Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been told I need a new Caliper Mount and bolts which is about £190 including vat!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as this seems really excessive. Car is an 08 IS220d.

Please help!!!

Cheers :wink3:

Yes. Fix it yourself. :)

Caliper can be unseized. Don't even need a new bolt if done properly.

But steps will be something like this:

jackup the car, use stands, remove wheel

remove brake caliper

Disconnect brake lines and plug them so it doesnt leak

take the caliper and soak it in penetrant like wd40 penetrant for a day or two

take the caliper and hammer it with small hammer to break the rust weld. 

When pin is free, clean it, sand it and polish it. re assemble.

If you  take your time, all you will spend is 6 pounds on Ceratech grease for the pin/bolt, 5 pounds on Dot 5.1.brake fluid flush, and may.be 7 pounds on caliper paint if you want to paint it. 

Tools you will need is another thing if you dont have them. Ask indie if they can do this for.you... 

Thanks very much!

Sorry im not too mechanically minded so is it that the caliper is seized? It rattles like mad on any type of rough road.  Still stops like a train though. Just had brembo pads all round and brake fluid. Mechanic mentioned fronts calipers were seized but managed to unseize them (its the drivers side front)

1 hour ago, blackcts said:

I've been told I need a new Caliper Mount and bolts which is about £190 including vat!!! Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do as this seems really excessive. Car is an 08 IS220d.

Please help!!!

Cheers :wink3:

Picture below is from a how to in changing the callipers that I posted a while ago for both the mounts and callipers. I don't know who has told you that you need new bolts for the front. Unless the bolts holding the calliper carrier are seized on the car - haven't heard that before. I think they more than likely mean the slide pins (x2). These will seize if they are not regularly maintained.

Its a good idea to know how to do these as like you are experiencing now, every couple of years you will be looking at a cost to either replace or un-seize them. It is an easy job. No real mechanical know how is required but if you are not sure, best not to mess about with your brakes (same for the rears and if you are looking at a full replacement of callipers for all 4 corners then you will have a hole in your pocket to the tune of around £1300, dealer price, fitted !). The top picture shows the carrier / two securing bolts and the two slide pins. The bottom picture is of the new carrier. You will probably find that the whole assembly is easier to find rather than the carrier itself.

If you find a carrier then its important to ensure the brake pad pinch clips are included on the carrier - if not then rescue them from the old carrier.

I may have a used spare one in my garage - I will have a look and let you know.

8.JPG

15.JPG

• Like 1

I have one spare carrier with pins don't know what side it is from and it comes from a 250 - used and not seized. but reading your post again I cant see how the brakes are rattling as the pads are held in with pinch springs (or whatever they are called) and your brake components should all be secure, no bolts should be loose at all. there is a rubber washer shim on one of the slide pins (shown in the first picture) that's designed to be an anti rattle washer for the brake but I have ran a 200 and this 250 at times without this washer and there is no indication of any noise,

Are you sure its coming from the brakes or is this just an assumption from what the garage has told you and the work they have done? Brakes should not rattle - they will squeal if the calipers on its way out or they require copperslip but not rattle.

Is it just on rough roads that its noisy? Is it noisy on smooth roads?

There was an issue reported on the forum about shocks a while ago when they were on their way out and they were producing rattling noises, I think from failing valves within them...

A bit more info......

@is200newbie - thanks so much for all your help. The car was perfect until it went in to an indie for a service where it had 4 new brake pads replaced.  The mechanic mentioned the brakes were seized at the front but managed to free them. Ever since there has been a rattling ovet rough surfaces which completely goes away with the lightest touch of the brake. One mechanic thought it was bushes (after a quick look) a second mechanic had it up on the ramp and said that I needed to get caliper mounts and bolts from lexus.

I think it is too much of a coincidence that this noise only started after the pads were replaced and the fact the noise goes away when braking tells me it must be caliper related. 

A pain in the rear!!!

Thanks again

I wonder if they broke something... rattle seems like something not in place. Someone else will give a hint. But without looking it is hard to tell

Go to them, tell them it was fine before. You took a working car and got a broken back... 

Ask them to show you what is wrong and that you will send pictures to someone for opinion. But do suggest to them that you know they screwed it up. 

Yet to see a decent mechanic. They never take it on their chin and admit a mistake.

6 hours ago, jackcramerr said:

I wonder if they broke something... rattle seems like something not in place. Someone else will give a hint. But without looking it is hard to tell

Go to them, tell them it was fine before. You took a working car and got a broken back... 

Ask them to show you what is wrong and that you will send pictures to someone for opinion. But do suggest to them that you know they screwed it up. 

Yet to see a decent mechanic. They never take it on their chin and admit a mistake.

I'd have to agree with that, if the rattle wasn't there before they must have done something wrong surely? Sounds like a spring missing or misplaced doesn't it?

A quick way to determine what it is if its something obvious - take the wheel off and have a mooch about trying to see if any parts are loose... move parts to replicate the noise

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links