Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys,

As you all probably know by now I had a very bad experience with an LS430.

I am considering getting a mk4 LS400, I don't have a particular car in mind but just wondered what to check for on the 400. I know it doesn't have the air suspension worries. The LS430 gearbox failed and I believe it's because coolant had managed to get into the gearbox oil because of radiator corrosion, does the LS400 have the same problem? Any other tips and advice would be appreciated!!! I'm not going to rush into it, I'll be taking my time to make sure I get a good Lexus this time!!! Cheers guys.

The MK4 doesn't seem to suffer with the same transmission problems, although to be fair, it is rare on the LS430. Suspension components are likely to be the most costly, so no knocks or creaks going over bumps and pot holes.  The obvious stuff is cam belt change, and very good history.  The steering wheel motors fail on these as well, and water can get in via the door tweeters. Exhaust Y piece nearly always blows, so that's certainly one to check.  Bonnet struts also fail but cheap and easy to replace.  The one I had earlier this year had an oil leak from both sides of the engine, possibly the cam covers.  It also had a puff of blue smoke on start up (one of the reasons it went back) although that's rare.  Checking MOT history on line now is a real help, it helps to determine how well a car has been looked after. 

If your looking to buy a Mark 4 here’s what to look out for:

Make sure it has a full or at least a good service history which includes the cambelt change.

On driving the ride should be quite smooth comfortable with no noises or creaks from the suspension. Gearbox changes should not be noticeable

Upon inserting key the steering should tilt and retract - test and make sure the mechanism works

When starting from cold the starter should engage and start the engine immediately - if there is clicking sound then be prepared to have the starter or starter contacts replaced - the is a big job - takes about 7 hours therefore costs a lot and finding a competent mechanic who has the knowledge to properly dismantle and reassemble everything may not be as easy as you think..

Braking should be quite and smooth - if you get a groaning noise when coming to stop that’s a sign of cheap aftermarket brake pads - they will need replacing.

Check colour of gearbox oil it should be red with no smell of burning.

Check all electrics work

Check the temperature display backlight works - these fail and require a lot of dismantling to replace.

Check the bonnet struts hold the bonnet

Check there is no water or dampness in the spare wheel well - if yes then boot seal needs replacing or sealing

Check the car has the correct Toyota red coolant

Ask if the cabin filter has ever been changed - these are often over looked.

Check toolkit is present

Check for exhaust blow - the Y pipe is prone to leaking

Make sure there are no warning lights lit in the dash

Ideally you want 2 remote and one grey key

Check the car has a matching set of tyres and wether they are branded or not - this should give an indication wether the car has been pampered or neglected

Check the headlamp levelling mechanism still works - these often fail

Before driving off make sure you have the say nav code and locking wheel nut key

hope this helps

• Like 1

Martin, I've had a mk4 for 4 years and even though now an older car, I can honestly say it's been the best motor I've ever owned (and I've been driving for donkey's years). A couple of small possible faults to add to the list are; the washer bottle float gives up the ghost and so the washer bottle dash light stays on, (a very easy fix).  The headlight washer motor dies, (again, an easy fix, cost me a £7 used part). Apart from that I have spent money on worn suspension parts (146,000 miles) and service items i.e. plugs, oil, filters, etc and that's about it. Mine runs on LPG too. Great motor.

Also make sure heated wing mirrors work, and be aware that the mirrors will appear to move when turn ignition key.  This appears to be dirt in the mirror sensors, and just means about once of twice a week you need to fold the mirrors in to reset get them to point where you wan when folded outt.

As far as I know it can be fixed, but a bit of a faff, so never bothered.

Check the CD 6 pack works, as I hear they can some times go, and also is there a Sat Nav CD installed in the boot unit (otherwise you have problems with some of the system settings (the Sat Nav is pretty naff though- now 15 years out of date and not upgradeable to new road maps).

But I would add the Mk4 is a lovely beast, and IMHO worth spending money on if you get a good one in the first place and look after it.

I think the only fault with the Mk4 is the naff fog lamps, which compared to my previous Mk2 are almost useless.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links