Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS300h or GS300h

Thinking of IS300h and have been looking at 14 plates. I've noticed though that the price of the GS300H is coming in line with the prices of the IS300H? I'm going to test drive both but it seems like the Gs could be a better deal. Both are for sale at main dealer.

Either the GS isn't selling well or the IS is holding its value. Given the choice would any of you guys have preferred the GS?

I own a GS, for me far better than IS. May be IS is more known and easier to sell, and probably a bit better for connectivity but GS has technical solutions only partially acquired by IS. Another difference to see is in versions, GS entry level has not leather seats, for instance, and the price is quite different. To remember, GS is bigger too.

I too would pick the GS, because it is larger and better equipped. It is also quieter and the suspension is more forgiving than that of the IS. Also, it has a much bigger satnav screen. On the other hand, the image of the GS, in particular the pre-facelift model you are looking at, is far less trendy than the IS and the looks rather bland. Great car to travel in though.

There are far fewer GS on the road than there are IS. Most probably because it is harder for the car to compete against the BMW 5 series and the Audi 6s that it is for the IS to compete against the BMW 3 series and the Audi A4.

The biggest problems of the GS300h IMO are the weight, which you feel when driving it, and the fuel consumption which seems to be the same as the much more powerful GS450h. 

When you compare Fsport to Fsport for example, the tech you get for IS and GS is about the same here. For me personally, it boils down to: is the GS300h worth the extra fuel consumption and the less nimble ride? For me that's a no. 

I'd really like to hear some clear differences in build quality between the IS and GS body.

22 minutes ago, marrat said:

The biggest problems of the GS300h IMO are the weight, which you feel when driving it, and the fuel consumption which seems to be the same as the much more powerful GS450h. 

When you compare Fsport to Fsport for example, the tech you get for IS and GS is about the same here. For me personally, it boils down to: is the GS300h worth the extra fuel consumption and the less nimble ride? For me that's a no. 

I'd really like to hear some clear differences in build quality between the IS and GS body.

The GS is a better built car no doubt about that - however, it doesn't sell that well in the UK compared to the IS and thats why prices drop more readily on the GS. Its a big car as well, most people don't need something that big and the interior isn't THAT much bigger.

Can you guys give some details about the better build quality? Are we talking about the underlying mechanics or things like better materials in the interior? I'd really love some tips, that way I can compare both again at the dealer with proper knowledge i.e. what to look for. 

I've read four reviews of the GS300h, all agree the biggest letdown of this car is fuel consumption when compared to the 450h.

15 minutes ago, marrat said:

Can you guys give some details about the better build quality? Are we talking about the underlying mechanics or things like better materials in the interior? I'd really love some tips, that way I can compare both again at the dealer with proper knowledge i.e. what to look for. 

I've read four reviews of the GS300h, all agree the biggest letdown of this car is fuel consumption when compared to the 450h.

Mechanically the engine, transmission and hybrid batteries are exactly the same. Its more in terms of better interior quality and materials etc.

About  suspensions, rear configuration in IS has been acquired from GS (I don't know about active dampeners  too), while anterior are more refined in GS .

Well test drove the Gs300h today and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Suspension was more bumpy than I was expecting and had some wind noise around when driving on motorway. Car was an SE so wasn't on big wheels or sports suspension. Agree with other comment car is massive but not much rear passenger room. Oh well will give the IS300h a run

Was the inflation pressure right and which brand were tyres? About wind noise, strange... were all windows well closed? Active suspensions are better, of course, but GS is more comfy compared to IS.

Rear passenger seats are for 2 , indeed, as center is thought for armrest.

1 hour ago, Funkyboy said:

Agree with other comment car is massive but not much rear passenger room.

The GS is only around 20cm longer than the IS. I find my GS loads more comfortable but I changed from an IS300H with the firm Fsport suspension.  I have not noticed any wind noise.  

The GS450h does 12mpg less than the GS300H.  I am averaging 46 mpg which is pretty similar to my previous IS300H.

If you found the GS suspension inadequate, I doubt you'll like the IS.

@capese21 every professional review I've read about the GS450h talks about 42-44mpg, which is extremely impressive for a car with that weight and power. Did you have personal experience with the fourth gen 450h? 

13 hours ago, Funkyboy said:

Well test drove the Gs300h today and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. Suspension was more bumpy than I was expecting and had some wind noise around when driving on motorway. Car was an SE so wasn't on big wheels or sports suspension. Agree with other comment car is massive but not much rear passenger room. Oh well will give the IS300h a run

Most likely the wind noise is just because there's crosswinds on a windy day. You shouldn't really be getting much in terms of wind noise, its one of the quietest cars in its class

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zotto said:

Was the inflation pressure right and which brand were tyres? About wind noise, strange... were all windows well closed? Active suspensions are better, of course, but GS is more comfy compared to IS.

Rear passenger seats are for 2 , indeed, as center is thought for armrest.

It Had a couple of new tyres on the back that the dealer had done but I've never heard of the brand and they looked very cheap make.

windows definitely closed I did check. Car was fitted with plastic wind deflectors around the window and it was more than likely these that caused the problem. 

21 hours ago, marrat said:

every professional review I've read about the GS450h talks about 42-44mpg, which is extremely impressive for a car with that weight and power. Did you have personal experience with the fourth gen 450h? 

What "professional" reviews? Links?  

A real life driver of a GS300H is getting 45 mpg average mixed driving. The "official" figure is 58 mpg.  The official figure for the GS450H is  46 mpg so a real life driver would be looking at 33 mpg at best imho. 

Owners of the 450H on another forum report 26 to 28 mpg.

Drive everywhere at light throttle and cruise at 56 mph on the motorway would no doubt increase the figure but who actually drives like this?

Ed:whistling:

I've read some Dutch reviews from 2012, the year when the fourth gen was released, and they talk about 42-44mpg with mixed driving. Even with trashing the car on the track all of them get 28-30mpg. I didn't read much about the 450h though since I wrote it off because it's too heavy and I don't need that much power.

CAR did a long term test on the GS450H here is an excerpt,

Over 11 full tanks the Lexus has recorded a best of 32.7mpg and a worst of 28.3mpg, for an average of 31.2mpg. It means this car is returning almost exactly two-thirds of its claimed efficiency, which isn’t bad for a hybrid.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/long-term-tests/lexus/lexus-gs450h-2013-long-term-test-review/

two thirds of the quoted figure is pretty much what my GS300H does, 60mpg actual 45mpg.

16 hours ago, capese21 said:

What "professional" reviews? Links?  

A real life driver of a GS300H is getting 45 mpg average mixed driving. The "official" figure is 58 mpg.  The official figure for the GS450H is  46 mpg so a real life driver would be looking at 33 mpg at best imho. 

Owners of the 450H on another forum report 26 to 28 mpg.

Drive everywhere at light throttle and cruise at 56 mph on the motorway would no doubt increase the figure but who actually drives like this?

Ed:whistling:

The GS that I test drove was very kindly brought to my home as I lived quite away from the dealer. The car showed the MPG since last fuelled. It was showing 61.5mpg. This was 95% motorway and around 50 miles since fuelling. On the test drive which was mixed roads it was high 40's still very good for petrol.

24 minutes ago, Funkyboy said:

On the test drive which was mixed roads it was high 40's still very good for petrol.

An easy 45mpg without making any effort to drive slow or avoiding hard acceleration is indeed excellent for a 2.5 litre petrol auto. 

Very interesting to hear about the GS30H.  I would like to think the GS is an option in a few years but it might be too similar to the IS300H I have.  Could do with a bit more grunt but that's a Hybrid for you and perhaps the 450H would be a good step up.  The IS in my opinion is a excellent car overall.   Still would like a GSF or RCF but these are miles apart.  back to the 450H again as my next car.... maybe

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links