Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sadly, my LS400 has been parked up in a barn for the past 3 months due to me not having space to keep it locally at the moment, and now using an Abarth 595 as my everyday car .Now thankfully I've booked the car in to get the timing and a few other bits done at Aberdeen Toyota, so will be taking her out of storage.

The bad news is I never fully planned ahead. I disconnected the Battery and left it in the car and it's only just occurred to me that it'll likely have gone flat when I go to start it up. of course need to disengage the immobilizer by leaving the key in ignition for 5 minuets before starting up.  

My current plan is to get one of them portable power packs I've seen at Halfords, as read they wort a treat. Been reading up that the 'Sealey RS1 12 V 1000 Peak Ampere' is good for starting up big engines so would plan on getting that. 

Has anyone used a power pack of any sorts to start there LS400? Or is there anything else I need to consider? Dont have access to the manual to check myself, as it's inside the car...

Thanks in advance! :) 

I would suggest removing the Battery from the car and charging it with one of the new type smart chargers which will automatically test the condition of the Battery before charging it at the optimum rate, if the Battery has failed during its non use period this would also be flagged up.

Once fully charged and back on the car as you mention you need to reset the security system by leaving the ignition on for around 5 minutes the engine should then start. The check VSC light may come on but will go off after running for a while.

You may have to reset the steering and seat memories and radio stations, if you left the parking brake on the shoes may be stuck to the drum but generally break free when the car moves but may make a bang as they do.

Another check given the storage conditions is for rodent damage, they seem to like chewing wiring looms and nesting in the engine bay.

Just make sure you reconnect the Battery the correct way around!

You can also access the car with a flat Battery using the key, the alarm back up Battery will be depleted also so won't go off.

• Like 1

If as you say you disconnected the Battery I don't know that it won't still hold a charge after three months.  If it was in good condition when left, it will probably only need a trickle charge on it for a day or less.

Mind you, you may be committing yourself to quite a lot of expense.  Timing belt, water pump etc and labour cost alone is "Ouch"!. Add to this possible seized calipers, rusty discs,, starter motor locked and it could be a very expensive holiday you've given the Car.

As Steve says, Rodent possible damage / infestation and it could be a lost cause. Sorry if this all sounds gloomy and hoping you will have none of the problems.  My MR2 I laid up for six years in a Garage. It started on original petrol with a bit of new, after I'd let some oil soak in the pots, but Calipers, Alternator, Discs made it an expensive fix only to find i had a head gasket leak. Sold it for a couple of hundred just to get rid of the headache.

Hi Callum

I have left my Lexus for the last ten years idle through the winter for three months.

I disconnect the Battery and insulate the terminals with vinyl gloves so they do not contact any metal .

When I return to the car I simply connect the terminals, positive first, then start the car.

This year there were a couple of glitches on start up but the Battery had not been recharged so could have been low causing the ECU to play games but after a run down south last weekend the car is fine.

The engine ECU as memory in it that is maintained only when the correct amount of power is running through, this power will dissipate over time when the car is idle so the ECU as to relearn its functions this causes the afore mentioned glitches.

• Like 1

I used to have an abarth essessee... An absolute hoot to drive and completely the opposite to the Lexus. I hope this story ends well for the Lexus.....

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Took all the precautions when I laid it up for rest. Up on axle stands, wheels off, park brake off, unlocked, covered etc. So should okay on that front.  Problems with rodent's shouldn't be a problem either, the owner has 5 cats all of which are farm cats so hopefully that'll have stopped anything nasty. And to top it off the car is quilt literally 'mothballed', scattered moth balls around the outside and under the car, before covering it. Hoping it'll have done the trick.

Hopefully shouldn't be any mechanical problems from this, had my old Honda Civic Aerodeck parked up on the parents driveway for 8 months and all it needed was a jump start and was ready to drive away again.

I've got a second option for the Battery, I'm hoping my friend who has a '94 LS400 will let me borrow his Battery for the day. Means I can get home and then put my one on charge. If not I'll be buying a power pack.

Here's hoping for the best. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the bump, just an update.

Never needed a Battery, power pack or anything. Decided to give the Battery I'd left in a try and fired up first time, only thowing the VSC light up, which went away after I drove from the barn to the road.Great to be back with the old girl, effortless power and refinement! Only problems was the first few miles, treating it like the Abarth 595 and forgetting the length/width of it, but re-accustomed myself with it again.

Currently in getting a service & timing done, as well as track rod ends and prop shaft seal's. Originally just in for the service & timing, but advised for the seal & track rods(Know about them both admittedly, just waiting until they needed done...).

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links