Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Soarer dead long live the GS430

Having written off my V8 UZZ31 Soarer when it committed suicide coming out of a roundabout , I decided to buy a 3rd gen gs 430 sport  black on black , walnut wood , everything works except the reversing camera any ideas why ? I had a look today and found that I had 6 volts going into the connector  but I could not get a voltage across the other side of the connector which seems very strange to me though the holes to get the meter pins in were very small so couldn't be sure I was getting a contact also the Battery decided to fail at the same time so need to investigate further, but would be interested if anyone has had a similar problem.

1 hour ago, Britprius said:

6 volts is correct for the Toyota/Lexus rear camera supply.

John

Thanks for that at least I now know the voltage is correct , I need to stick a couple of pins in the supply connector so I can be sure the voltage is getting through the connector, I am also going to find out the cost of a replacement camera this week end , however it is not only the camera images that are missing, the images for the ultrasonic front and rear detectors also do not appear so could be something more forward of the boot.ie a switch malfunction a connection fault or a connector unplugged , I have checked all the fuses under the bonnet and in the boot, still have to investigate the under dash fuse box.  Is there a post any where which itemises what the boot  fuses are for as the angle makes it impossible to read them even with a mirror.

Thanks John you are a scholar and a gentleman,but not necessarily in that order , at least i now  have an idea where to start, I've checked the under bonnet and boot fuses so must now check the under dash fuse box this weekend, then get the multi meter out and start checking round again if all the fuses are ok. I would imagine that the GS system is very similar I wouldn't think Toyota would create a different system if a proven one already exists.

On 01/09/2016 at 7:15 AM, PCM said:

( I has a Soarer too. Best car ever. Great advice from the LSOC forum too. Happy days. It's gone to Soarer heaven now )

Hi Piers , yes I remember you posting many moons ago, I am still a visiter having only just lost my Soarer of 13 years,  it was like losing one of the family a truly memorable and almost unique car.

• Like 2

And the Soarer 4.0 had a GREAT engine!

Best ever. I assume it was in the LS 400 too?

( It had TEMS/ Air Suspension too. Felt like a sofa on wheels - but fast )

:xmas:

Having had a Prius for 8 years, and now the GS450H I can confirm the rear camera system is almost identical. It would not make sense for Toyota to have different systems across it's range of vehicles.

As a retired electronics engineer I am looking into the possibility of fitting a hard drive in place of the satnav DVD player running the later mapping, or even running an Android satnav through the OEM touch screen. The Android system makes the most sense because of the free map updates with speed warnings, speed camera positions, and most of all the ability to enter full post codes.  

John

Coincidence here , Its a long story and not to go into it here but 30+ years ago I also was an electronic engineer (onc,  apprenticed at Plessy)  but got out of that rat race, and followed my real love timber, I changed into a carpenter and never looked back and am still working at it (under my own terms) self employed at 72. But I can still remember how to use a multimeter.:yes:

• Like 1

On 3 September 2016 at 11:03 AM, Britprius said:

Having had a Prius for 8 years, and now the GS450H I can confirm the rear camera system is almost identical. It would not make sense for Toyota to have different systems across it's range of vehicles.

As a retired electronics engineer I am looking into the possibility of fitting a hard drive in place of the satnav DVD player running the later mapping, or even running an Android satnav through the OEM touch screen. The Android system makes the most sense because of the free map updates with speed warnings, speed camera positions, and most of all the ability to enter full post codes.  

John

Please keep us posted on this project.

I too was involved with electronics but had less and less to do with construction when ICs rules went sub-micron. Construction became assembly and was required less and less often. Software was required more and more often.

John

I will do my utmost to let you know what the problem is/was  as I hate threads that start , the problems solved but no one knows how or why or what the true fault was.as its never published.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been probing about with my multimeter , 6 volts  going into and out of the camera connector, but I have noticed that the wire colours don't match up on the plug to the socket, anyway have noted this and have arranged to have the car looked at at Lexus Cheltenham, (where I know all the Toyota personnel who change into Lexus mode depending on which door you go into, never let me down on parts for the Soarer or the Surf ). It goes in on Sept 22nd , am hoping its only the camera , but will update after.

• Like 1

Having what I thought was a dodgy Battery I purchased a new one and fitted it only to find out, when all the idiot lights lit up that the alternator was shot , had it repaired (diode pack) (£60.00 repair cost) refitted it and all is ok , except I now have an amber brake and engine lit up on the dash . The car goes into Lexus tomorrow for the rear reversing camera to be looked at so will get them to give it the once over at the same time

Car went to Lexus for health check and camera sort out, camera kaput after system check , possible start of one rear caliper slide pin wear fault found in health check , will have to investigate the slide pin fault , I have camera coming from a source and will fit asap on arrival. Lexus wanted over £600.00 to supply and fit new camera, now that is taking the *****!, I did have an e-mail from Lexus which included a short video of what they had done during the health/camera check, £60.00 well spent as we were there 2 1/2 hrs. I also found out that a new caliper costs in excess of £300.00 not sure if that includes fitting though.

Camera now fitted and working , I was suprised at how much of a rear view can be seen on the screen bearing in mind the angle the camera is at and where its situated in the No plate recess. Slill it was a cheap fix as the camera (off a GS430) only cost £30.00 from Lithuania and I fitted it , am going to take the old one apart and see if I can find any replaceable faulty components. 

• 4 weeks later...

A question regarding mechanical keys on my GS430, Is it possible to acquire the key number to have the keys cut for the car ? I have two electronic keys both with mechanical keys both of which have never been cut just with the slot down both sides , this indicates either the keys have been lost then replaced or both the whole  units have been replaced with the electronic keys re-programmed  to the car but not had the mech keys re cut which seems more likely.

Also while at the Lexus dealer recently I took the gear change knob in to see if it could be replaced as the top of the wooden part had faded and grey, yes the part could be replaced for my car no indication of the type of wood used( redish , cherry wood? mahogany? unknown?)  it would cost £350.00, looks like another E-mail to Lithuania, that is a stupidly high price for something like that.  I have a french polishing friend who may come up with a fix.      

Have a look at this guy on Ebay who can supply keys cut by photo. I do realise that you already have the key blanks and just need them cutting but you may find locksmiths reluctant to cut keys that they haven't supplied anyway, partly because they've lost out on a sale and partly because some key blanks are very hard and can cause expensive cutter damage.

Thanks for the heads up john , but its all academic without the key number as I don't have an original key to photograph, actually I can get them cut with no trouble at all. I am hoping the lock/key No is secreted somewhere on the car other than the missing key number plate. I am also hoping the No can be sourced from the car ident No by the local Lexus dealer.                                                                         

• Like 1

Now, I admit I've had a glass or two so bear with me here Michael :biggrin:

If you haven't got an original key, how are you using the car? I know the alcohol may be responsible because I'm not usually so thick but...

Oh, have you not got the owner's manual? My key number is written in there along with the chassis number and some other stuff.

Der, I can only assume you missed the words electronic keys , I walk up to the car with key fob in my pocket , door unlocks , i sit in car,  foot on the brake, push button, car starts ,

release foot operated hand brake if I have set it and off I go. I will only need the mechanical key in the event of an emergency , or if I want to lock the boot and/or the glove box so they can't be accessed by the electronic key. manual key is removable from the electronic key.

Yes I do have the 25mm thick owners manual but the previous owner has not written in that information.

Aha, I've got an RX300 with traditional key start. I had no idea the GS430 has push-button start or that the manual key is removable from the electronic key. I must admit that I was a bit puzzled when you initially wrote " I have two electronic keys both with mechanical keys " but I floundered on anyway :biggrin:

All is forgiven :wink3: there are so many electronic system features on this car I'm still learning how to use them and how they work , the radar cruise control for instance is quite awesome in use to name just one.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links