Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto upchange.

Correct me if I am wrong, but am I right in saying that with the gearbox set to 'drive', upshifts are automatic, but in manual up shifts have to be done manually?

Is there anyway that in manual I can still get the upshift done automatically (before hitting the rev limiter)? Not the end of the world if this is not possible, it's just what I'm used to coming from a BMW.

Apologies if dumb question.

Many thanks :)

Hi,

Afraid not. You're understanding of the modes is correct. 

The box differs from others by not nannying things in manual mode. 

It will change eventually, but can't see it being healthy for the box or engine.

Try sport button or Apexi throttle controller? Both help in their own different ways. :yes:

This was actually a very specific design decision. Many complain about cars ups gifting when in manual when they don't want them to or too early etc. As such Lexus made it so in manual is is as close to manual as you can be in and auto car. I think it's a great feature. 

I'd hate it to auto-upchange!

i had a Merc SL500 previously and whilst it was a good car, the 'manual' mode was a joke! If you selected 4th, for example, it would use all gears 1-2-3-4 and if you got within 250-ish rpm of the redline, it'd change to 5th anyway!

I love the way the ISF will pull from about 1200rpm to the redline and stay in the gear you've selected until you choose otherwise. 

Its about as good as it gets in an auto...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links