Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Guys

Im a "new kid at the block" not a Lexus owner,yet:) but looking forward to became one with your help

...recently spent 7 hours reading the info and comments about the lexus models. Bumped in to this forum with strong, confident decision to buy a is 220d 2009-2010 year model.... Now Im in completely shocked and confused...Does it have such unreliable engine,or its mainly about the outcome of service quality ?

Secondly...how reliable is the IS 250 engine and auto gearbox?Or shell I consider a manual in petrol version?Is there any specific upgrades during 2006-2010 which I should be aware off?What is the real fuel consumption of this sedan with 2.5 petrol?

My miss and I are really in love with the look and the spec of IS model but to avoid THE BIG MISTAKE  I really need you advice and help.

Thank U in advance

Gabor

Hi robag you should go for is250, as had is220d 2006 sel  for 2 yrs nice drive but not good for local driving, had dpf cleaned once but luckily 2nd time only used dpf cleaner and it cleared,mine had 93k when sold it.is220d is sluggish but is250 is completely different car with v6 engine, quiter,smoother with auto box.u find plenty of advice on this site about problems ppl had with 5 injector,head gasket, again I was lucky enough to sell it before it had known issues.what of miles u will b doing????? If loads of miles then go for German diesel.rest is up to u mate

Depends on what type of driving you do and how important fuel consumption is to you.

If all you are going to do is drive around London and do limited miles, then the IS250 Auto is the one to go for.

Whereabouts in London are you?

I have been driving around Southampton since June 2014 and have clocked up a grand total of 13k miles up to now, my bodily parts are still intact (left leg included) and by all accounts traffic in Southampton is not pleasant, at all.

Tnx guys for you replies.

I'm based in Se16, but the car would be for going out of the city 80%  with family on weekends and some trips around Europe on holidays, Mon-Fri public transport only :(

Around 11-13000 mil/year....

As far as I noticed it does 21 and 40MPG on paper, but i think its a bit untrue....

German cars ...... Yes that is an option...or even the 8gen Honda in S-Type 2.2 Diesel....but this Lex is very well equipped and its would be hard to find a German for the same money....

i had a 2.4 Accord prior to my Lexus, albeit a 7th Gen.  The Lexus far better, i almost did buy a 8th gen 2.4 but the spec and gadgets on the Lexus trumped anything on the range topping ex trim on the accord, I have no doubt the Lexus is much better also.

My standards since buying this car have gone up a notch or 2 as I am looking out for a cl55 now.

btw, I get better mpg on my is250 than my old accord.

• Like 1

Typical that you are on the opposite side of London to me.

On the motorways, the IS220D is good, but then so is the IS250.  I do like the instant, strong, mid range torque the diesel provides at motorway speeds.

If you went for the 250, then personally I would go for the Auto cause I think it suits the car better, but it is up to you.  The IS's manual gearbox isn't the greatest.

I was thinking German before getting mine, and I am sure glad I did choose the Lexus in the end.  The equipment, refinement and quality of the IS is outstanding and I love driving mine.

Just now, Shahpor said:

Typical that you are on the opposite side of London to me.

On the motorways, the IS220D is good, but then so is the IS250.  I do like the instant, strong, mid range torque the diesel provides at motorway speeds.

If you went for the 250, then personally I would go for the Auto cause I think it suits the car better, but it is up to you.  The IS's manual gearbox isn't the greatest.

I was thinking German before getting mine, and I am sure glad I did choose the Lexus in the end.  The equipment, refinement and quality of the IS is outstanding and I love driving mine.

have you ever driven a manual is250? and don't go telling me you drove a manual diesel. 

Here we go again :rolleyes1:

How about the opinions of some people that have driven many 250?  manual and auto?  Or the fact that I have tried both manual boxes? Not that it matter since apparently no one is allowed to have an opinion of the manual 250 without you jumping down their throats.

And for the record, as far as shift action and gear changes go, the petrol and diesel cars aren't a million miles apart.

you constantly bash Manuals, you never even have driven a manual petrol ?. I cant comment on auto boxes as I have never driven one but I don't be saying they are worse than manuals,! just saying ....

manual petrol's are rarer in the UK due to tax reasons more than anything I would gather. 

I strongly suggest you go for a drive in a manual, preferably one with a CAI so you have hear the V6 at your leisure.

I constantly bash manuals even though I own one?

Is that like you constantly bashing diesels even though you have never tried one?

I have tried the gearbox on a manual petrol.  I didn't drive the car, but that is not required to test the shift action and gear engagement.

And just cause I said that the manual box wasn't the greatest doesn't mean it is worse than auto boxes.  It means exactly what it says, they aren't the greatest.

And your idea that petrol manuals are rarer cause of tax reasons COULD be complete crap.  Perhaps it is because the majority of people do think the auto is better than the manual?

The guys at my local Lexus dealer certainly think so.  Without doubt they told me that if I was to change cars, then the IS250 Auto was the way to go.

No offence but seems pointless getting anything across to you.  With many people in the UK concerned on road tax I would be pretty certain that the is250 Manual being second highest tax band is not doing itself any favours.  You never drove a manual so stop letting on you did.  I never drove a diesel, manual or auto as i have more sense than others. 

You're right, this is pointless.  I will however continue to express my opinion as I see fit.

For the record, I never said I did drive a manual petrol.  Perhaps you should re-read my post?

8 minutes ago, toffee_pie said:

I never drove a diesel, manual or auto as i have more sense than others. 

Well, this speaks volumes about you, doesn't it?

Finally, Robag, I apologise for de-railing your topic.

• Like 1

Robag your right about spec between German car @ lexus, l had se-l which had lot more toys then German cars, I was looking at bmw m sport business edition which had same toys but had high mileage on them for same price @ also majority of them was diesel again.so next choice was is250 but I'm glad I bought one,not disappointed one bit.as far mpg is concerned on is250, I drove from Plymouth to essex which was 260 miles, was averaging 40ish and only used half tank, which was not bad for v6. Was quite surprised mpg it gave and wasn't driving like an old dear either. Coming back now to manual or auto box, is220d gearbox is a bit notchy, like civic iav driven same, Japanese auto are better, German manuals are lot better.i been driving automatic cars now for 19 yrs.i personally prefer auto but everyone is different, usually big cars are auto as iav had e class merc all automatic. 

25 minutes ago, ahmedali44 said:

Robag your right about spec between German car @ lexus, l had se-l which had lot more toys then German cars, I was looking at bmw m sport business edition which had same toys but had high mileage on them for same price @ also majority of them was diesel again.so next choice was is250 but I'm glad I bought one,not disappointed one bit.as far mpg is concerned on is250, I drove from Plymouth to essex which was 260 miles, was averaging 40ish and only used half tank, which was not bad for v6. Was quite surprised mpg it gave and wasn't driving like an old dear either. Coming back now to manual or auto box, is220d gearbox is a bit notchy, like civic iav driven same, Japanese auto are better, German manuals are lot better.i been driving automatic cars now for 19 yrs.i personally prefer auto but everyone is different, usually big cars are auto as iav had e class merc all automatic. 

I had only manuals before, except one american car 5.0 V8, which was automatic ...

Well, assuming you do prefer the Lexus over other brands, do you have any specific preferences or requirements?  You know, fuel consumption over refinement?  Or auto vs manual?  Perhaps sat nav or other extras that you might like?

2 minutes ago, Shahpor said:

Well, assuming you do prefer the Lexus over other brands, do you have any specific preferences or requirements?  You know, fuel consumption over refinement?  Or auto vs manual?  Perhaps sat nav or other extras that you might like?

I always liked the BMW...but the model Im after is far from my budget...and the quality is not the same anymore...hate Merc's even some say they are good...

no doubt, if I will go for Lex it will be SE-L with navi, curten and Xenon lights....The manual's road tax is f... expensive!!!So auto will do the job....

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links