Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Inlet manifold clean

Guest bigbullhead

Had my inlet manifold and a new EGR valve fitted they removed nearly 1kg of

carbon 

pics to follow as it shows you could not get your finger into the inlet because of carbon build up and my EGR valve did not close properly very happy and mph is rising very happy and money well spent on 158000 miles now here's to the next milestone

Damn, that is a lot of gunk.

There was another thread on here a while back of someone with the same problem.

I suppose it shouldn't come as too much a surprise considering how often we have to clean the EGR valves.

Still, this does begs the question, what made you take off the manifold in the first place?

For someone like me, who's 220d has 116,000 miles on it, it can be tricky deciding when it is a good time to give it a clean.  I did try sticking an endoscope down the manifold when I last cleaned my EGR valve, but I couldn't get its head around the bend.

I assume it was several hours labour cost to remove and reinstall everything?  Considering it is almost all labour that the job consists of, we need someone to post a detailed guide with pictures of its removal, so that people like me who are too chicken to try it might consider having a go. :smile:

That is a lot of carbon/soot. Job worth doing!

Makes you wonder how many other diesels are out there with the same problem.

My daughter in laws' Freelander has just had a similar outcome. Vehicle starts and runs so much better now.

Guest bigbullhead

It was 900 quid including fitting of egr valve but in the scheme of things I budget 22 pounds a week for maintenance costs so well within budget lik

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links