Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Connecting To Aux Socket In Centre Armrest

I'm wanting to use the centre armrest aux socket to power a dash cam.

The 12v connector plug is quite large, so figured it should be easier to start from this point by feeding the mini usb plug out from here and then threading it to the camera.

I can't figure out a way of poking the cable out from the centre compartment.

Anyone done this ? Thanks :wacko:

Maybe the question is too difficult for you guys ?

Seriously though, I'd love to have an answer. :question:

I don't want any wiring showing and am unwilling to use the front ashtray socket for that reason.

Is there a way to get a slim cable out of the centre armrest storage ?

I spliced into the wires to the ciggy lighter.

Pulled the ash tray segment of the console out, soldered some splices in and put a locking electrical connector in behind the radio.

The dash cam had it's connector cut off and a new one attached. The wire was then threaded behind the dash and radio and connected to my new power connector.

I used a welding wire, which is thin long and flexible when i fitted mine. Took stereo out and went above steering wheel then up the pillar.

I don't understand this ? What did you do with the welding wire ?

The dash cam works on 5 volts, so I suspect the cigarette lighter plug has a voltage dropper built into it. For that reason I don't see direct connection a possibility.

Thank you for your replies guys, but not what I'm looking for.

I just want to know how I can feed a mini usb plug and cable from the centre armrest storage area into the cabin of the car.

Can anyone help please ?

Hi Steve, sorry to not see your post sooner, but I have the same set up with cables feeding front and rear cams, so thought you may be interested in my set up.

Firstly, I have a 4 output usb adapter plugged into the central power socket. Then I have 5 metre flat usb leads, which come out of the front of the storage box (with it closed) and drop down under seats, then go off to feed cams front and rear - pushed under door trim etc.

The leads remain plugged into the adapter, until I visit car parks where they get plugged into an external Battery, which powers them for at least 24 hours.

I can add direct links to cables, 4 output adapter and external Battery if you require them.

Thanks Paul, no apology necessary.

I just want to power a front camera and only when it's being driven. Can't install a rear one as mine's a convertible IS250.

I have figured out the route for the cable, but just need to know how to escape it from the centre storage box.

Normski's link looks promising and I'll investigate that on Wednesday when I'm next off work.

• 1 month later...

Managed to achieve my goal yesterday.

I removed the rear ashtray/vents assembly.  There is a flat panel immediately beneath the hinge of the armrest which is above the 12v and usb connectors within the storage box.

I drilled this to allow the mini usb plug through and threaded it beneath the passenger seat runners.  I connected to the camera and set about concealing the cable back towards the starting point.  Via top of the windscreen, down the A pillar and along the door sill.

After routing the cable around the rear vent outlets, I could refit the ashtray/vent assembly.

The cable is only visible under the passenger seat, but this is covered by a car mat !

dashcam is working perfectly and the installation is virtually invisible.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links