Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Text Messages

Hi folks,

Just wondering......I have 3G switched on on my apple Iphone 4S and am wondering if I can get text messages to appear on my SatNav screen. I think that I may have read somewhere that some of you are able to get it but I'm wondering if they may be using a more up-to-date phone.

Not sure how old my phone is as i got it from my granddaughter some time ago.

Yes you can, and it's 90% reliable with the Iphone (in my experience). You do need to make sure that you have "show notifications" on. Settings-Bluetooth- tap the i and make sure show notifications is enabled.

That should do it, and you shouldn't have to re-pair the phone either.

One caveat, I haven't tried it with a 4S.

Should work on a 4S. You can receive texts and iMessages, you just cannot send from the vehicle - but you should use Siri for that anyway.

You should have been able to read texts even without 3G, you will also get iMessages now though.

The setting is on the phone, not the vehicle. Settings > Bluetooth > press the info button next to the Lexus in My Devices and turn on 'Show notifications'

You are looking on the Iphone not the car? Assuming you have previously paired the phone to the car it should show up in the devices under the phones settings-Bluetooth then "My devices". Then tap the i and make sure "show notifications" is enabled.

Texts work fine on my IS using a Galaxy S mini on pay as you go. Problem is as an OAP and having no friends I do not get many texts. Lol.

The irritating thing is that incomming text messages only have a phone no. to identify the call - doesn't link with the Galaxy's (in my case S4 Mini) 'address' book.

Told you I was a grey haired old codger. I've been looking in the car instead of the phone. What am I like eh???????

What on earth is siri and what are imessages? I'll just get me quill and parchment and make some notes!!!!

I would! Siri is a virtual assistant that you speak to and it is supposed to respond. E.G Siri, 'what's the weather going to be like tomorrow?' 'The weather tomorrow will be cold and wet' is the likely reply in the UK! It's a bit of fun and IMO largely useless.

iMessage is sending texts over wifi to another Iphone. Saves using up your text allowance. Marginally more useful than Siri, IMO.

How amazing is that!

I've got it all set up now. I was trying to do it in the car because I thought that it was the most logical route, i.e. trying to get what was on the screen on my phone to appear on the screen in my car.

As I say, it is all set up now and it's brilliant. I asked my wife to send me a text as a tester and, whilst driving along, a message appeared on the screen saying something like "message received from Lin" and there was an option at the bottom of the screen to read or not. I pressed yes and it read the message out to me, clear as you like.

Thanks for your help folks. Much appreciated.

Siri is useful because you can dictate a reply to a text/iMessage rather than typing whilst driving.

Colin, can you remind us how this works please. Say I receive a text and the car reads it out, how, without handling the phone, do I activate Siri and reply? Thanks.

If you have the phone charging then you can have Siri listening all the time and you just say Siri and it starts to take notice - this doesn't work if the phone is just on Battery. Otherwise you have to press and hold the home button - this is one reason why I use a phone holder so I can legally press buttons.

My Xeperia Z1 compact didn't link to the IS at all until Android updated from kitkat to Lollipop version 5.02. Then without me doing anything Text messages were displayed, address book linked and read out & emails all worked perfectly.

Ed :flowers:

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links