for over 10years!

So why only now (and with the forthcoming new RX) are they letting us have them?

I wonder what other regional variations there may be? Hmmm!

Got the side monitor on mine, only really use it for checking how close to lines in car parks. You only get passenger side, you have button on steering wheel to activate, you can set it to automatically come on at low speed (but gets annoying quickly), display on Satnav screen so it's either rear cam or side.

The HUD is very nice and I miss it when in another car, that said I didn't like it totally at first as the reflection on the screen of the plastic housing is annoying.

Mine also has the active suspension which is an option on the SE-L to replace Air, seems to make a bit of improvement when cornering compared to my previous RX300 but sure Air is smoother.

The slightly later SE-L (6 months after launch) also got the rear entertainment

More info on differences here: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/94267-rx-450h-series-3-equipment-specifications/

Overall I like my toys including the ML stereo :) Premier was my choice and no regrets!

It's quite amusing that the non-UK spec of the RX had the option of front and near side cameras for over 10years!

So why only now (and with the forthcoming new RX) are they letting us have them?

I wonder what other regional variations there may be? Hmmm!

US models have had the blind spot monitoring system and Tyre pressure monitors for a while now on the RX.

Hello Dan,

I am a new buyer of 450H and went through some of the questions you raised above. In my case side camera, air suspension, ML music system, HUD, ACC/PAS, cooled/heated seats, heated steeting wheel as options nudged me towards the premier model.

I like the option of able to see the kerb to protect your precious alloy however you also get warning messages with side/front and rear sensors. I think your question has been well answered with regard to how the side camera works. It is an added bonus which adds yet another dimension to see outside your side.

I liked the way NX presents almost 360 degress view when reversing ... I think RX will get in coming years.

• Like 1

Thanks to all for the comprehensive feedback. Very useful.

Sylm - I agree... I like the toys and aiming for a Premier if I can find one in the right colour combination. I am not a fan of dark interiors!

As an aside, I popped into my local Audi dealer at the weekend, primarily to check how much of a compromise a smaller car would be. I was chatting with the sales staff and explained that I did not want a silver car, or a car with a dark interiors. Their response was that, if I was to go for an Audi, I would be hard pushed to find a combination that I liked: over 97% of cars sold by Audi in the UK have a black interior!... and a large proportion of these have black or dark grey headlining.

Boring lot!

;-)

• Like 1

Agree Dan - looking at my profile picture I think I am in last 3% of the UK population.

This explains why I was not able to find a used car to my preference :)

My valeting cost will certainly go up but love the ivory colour and walnut wood pack in my car - really nice.

BTW Audi is releasing Hybrid Q5/Q7 (Think you know already) come december so worth checking that out.

I was biased towards Lexus having driven Prius for many years and knew I can trust Toyota for a reliable Hybrid.

• Like 1

Agree Dan - looking at my profile picture I think I am in last 3% of the UK population.

This explains why I was not able to find a used car to my preference :)

My valeting cost will certainly go up but love the ivory colour and walnut wood pack in my car - really nice.

BTW Audi is releasing Hybrid Q5/Q7 (Think you know already) come december so worth checking that out.

I was biased towards Lexus having driven Prius for many years and knew I can trust Toyota for a reliable Hybrid.

Except you'll be pretty shocked on the pricing front. The new Q7 with a bog standard 3.0 TDI in S-Line guise (the only one actually worth buying if you dont want to take a huge hit on depreciation) hits £65-68k specified to the level of the 2016 RX450h F-Sport which is estimated to be around that price too. Put hybrid into the equation in an Audi and you have a car which will easily be £85k if not more!

Also - its rather ugly isn't it?

Agree ;)

Buying a Lexus was an informed decision as I also tried Audi Q7 before placing the order. The price point is almost edging towards a highly congested choice of premium 4x4 however luxury and quality element of Lexus got my vote.

PHEV from Mitsubishi is another choice but agree that it is untested Hybrid which needs some credibility and time.

Indeed... I got a Q5 brochure and started to select options to bring the spec in line with that of a NX premier... and landed firmly into RX territory... and gave up even before exhausting the list of available extras.

Decent sound system, navigation, Bluetooth, heated seats, electric seats, dipping mirrors, electro-chromatic mirrors, to name but a few... all available at an extra and rather high cost.

Nah. Not for me.

I may not be 100% sold on the looks of some of the Lexus models, or details such as the antiquated maps on the satnav, but to me these are small compromises that I am happy to live with and that are far outweighed by the quality of the car, the decent service, and to some extent exclusivity afforded by Lexus. Who notices when an Audi drives past?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links