Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs450h....using Nav On The Move?

Hey guys, just bought my GS450H and was wondering if there was a way of using the nav unit etc whilst moving (my wife could input the data whilst i'm driving for example), i understand why lexus has done it this way from a safety point of view but its really annoying/frustrating to not be able to do anything whilst moving, its the only car i've ever known where you have to pull over to put in a new address etc and really backward if i'm honest!. Is there anything aftermarket out there that remedies this? thanks guys....

Hey guys, just bought my GS450H and was wondering if there was a way of using the nav unit etc whilst moving (my wife could input the data whilst i'm driving for example), i understand why lexus has done it this way from a safety point of view but its really annoying/frustrating to not be able to do anything whilst moving, its the only car i've ever known where you have to pull over to put in a new address etc and really backward if i'm honest!. Is there anything aftermarket out there that remedies this? thanks guys....

I thought the sat nav did little other than update the maps. would be interesting to know exactly what options are not greyed out when on the move.

I have been looking at this option which is a little plug and play box from the states. Apparently simple plug in and no wire chopping.

Afterwards you are able to use sell functions whilst on the move including sat nav, telephone address book and DVD, picture doesn't turn off.

http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138

Carl

On my afaik factory standard Oct 2009 GS450h all nav buttons and other options are available for use 'on the move'. I wonder did Lexus make a change for later models as I note Gareth's car is same year as mine?

On my afaik factory standard Oct 2009 GS450h all nav buttons and other options are available for use 'on the move'. I wonder did Lexus make a change for later models as I note Gareth's car is same year as mine?

So can you use, phone, sat nav and MP3 files on the move?

I presume the DVD picture itself is still off though?

Carl

Yes when I bought it it had a 2008 disk in I believe and the features were blacked out. But someone on here said that later discs had a firmware upgrade which enabled the features on the move. So I got a 2011 disc and it all worked perfectly. Since upgraded to a 2015 disc and still works. In fact all you need to do is borrow a later disc and pop it in and it'll update your system to enable the functions on the move. Then you can pop in your old disc again and it'll all still work fine. I tried it.

Yes when I bought it it had a 2008 disk in I believe and the features were blacked out. But someone on here said that later discs had a firmware upgrade which enabled the features on the move. So I got a 2011 disc and it all worked perfectly. Since upgraded to a 2015 disc and still works. In fact all you need to do is borrow a later disc and pop it in and it'll update your system to enable the functions on the move. Then you can pop in your old disc again and it'll all still work fine. I tried it.

What do these update disc cost? I'd like to do mine some time.

I wasn't paying Dealer prices for a new map,so after a bit of searching found a seller who charges €20 euro for an update disc,been in the car now last 3 months working perfectly,although I did have to disconnect the Battery for a minute before it worked.

See here http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ or keep an eye on eBay

M

See here http://www.lexus-mapupdates.eu/ or keep an eye on eBay

M

I spoke to Lexus who had never heard of the disc updating the software to allow on the move useage.

He said he only thought it did map updates and nothing else. At £260 for the disc I'll give that a miss and look else where.

Carl, the nav discs can/do update firmware in the car - a bit poor that a Lexus dealer doesn't know that.........of course the firmware update may not be applicable to your specific model year, but again they should know that.

Carl, the nav discs can/do update firmware in the car - a bit poor that a Lexus dealer doesn't know that.........of course the firmware update may not be applicable to your specific model year, but again they should know that.

Agreed, some times Lexus dealerships impress and other times they don't.

Given the price of a disc I think I prefer the plug in box which gives me complete control albeit same maps.

Maybe I'll look for satnav map disc on eBay,

• 3 weeks later...

Just bought a disc from here for £40- http://satnavdiscsale.com/lexus-2015-e19-sat-nav-update-for-all-generation-3-and-5-tns600-and-700-126-p.asp

The maps are actually 2014 but it does update the software so it can be used on the move.

However, the main reason I updated is, I'm not happy with inputting post codes. I'm going to Fountains Abbey on Monday to photograph the rut. The postcode is HG4 3DY. When I punch it in I get to HG4 space and there are no more options. This is the same for all codes, I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

Just bought a disc from here for £40- http://satnavdiscsale.com/lexus-2015-e19-sat-nav-update-for-all-generation-3-and-5-tns600-and-700-126-p.asp

The maps are actually 2014 but it does update the software so it can be used on the move.

However, the main reason I updated is, I'm not happy with inputting post codes. I'm going to Fountains Abbey on Monday to photograph the rut. The postcode is HG4 3DY. When I punch it in I get to HG4 space and there are no more options. This is the same for all codes, I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Any ideas?

You can't do a full postcode search. Only the first part then it will list all the streets etc in that postcode area and then you choose from the list the exact one you want. Not a very good search system actually.

• Like 1

You can't do a full postcode search. Only the first part then it will list all the streets etc in that postcode area and then you choose from the list the exact one you want. Not a very good search system actually.

Many of the places I visit are in the middle of nowhere, up single track roads. A full seven digit postcode search generally puts us within a couple of hundred yards from where we ought to be. Four digits covers miles and we have no street names to get us closer.

I had a Chinese set up in my old BMW, it did Bluetooth, USB, DVD, Rev camera and always got us to where we wanted to be for £400, it even had Freeview,

I'm not impressed with Lexus at all

Any ideas?

John,

the way it works on mine is that, using your example, I input HG4 then space and then 3, so an additional digit compared with yours. Weird that you can't get the 4th digit in after space.......

Non OEM sat navs though have always been better than manufacturers :(

hth

M

John,

on mine and using your example I can input HG4 'space' 3. Weird that you can't do the same...

That's probably right but there's two more digits that may cover a 5 mile radius in the middle of nowhere.

I often get instructions like, postcode XX1 1YY and you'll see our Landrover at the top of the hill. TomTom gets me there, Lexus doesn't. :(

It's great in town but these don't live in town. :)

21031505448_ca4296a264_b.jpg

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links