Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mk3 Alarm Going Off Again ............. We've Done So Much On Th

OK guys, here we go again. Been silent for about a year now I guess but last night, cold ( about zero'ish ) and a light northwesterly breeze, the sodding alarm just kept activating ...............

Nothing metal in the glove box or centre console, I unlocked it, re-locked it, opened a window too ............... opened and closed doors, whatever, the damn alarm just kept activating !!!

I know there's no solution really !

Just a thought ............ . I live on the Town Quay by the creek and boats going up and down on the high tides ...... wonder if it's some sort of marine VHF stuff that's interrupting my car alarm's sleep pattern ( like it is mine )

Any thoughts ?

Malc

Battery on the way out always been my problem when alarm starts playing up.

Or maybe has put in a big fancy WiFi signal nearby, which happened once when we were playing with high power WiFi in the office a couple of years ago.

............ new Lexus/Toyota Battery April 2012 ............. might be I s'pose BUT it started without a murmur this morning even after the constant alarm bells ringing half the night !!!

Malc

Malc

The Battery does'nt need to be much under full charge for the cold to significantly alter its capacity and it is nearly four years old.

You will have your voltage drain going on with the alarm set, so very possible.

The start up takes virtually all the Battery capacity in the instant the starter turns but only for a short period so it will look healthy even though it is not at its best.

Ditch the alarm all together as its an add on when the mk3 came to the uk,made by scorpion originally to cover thatcham insurance crap. its beyond its sell by date by now.

Plenty of after market alarm systems that will fit,i have a Hawk system in mine now,with no issues :-)

..... all ok last night too ............... and still about zero'ish temp. and a little breezy BUT remembering about 2.30 am the first morning a fishing boat was rumbling away just as it was leaving the quayside on the high tide ...... I do wonder if it was really some marine radio wavelength or whatever that caused the activity with my alarm ........ ?

Malc

Your Battery can loose like 90% its capacity when below zero or something.

Thats why it's best to look for a Battery with high CCA (cold cranking amps) that way it should always hold up in the cold weather, I think the one in my subaru is a Bosh with 554cca IIRC

Hi Malc, from another Malc, in Surrey - Following my recent post on alarm going off, I had a spurious door-open indication on dash, although all doors were securely shut, and alarm was triggering not long after door locking! My electrician traced a current leakage between (of all things) the boot-mounted multi-changer, and the boot light, which as a result was not going out (how would I know this!?), telling the alarm that the boot was open. Electricians do earn their money sometimes . . . .

Hi Malc, from another Malc, in Surrey - Following my recent post on alarm going off, I had a spurious door-open indication on dash, although all doors were securely shut, and alarm was triggering not long after door locking! My electrician traced a current leakage between (of all things) the boot-mounted multi-changer, and the boot light, which as a result was not going out (how would I know this!?), telling the alarm that the boot was open. Electricians do earn their money sometimes . . . .

The answer to 'how would you know that'.

Easy, go out one night get far to drunk and end up trying to sleep in the boot of the LS, but not able to do this, as the light keeps you awake all night :iraqi-info-minister:

Oh Yeah, of course it is - BUT, if your boot switch/light was still on, for whatever cause, it would still trigger the alarm, would it not? Get the Mother-in-law in the boot overnight to check it . . . . .

..........  and another sleepful night passes with no alarm going off  .......................  and the temp was down to minus 4 last night here

so I guess it's all ok ????:yahoo:

Malc

I know there's no solution really !

On a subjective level i would have it disconnected, after all it's not an 'alarm' anymore going off like that at random, its just a nuisance.

For what it's worth:

Hi Malc, from another Malc, in Surrey - Following my recent post on alarm going off, I had a spurious door-open indication on dash, although all doors were securely shut, and alarm was triggering not long after door locking! 

My car once had exactly these symptoms (plus one headlamp not working).  It's as if the electrics went haywire.  But after disconnecting, charging and reconnecting the Battery everything was fine again.  It seemed odd that there was enough charge to start the car, but there you are...

...........  I temporarily had it disconnected before but sadly the fuse that covers this also covers the steering rack movement !!  so I lost that too

Malc

Malc

I discovered this the other day which may be worth checking, there should be a microswitch on the main bonnet lock which activates the alarm when set if someone tries to open the bonnet to disconnect the Battery.

The position of the lock means it is subjected to water and dirt ingress which could cause the problem you're having, there is a plug and socket on the latch for the sensor switch.

Steve thank you ......  the main bonnet lock ? ......  is this at the actual catch mechanism at the front by the grill you mean ?

Thanks

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links