Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spare Wheel

Beau Nidle

Hi...   Not being happy with the thought of just having the can of sticky stuff in the event of a puncture I have bought a 'get you home' space saver wheel in the correct 17 inch size to match the road wheels.  However the damn thing won't fit in the well in the boot.  Having read other threads I was prepared for it to stand proud of the well and the insert tray not fitting but the wheel won't even go into the aperture - in fact nowhere near it...  

Now placing the space saver wheel alongside the road wheel on the car it looks the same diameter, which is puzzling.  Am I missing something here??

I got a second hand Prius space saver for mine but it's 16 inch. Fits perfectly in the well. I just can't use the plastic tray. Strange that yours doesn't fit. You could do with someone with 17 inch wheels seeing this.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

The space saver for CT200 models is the same regardless of what size the other wheels are. CTs use 15", 16" &17" wheels as standard but the space savers are all the same. ( same as the prius). The different sizes of wheel all have different aspect ratios giving approximately identical circumferences to all types of tyre.  The apsect ratio of the space saver is contrived to give a similar circumference to all the other wheels despite the fact that the space saver is narrow. I guess that if you bought a 17" space saver you will need a low profile space saver tyre in order to fit that into your spare wheel well. I am guessing that your space saver doesnt come from a CT or a prius or an auris.

9 hours ago, thar said:

I got a second hand Prius space saver for mine but it's 16 inch. Fits perfectly in the well. I just can't use the plastic tray. Strange that yours doesn't fit. You could do with someone with 17 inch wheels seeing this.

Huzzah!

size.jpg

wheel.jpg

• 6 years later...

just be glad u have correct size space saver. had my ct200h 3 years. got a puncture one day. used repair kit. but it was sidewall puncture.so they are useless. took out space saver. put it on. car wont move. sure its the wrong size wheel. Great. would love to meet the idiot who put that in boot. mine are 17" wheels aswel. if u cant fit 17" space-saver sure u might aswel buy full size spare wheel. just bring it on long journeys 

In 69 years of driving car, I remember having needed spare wheel 3 times. All of them in Africa on roads seldom to find similar in Europe.

I have been riding mountain bike on even worse trails and have fixed first tubes with glue and patches, later fixed tyres with sealant that in the beginning was latex based and these sealants were awful, the sealant dried out in summer in a couple of weeks here and then no longer was functioning and when getting the latex sealant on clothes it could not be removed. I read about a sealant used in desert race with all terrain cars and tried that in bike tyres. Bought a couple of bottles and have never needed spare tyres or fixing them in order not to have to walk home. Does not dry out and sealed all the holes I got in tyres from thorns, lava, flint and bad driving. The sealant in Lexus cars will get old and I am going to use QuadBoss sealant, should I get a leak in a tyre. Tyre shops are not really fond of latex-based sealants as cleaning machines after sealant come on them is not something that is easy. QuadBoss can be washed off with nothing more than water. So far have not needed it in the CT, but have used several litres in mountain-bikes

ride_1.jpg.ea5cce6e02f0e9b82524197e209da73f.jpg     hunt_2.jpg.2fd588776180d6193ad11da537705904.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/28/2022 at 9:49 PM, davidlacyh@hotmail.com said:

just be glad u have correct size space saver. had my ct200h 3 years. got a puncture one day. used repair kit. but it was sidewall puncture.so they are useless. took out space saver. put it on. car wont move. sure its the wrong size wheel. Great. would love to meet the idiot who put that in boot. mine are 17" wheels aswel. if u cant fit 17" space-saver sure u might aswel buy full size spare wheel. just bring it on long journeys 

What size is your spare?

6 minutes ago, davidlacyh@hotmail.com said:

it's a 16 inch space saver I have 17 inch wheels

The CT can come as standard with 16" wheels so a 16" saver should be fine - but there are other measurements that affect the suitability in addition to just rim size.

When you say it won't move, can you add a bit more detail there in what exactly didn't work? It is possible the saver only fits on the rear, so if you have a front wheel puncture you would have to do a bit more work to get going.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links