Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2010 rx450h test drive - what to look for?

Hi, after a couple of years and the thoughts of getting an isf, I've opted for space rather than speed.

I'm going to test drive an rx450h tomorrow and thought I'd ask the experts if there's any obvious problems to look for in this vehicle. The consensus seems to be positive with this car so I'm really looking forward to it. It's an se-l model rather than an se-L, although I'm not sure whether to go for the more specced model.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcomed. Cheers.

SE-L has the air suspension and more gadgets but the air suspension costs big money if it goes wrong.

Id stick with the SE-I to avoid the potential air suspension issue. Just test drive it like you would any car, there's no major issues on these whatsoever but usually if something seems obviously wrong or casts doubt, then most likely it isn't right.

Any link for the car you are going to see?

Thanks for the advice. Rather not put it on at the minute in case someone else snaffles it before me. Haha. I'll come back to you tomorrow when/if I put a deposit on it.

I was tempted by the SE-L as I've read good things about the LED headlights.  I was more worried about any issues with the hybrid system and regeneration braking as I've no no experience of these. Thanks.

2 hours ago, monster said:

Hi, after a couple of years and the thoughts of getting an isf, I've opted for space rather than speed.

I'm going to test drive an rx450h tomorrow and thought I'd ask the experts if there's any obvious problems to look for in this vehicle. The consensus seems to be positive with this car so I'm really looking forward to it. It's an se-l model rather than an se-L, although I'm not sure whether to go for the more specced model.

Any thoughts and advice would be welcomed. Cheers.

Is it from a Lexus dealer?

I find my Lexus warranty invaluable...

It's not from Lexus but from a reputable dealer (rather than a back street dealer). I did this so that I'd have some come back should there be any problems.

Would I be able to buy a Lexus warranty after buying the car even if I didn't buy from them?

35 minutes ago, monster said:

It's not from Lexus but from a reputable dealer (rather than a back street dealer). I did this so that I'd have some come back should there be any problems.

Would I be able to buy a Lexus warranty after buying the car even if I didn't buy from them?

Generally the car has to have less than 140k miles on it and be less than 10 years old to qualify for the Lexus extended warranty so you should have no issues getting a warranty put on it by a Lexus dealer.

These cars are bulletproof and Ive not heard of any issues with the hybrid system on the 450h's so far. Mine is currently on 40k and hasnt had any problems.

The LED headlights are awesome but I dont think you would be disappointed with the HID headlights. Of course, if you get an SE-L and have a Lexus extended warranty put on, it will cover the air suspension so you could do that?

You can PM me with the cars you are interested in. Ill take a look and see if I can spot anything wrong with them :)

You can buy a Lexus extended warranty. It would need to have full service history and you have to get it serviced by a Lexus dealer during the warranty period. Some dealers may charge you an inspection fee to confirm everything is fully working at the point of taking out the warranty (to avoid people just taking out a warranty when something goes wrong), others may not charge as they are getting income from the warranty sale.

Test drove the rx450h today and although I drove it quite conservatively, like a previous poster,  I thought it felt a little slow. It's was definitely in Eco mode though.

I've a few questions for existing owners if you don't mind?

Does it have a spare wheel and if so where is it located?

At what mileage should the cambelt be changed?

Is there a USB port to charge a phone or play music?

Ive been offered a non Lexus dealer warranty for £599 for 3 yrs. Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

As per your questions:

1) Yes it does have a spare wheel. It is located in the boot under the carpet.

2) 450h doesn't have a cambelt, its chain driven I believe so you dont need to replace it.

3) USB port should be in the centre armrest

4) Non lexus dealer warranty probably not worth it in all honesty. Get the Lexus one, its very comprehensive and you get 2 years Lexus roadside too which is £125 per year if you get it separate.

Honestly you need to go back and test drive the vehicle without Eco mode on. It completely ruins the car, no idea why people use it TBH. Its downright dangerous on junctions. Take it out of ECO and its not slow - trust me, the thing can outrun a Porsche Cayenne Hybrid in mid range acceleration.

Thanks very much for the info.

The spare wheel was in the boot as they had just replaced 2 tires so I couldn't be bothered lifting it up out of there to check underneath (it was lashing it down at that point and was getting soaked).

Does the timing chain need any form of maintenance/replacement? I'm thinking for when the car approached the 80k and 100k services is there anything big that's needs looking at?

i couldn't see the USB port at all and neither could the salesman - which is worrying.

The warranty offered covers everything mechanical or electrical and will be done with Lexus parts and sent to the dealership if they can't fix it apparently (and includes AA cover).

I know what you mean about dangerous at roundabout in Eco but knew it must be a simple setting as its 0-60 is 7.something secs.  

All in all it was a nice car and drive, even if I did try to start it 4-5 times without realising it was already on! Haha.

Hi

The USB/AUX ports are found if you lift up the central arm rest. Underneath the sliding tray (best removed to see them) you will find both ports at the front near the bottom.

The next major service is at 60k miles which is nearly £800 so a service plan to my mind makes sense. I bought my 450h in February and decided to go with the Service Plan with Lexus including the Major 60K service in the deal and the next 3 services ( 1 major/2 intermediate) for £895. To my mind that was a good deal and you are getting the reassurance of genuine Lexus parts/labour/repairs. Also you get the Lexus recovery service free for the first year.

Yes the ECO does kill the performance of the 450h. Try it on normal and you will soon find the difference. Prepare yourself for it though.

Hope you find the right car

Thanks, looks like I have done. It's a se-l in grey with black leather with 78k miles, 1 owner, full lex service history from a Nissan garage with their 3 yr warranty. Just been serviced and mot'd by themselves. 2 new tyres and full body machine polish. Deposit paid so pick up next week.  

Just thinking about a couple of simple mods for it now. Led lights all round, front and rear scuff plates, possibly roof bars.

Any idea if the 80k service contains anything that isn't covered in the normal ones? I want to make certain that a full service has been completed. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, monster said:

Thanks, looks like I have done. It's a se-l in grey with black leather with 78k miles, 1 owner, full lex service history from a Nissan garage with their 3 yr warranty. Just been serviced and mot'd by themselves. 2 new tyres and full body machine polish. Deposit paid so pick up next week.  

Just thinking about a couple of simple mods for it now. Led lights all round, front and rear scuff plates, possibly roof bars.

Any idea if the 80k service contains anything that isn't covered in the normal ones? I want to make certain that a full service has been completed. 

Thanks

The 80k service is just a normal full service. It doesn't have anything else I dont think. Timing chain doesnt need maintenance. I believe the 100k service is slightly more expensive than a full service but not as much as the 60k one which would have been done anyway.

It depends on how long you want to keep the car. After 3 years you won't be able to get Lexus warranty due to Nissan service history.

Thanks for the reply. Glad next major service isn't too big. Services will be done at lexus, the 3yr warranty is with Nissan should anything go wrong.

is there any advantage to having the mark levinson sound rather than standard (eg DVD, hdd, dab)?

thanks.

15 hours ago, monster said:

Thanks for the reply. Glad next major service isn't too big. Services will be done at lexus, the 3yr warranty is with Nissan should anything go wrong.

is there any advantage to having the mark levinson sound rather than standard (eg DVD, hdd, dab)?

thanks.

Sounds better and you can play DVD's on it but apart from that not really.

I have a similar car (SE-I), which is going for its 80k service this week. FYI I was quoted £465 by my local dealer, parts and labour for the service.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

I have a similar car (SE-I), which is going for its 80k service this week. FYI I was quoted £465 by my local dealer, parts and labour for the service.

WHAT!!! £445 is the fixed price! Whats the extra £20 for?

19 hours ago, rayaans said:

WHAT!!! £445 is the fixed price! Whats the extra £20 for?

:whistling: Typo on my part... very sorry... £445 is what I was quoted.

... and take 15% off for gold membership of this forum.

3 hours ago, DanD said:

:whistling: Typo on my part... very sorry... £445 is what I was quoted.

... and take 15% off for gold membership of this forum.

It appears they are all doing fixed price services with no discounts anymore! Really annoying - might get gold Membership!

After nearly changing my mind and buying a 63 plate, fully kitted out Vw Tiguan R line ..... I'm picking my 60 plate rx450h today. Just thinking of future costs but does the regenerative braking system need special parts? I.e are the brake pads, discs and rotors different from normal cars? Thanks.

5 hours ago, monster said:

After nearly changing my mind and buying a 63 plate, fully kitted out Vw Tiguan R line ..... I'm picking my 60 plate rx450h today. Just thinking of future costs but does the regenerative braking system need special parts? I.e are the brake pads, discs and rotors different from normal cars? Thanks.

Nope, normal brake pads and discs.

Its cheaper on the brakes actually because it uses regen before switching to friction.

Im on 40k and brakes are only 30% used. I could run the car on the same brakes till its hit 90k

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links