Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After 4 months ownership I thought I had a full understanding of my 460 by now after reading everything in the hand book pack.   Yesterday I was stationary at lights in the middle lane of a 3 lane road with the outside lane being a right turn filter lane.     I moved forward a little to allow a car to get past at the start of the filter turn lane and watched him carefully crawl past me with only inches to spare.   The next thing I saw was "man in a white van" come speeding up in the outside lane clearly with a view to passing me as well  and my first thought was he was going to clip my osr   corner.   I held my breath and suddenly felt my headrest pad touch the back of my head.  It had come forward on it's own as the van came with an inch of my car and I quickly realised the rear bumper sensor must have triggered a pending impact instruction to the headrest.  As soon as the van passed the headrest  returned to the original position. How clever is that?.  I can assure you I didn't do anything or move my head backwards, the headrest came forward to minimise the distance between my head and the headrest.  The next day I searched the manual and couldn't find any reference to any sensor that would do this.   Anyone else had this happen?.   I knew Lexus were clever and this just reinforces their attention to detail.  

• Like 1

In my Owner's Manual, the info is on Pages 246 and 247.........Rear Pre-Crash Safety System: Whiplash Mitigation (pre-crash intelligent head restraint).

Under 'Conditions' it states that the system will be triggered if a vehicle passes you too close at the rear.

PFM!

• Like 1

Thanks Tulpen, I must have missed that confirmation the headrests will change position if a car comes too close from behind.

Cheers

Steve 

Steve, No problem, glad I could help. I'm one of those sad people who likes reading technical manuals. I thought the 300 plus pages in my 400 manual were comprehensive but, as you know, the 460 Tech Manual has 644 pages .......then there is the Navigation Manual with 216 pages.

I've spent a lot of time going through the Tech Manual and I'm reasonably au fait; but the Nav Manual can lose me very quickly.

I found this out in my LS when I had a PCS inoperable warning on dash didn't have a clue what it was so read manual .... Found out why I got warning eventually even after dealer couldn't find the problem and where wanting to replace the sensors at ££££££££££££££, it was my dash cam I'd fitted to windscreen it was obscuring the sensor/camera at top of windscreen behind rear view mirror ....

7 hours ago, Tulpen said:

In my Owner's Manual, the info is on Pages 246 and 247.........Rear Pre-Crash Safety System: Whiplash Mitigation (pre-crash intelligent head restraint).

Under 'Conditions' it states that the system will be triggered if a vehicle passes you too close at the rear.

PFM!

PFM = Please Forgive Me?

Graham, that's a real 'Gotcha'. I thought mine had a lot of sensors but you've got the 600, so there must be even more on your machine. As I said earlier, the thing that loses me is the Navigation Manual. I cannot, for the life of me, see a reason for many of the tricks the nav system is capable of - and I like gadgets.

David, no, it isn't Please Forgive Me..........

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links