Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front end respray

I know it varies by region and even by business, but what experiences have people had on front end resprays?

I've got the usual road rash which is the only blemish on my car (currently sitting just over the 61k miles mark). Have people got the front end resprayed in Lexus colour but with a modern hardness? Or just gone with like-for-like? What sort of costs / timescales are involved? I could ring some bodyshops, but they'd just deflect until I bring the car in, which on a day to day basis I don't have the time to do.

I'd imagine for the bonnet, bumper and maybe a wing or two you'd be looking at about £1000-1500 if you want good work for a proper respray, not a smart-fix kind of thing.  

In my experience, the main issue is finding a body shop that can do a good, OEM-level job. Consistently. 

What part of the country are you? 

Perhaps ask on a bigger forum, like Pistonheads? Think they have a separate sub-forum for painting/detailing etc...

I'm on the South Coast, so I don't think my recommendations would be any use! 

Blimey, that's cheap. Almost worth the travel down to Derbyshire.

Just spoke to a paint shop in Glasgow that was recommended on Pistonheads; Touch-ups in Polmadie. They gave an over the phone quote of about £500 for a bumper off, front wings and bonnet respray using a 'hard' crystal clear top coat. They indicated they had an alternative top coat available that was slightly more 'rubbery' was his description, I took that to mean more forgiving, for an extra £50.

I wouldn't do this until next year once the gritters had finished. It would be about 2-3 days of work.

1 minute ago, mrfunex said:

That is insanely cheap! Last time I needed a bonnet respraying was about 2yrs ago and the guy couldn't even buy the paint for that! 

Steve's numbers, or mine?

I am in this very process right now so should give you an idea. None of the below really needs doing as by most standards the ISF is a superb example as she stands but I cant resist...As mileage is decreasing and the 4x4 is getting more use I'm going to take her off the road for a few weeks for a freshen up. I already have it quoted up:

Front bumper, both front wings, bonnet, full length side skirts inc. back bumper, rear boot lid, stone chips to door shut on drivers side, all four wheels, brake calipers done in LFA Blue and fitment of my carbon boot spoiler. So pretty much full paint with exception of doors, roof and rear quarters, bare in mind this is no mere waft in or paint over, its a full dress back, primer, paint and clear coat. Just under £2800. Its not cheap but thats what it takes. Its the labour time for proper dress back that does it. A quick flat, build up with primer and then spray it in would be much cheaper. Not saying either is the right or wrong way, both perfectly viable options and look the same in the end. 

I am I have to say a little excited about it all...

• Like 1

When I got my ISF earlier this year the bonnet and bumper had just been resprayed so I took it to Paintshield to get a protective film added to the front of the car. 100% worth doing as a I hate the look of stone chips on an otherwise nice car.  I have subsequently been toying with getting the rest of the car detailed to get rid of marks on the rest of the paint, but TBH given the GBP 700 I was quoted for this, I just can't justify the cost.  So maybe 'one day'.  One of the issues with the super soft paint our cars are blessed with.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links