Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is The Original Rear Plate Size On An Ls400?

Hello all,

I`ve just aquired a 1997 LS400 (1 of the last mk1s) & want to put an original size rear plate on it, but have no idea what the original size was.

Someone`s stuck a normal size plate on, but have stuck it too high, to cover the original mounting holes.

I`m putting a private plate on it & would like to have the proper sized rear plate.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

post-54350-0-84449100-1444493477_thumb.j

Congrats on your new purchase. Looks very smart from what I can see. I don't mean to burst your bubble but it looks like you have a Mk3 model.

Original plate size is a 6.5" rear. Most eBay plate sellers can do this for you for around £25 a set.

Enjoy your new car.

it's a MK3 and they might have possibly put the new stick-on plate over the rusty bits that often show above where the holes were drilled for the original plate fixing !

Malc

Hi Malc, that`s exactly what they`ve done.

I took the plate off today to centralise it, as it was doing my nut in, then found the 2 original mounting holes & 4 other holes that had been drilled over the years, so treated the rust & put it back where it was. lol

I then remembered that they had `oversized` rear plates when new, so decided to try & get one made for the private plate.

It`s got a little bit of rust below thew window on the passenger front door & above the drivers rear bumper,, the bumpers need respraying as the front is covered in potholes on the top & the rear has been clouted on summat.

But, it`s only got 73k genuine miles from new, (ticked over 73k yesterday).

Here`s a front end pic for ease of identifying which version it is, as I know `97 was the changeover year.

post-54350-0-86396800-1444494917_thumb.j

Yes thats the size Fred. It will look a lot better once there fitted on as I feel cars with a small number plate on the back and a lot of room sometimes look a little odd.

I think you have a great car Fred and at that mileage it should serve you well. I do remember the car being for sale on eBay and it was rather tempting.

All the best.

• Like 1

Hi Fred and welcome to the LOC, we are a
friendly bunch and some of us even know how to pull them to bits and
put them back together again, with of course the one bolt and washer
left over.

We recommend you spend a couple of mins
looking over the rules of the LOC, we will be asking questions later.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/terms-conditions/

Regards Mike.

• Like 1

From my neck of the woods Originally,TRL plate is Cornish registration,

Was in my watch list a while ago when it was still down here,could have had it for under a grand before a trader bought it i believe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links