Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Issues...again

Hello!

Woke up one morning (11th July) and found a sizable puddle on the driveway, thinking nothing of it, I drove to work and when I got here, I lifted the bonnet and there was a huge coolant leak and the reservoir was well below the minimum marker. The coolant was absolutely everywhere - it had been spewing onto all the hoses, components and everywhere else. I called Lexus and explained the issue, they advised me not to drive the vehicle and call Lexus Assist so it can be towed to their workshop in Bradford, whilst explaining that the AA will provide me with a courtesy car.

I called Lexus Assist and they sent a guy from the AA to come and inspect the vehicle at my workplace, he couldn't find anything wrong so he carried out a quick pressure check and everything came out relatively normal. He explained the leak could be an internal problem and I should take the vehicle to Lexus. I explained that I've been advised not to drive it, but he nonchalantly filled the reservoir with water and was merrily on his way.

I called Lexus again, explained that the AA refused to tow the vehicle in and said that I should take it down to Bradford myself; I explained that there were a number of issues I'd like them to look at:

1 - The coolant leak.

2 - A knocking noise from the front driver-side - this is a problem which was prevalent when I bought the vehicle from Lexus back in November 2015 and it had been back in the workshop for this matter previously. They had dismissed it as 'nothing' and everything is 'fine.'

3 - Recently, the electric seats have been going crazy! I have the easy access/exit switched on, but when I open the door, the seat automatically reverts to seating position number 2 which isn't mine. I've had a play with all the settings but nothing seems to resolve this matter and it's become annoying.

Lexus then booked it in for an inspection the following morning. I took the car in and after booking it in, I was left feeling a little disappointed as there was no courtesy/loan car prepared for me to drive away in. Despite informing Lexus that the AA refused to tow my car, thus not providing me with a courtesy car, Lexus were then reluctant to offer me a loan car as they were all pre-assigned to other customers. Eventually, after a little toing and froing, they managed to provide me with a CT200h and I went off with a grin on my face.

Later that afternoon, Lexus called me to inform me that my car was ready to collect. So I drove to the dealership where I was handed an inspection sheet of my vehicle which explained the problems they uncovered.

1 - The coolant leak was due to a dodgy hosepipe and ill-fitting cap. They've had to order this. In the meantime, they've topped the reservoir with coolant - which has been leaking quite freely.

2 - The knocking noise are the brake pads - they move freely within the caliper, but they've stressed that this is nothing to worry about. To me, it doesn't seem like it's a brake pad problem as the noise gets louder when I go over speed bumps, but who am I to question the mechanics with their infinite wisdom(!) Granted, it potentially could be nothing to worry about, but having paid a lot of money for the car and raising this issue with Lexus on several occasions, they've failed to address the problem - something I'm not happy about as they sold the car to me in this state.

3 - The seats. They totally forgot to check the seats and why they're behaving in the manner that they are. That's fine, it's only a £30k+ vehicle which isn't behaving as it should usually, and has become annoying.

4 - The rear shocker is leaking and needs replacing, again, they've ordered it and it'll changed on 23rd July along with the other problems.

Any thoughts?

"2 - The knocking noise are the brake pads - they move freely within the caliper, but they've stressed that this is nothing to worry about. To me, it doesn't seem like it's a brake pad problem as the noise gets louder when I go over speed bumps, but who am I to question the mechanics with their infinite wisdom(!) Granted, it potentially could be nothing to worry about, but having paid a lot of money for the car and raising this issue with Lexus on several occasions, they've failed to address the problem - something I'm not happy about as they sold the car to me in this state."

Similar happened to me. Had the 'rusty' brake 'clips' replaced and the brake pads skimmed to make them flat and even again, and the problem was fixed.

No.3  - Loose wire?

No.4 - I assume under warranty.

7 minutes ago, PCM said:

"2 - The knocking noise are the brake pads - they move freely within the caliper, but they've stressed that this is nothing to worry about. To me, it doesn't seem like it's a brake pad problem as the noise gets louder when I go over speed bumps, but who am I to question the mechanics with their infinite wisdom(!) Granted, it potentially could be nothing to worry about, but having paid a lot of money for the car and raising this issue with Lexus on several occasions, they've failed to address the problem - something I'm not happy about as they sold the car to me in this state."

Similar happened to me. Had the 'rusty' brake 'clips' replaced and the brake pads skimmed to make them flat and even again, and the problem was fixed.

No.3  - Loose wire?

They've copper greased, and re-greased the brakes but to no avail. They seem reluctant to do anything. It doesn't seem like a brake pads problem to me. The car does tend to make more noise whilst steering at low speeds or going over speed bumps.

It could well be a loose wire, but its driving me mad. If it carries on for much longer, I'll have a loose wire in my head lol.

Yes, the shocker is under warranty and will be replaced. 

28 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

how about bringing it to another dealer?

I've got a good mind of having it towed to the dealership through Lexus Assist, acquiring a courtesy car and tell them not to take the car back unless it's completely finished. In fact, I shall call Lexus Customer Service and give them a piece of my mind.

Just now, Slickk said:

I've got a good mind of having it towed to the dealership through Lexus Assist, acquiring a courtesy car and tell them not to take the car back unless it's completely finished. In fact, I shall call Lexus Customer Service and give them a piece of my mind.

I ask for their ( Lexus Customer service ) help first - get them on-side so to speak ...? 

Or as others say, try another Lexus dealer?

I get the impression that because Lexus cars are so reliable and well made that when a genuine problem does arise they don't take it seriously. 

I had an F Sport IS300h and it had a strange knocking noise from the front wheel. It turned out to be a detached tyre pressure sensor banging about inside the tyre!!   They replaced it under warranty but had sold be the car like that 11 months before. 

It was only heard at slow speed and was still working so no dashboard lights or fault codes showing.

Good luck and I hope they fix your car soon.

Ed:yes:

• Like 1

Lexus bradford are pretty awesome so if they've told you theres not much they can do that's that 

Firstly,  the knocking brake noise is normal. Pads sometimes move around. There's nothing wrong with that. 

The seats is an easy fix. You have to assign the default seat setting numbee to the key. How you do it might be in the manual. I think you have to press and hold set and one of the mirrors or something.

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

Lexus bradford are pretty awesome so if they've told you theres not much they can do that's that 

Firstly,  the knocking brake noise is normal. Pads sometimes move around. There's nothing wrong with that. 

The seats is an easy fix. You have to assign the default seat setting numbee to the key. How you do it might be in the manual. I think you have to press and hold set and one of the mirrors or something.

The seats is an odd one. Lexus assume that I may have switched keys, thus assigning alternative settings. However, I've only ever used one set of keys since I purchased the vehicle. I genuinely do not have any idea why they're behaving as they are. As for the noise, I'm certain it's not a brake pad issue, the pads are new and don't particularly move about. Even it it was, driving around in a car that makes such a disconcerting noise - I mean, seriously? I wouldn't accept that at all.

I agree, Lexus Bradford are very, very good at what they do. But there must be someway of resolving these niggles, which, no matter how trivial they may turn out to be, are rather annoying.

Each key stores different seat setting as they assume different drivers use each key. It's not that you changed the set you have to use the same key to keep seat settings. Unless you set both to be the same. So you got

2 keys with car if you keep alternating between those 2 keys without saving the identical seat settings it's going to change seat positions. Not the cars fault you keep alternating keys.

1 hour ago, Eire Lexus said:

Each key stores different seat setting as they assume different drivers use each key. It's not that you changed the set you have to use the same key to keep seat settings. Unless you set both to be the same. So you got

2 keys with car if you keep alternating between those 2 keys without saving the identical seat settings it's going to change seat positions. Not the cars fault you keep alternating keys.

I don't think you quite understood when I wrote '... I've only ever used one set of keys since I purchased the vehicle.' Which is all the more reason as to why I'm perplexed by this annoyance. I've not changed the keys, not altered the seat settings or anything else. I opened the door one morning and it just started to happen.

1 hour ago, Eire Lexus said:

Will be trying this later on today :)

Memory Seat_Key_store.PNG

• Like 1

Do the above and set it to 1. It should sort the seat issue out And it shouldn't go to 2 from then onwards. 

It's possible you accidently pressed them or the dealer did making it go to 2

About this knocking noise, hiw exactly does it happen?  When you brake and take off ONLY or when driving at a consistent speed? 

My RX did it. Made a thump each time I took off and braked. Lexus Bradford said it was a pin sliding about and fixed it

21 hours ago, rayaans said:

hang on, the knocking brake noise is normal....? 

in all 38 years of enthusiastic motoring i have never experienced a knocking sound from the brake area. a sound that gets worse running over speed bumps?

i would immediately bring my car to the dealer for inspection as brakes should be no risk 100%

if the dealer tells you it is normal because of "moving pads" just go somewhere else. Take No risk.

21 hours ago, rayaans said:

in all 38 years of enthusiastic motoring i have never experienced a knocking sound from the brake area. a sound that gets worse running over speed bumps?

i would immediately bring my car to the dealer for inspection as brakes should be no risk 100%

if the dealer tells you it is normal because of "moving pads" just go somewhere else. Take No risk.

I don't think you quite understood when I wrote '... I've only ever used one set of keys since I purchased the vehicle.' Which is all the more reason as to why I'm perplexed by this annoyance. I've not changed the keys, not altered the seat settings or anything else. I opened the door one morning and it just started to happen.

I understand, but misunderstood. To me a set is more than one and as there is the 2 keys with car I assumed you used both.

2 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

A small knock when going over bumps and when braking to a stop or taking off is normal. It's moving pads and makes no difference to the safety of the car

10 hours ago, rayaans said:

A small knock when going over bumps and when braking to a stop or taking off is normal. It's moving pads and makes no difference to the safety of the car

It's most noticeable whilst steering at low speeds (5-10 mph) and when going over speed bumps at roughly the same speed. I was reversing onto the driveway the other night and my friend who was stood outside heard the noise too and informed me of it. I'm not saying it's a major problem, but it's annoying and shouldn't really be there.

Hmm, maybe you could try jacking up each side of the car, and spinning the wheel? See if any sounds happen then, if it does, inspect it further, sometimes it could be a foreign object stuck somewhere.

I remember back in the dealership where I worked, we spent ages looking for a weird noise and it turned out to be a bit of card stuck between the caliper/carrier!

EDIT: But if its a knocking noise, may be something else, (not sure about the IS300H), but some brake discs have a screws to secure it, make sure they're tightened up correctly, and check the anti squeal shields are ok? And make sure the wheel bolts are torqued/tightened correctly.

Or just go back to the dealer an ask to drive another 300H and see if it is present on another car too

58 minutes ago, PCM said:

Are you pressing the brake pedal at these times?

Yes, occasionally I am pressing the brakes and steering when I can hear the noise. Initially, Lexus applied some copper grease but that didn't solve it.

48 minutes ago, Venator said:

Hmm, maybe you could try jacking up each side of the car, and spinning the wheel? See if any sounds happen then, if it does, inspect it further, sometimes it could be a foreign object stuck somewhere.

I remember back in the dealership where I worked, we spent ages looking for a weird noise and it turned out to be a bit of card stuck between the caliper/carrier!

EDIT: But if its a knocking noise, may be something else, (not sure about the IS300H), but some brake discs have a screws to secure it, make sure they're tightened up correctly, and check the anti squeal shields are ok? And make sure the wheel bolts are torqued/tightened correctly.

Or just go back to the dealer an ask to drive another 300H and see if it is present on another car too

Good point. I'll try to jack the car up later this afternoon if I have the time. I've had an IS300h and a CT200h loan car - both of them didn't make any noise on the same route, making the same maneuvers. 

15 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

how about phoning another dealer (s), ask to speak to the chief mechanic explain the problem and ask if moving brake pads can be a cause?

I could try Leeds and see what they have to say - if anything. Unless it has to be RRG Group Lexus?

10 minutes ago, dutchie01 said:

brakepads should NOT move and there should NOT be any sound from the brakes.

have a look

www.ebcbrakes.com/articles/brake-pad-rattle/

It's the first time I've ever heard that 'it's the brake pads that are moving and it's normal and nothing to worry about.' Granted it may not be a life-threatening predicament, but the very nature of it is still annoying.

On 7/20/2016 at 2:05 PM, PCM said:

No.3  - Loose wire?

Still say, see above No. 2...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links