Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I have had my super RX450h for just under a year (warranty expires next week!) and she has started to play up in quite a timely fashion! It started with the reverse camera intermittently not engaging despite having selected reverse gear.  Camera was replaced by Lexus.  Still, albeit rarely, the camera doesn't always engage.  Enter problems 2 & 3 - the radio and windscreen wipers are switching on and off independently (despite being dry weather)!  Car off to Lexus for inspection but as all are intermittent faults I am concerned they won't find anything and when these faults occur after the warranty has expired I will be handed a rather large repair bill!!! 

Hi. It's worth taking it to the dealers to have a look before next week. I'm sure they will find something. I don't think problems of that sort are very common . good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Definitely worth taking it to the dealer: the important thing is for the fault to be registered BEFORE the warranty expires. If it continues after that, you are more likely to get some  good will gesture on the basis that it was reported within warranty.

• Like 1

Ok Lexus are having the car in next week for a couple of days and have informed the warranty company of the reported faults. I am wondering if the reverse camera issue is related to the relay between the gears and computer as the mirrors also do not tilt down as they would usually do when the camera comes on.  And coupled with the radio and windscreen wipers switching on and off whenever they feel like it leads me to wonder about the software which controls the car.  I assume that there is some computer type gizmo controlling most of the functions of the car - perhaps it is this that is causing all the odd problems.  Anyway, thanks to all for your wise words, I shall report back when the car comes back from Lexus. 

1 hour ago, L3xu5 Mum said:

Ok Lexus are having the car in next week for a couple of days and have informed the warranty company of the reported faults. I am wondering if the reverse camera issue is related to the relay between the gears and computer as the mirrors also do not tilt down as they would usually do when the camera comes on.  And coupled with the radio and windscreen wipers switching on and off whenever they feel like it leads me to wonder about the software which controls the car.  I assume that there is some computer type gizmo controlling most of the functions of the car - perhaps it is this that is causing all the odd problems.  Anyway, thanks to all for your wise words, I shall report back when the car comes back from Lexus. 

To tilt mirrors down put the car in reverse, set the mirrors and put it back in drive and they should go back to normal position.

Then everytime you reverse it'll go to the dipped position. 

Make sure the L and R are not lit or it won't work

Hi Rayaans! Thanks for advice - the mirrors usually tilt unless the reverse camera doesn't engage.  Hopefully Lexus will sort the problem so that everything engages as it should when reverse is selected........... I shall report back.

Hi, if you still have the car (it's not gone back to the dealer yet) it could be that the switch that tells the car it's in reverse has stopped working, hence the problems you report.

Can you tell whether the reverse lamps light when you shift into R? If they don't come on, bingo!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Hi ChrisKaye.  Thanks for your suggestion! I still have the car and if the fault occurs before she goes back up to the dealership next Thursday I shall try and get someone to have a look.   Possibly easier to that than trust her not to run me over whilst I check out the lights........😳.  In any case, I shall draw that possibility to the Service Department's attention.  Last time they simply changed the camera unit but despite this the intermittent fault is still occurring, albeit rarely.  I wonder if the radio and windscreen wipers could also be down to faulty switches? I really appreciate your assistance. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hissy Fit update!  Lexus had her back to deal with her oddities......... They replaced the radio!  How that will resolve the reverse camera not engaging or the windscreen wipers switching on and off randomly I really don't know! However, the faults have been reported under original warranty so hopefully she will be covered for any further issues........ I shall keep you posted.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links