Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ordering Upper Control Arms From Usa

maneesh

Hey guys,

I have to replace the upper control arms in the front. Way too expensive in the UK even with Gold discount. Since the Pound:Dollar exchange rate is so high, I wanted to buy the arms from a US company. I have found rates as low as $300 dollars for each arm, which would work out around £170. Some questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a reliable US parts company?

2. Would any duty be applied by customs & Excise?

Also, the bushings inside the rear axle carriers are weak. I've heard of a guy in the US who makes replacement bushings (Lexus only sell the complete unit, not the bushing itself). I might try those. I'll let you know if I manage to get them.

Cheers,

Maneesh

Afraid I'm limited to changing the wipers and checking the oil ;-)

But the thing is you can't buy the bushings from Toyota or Lexus. You have to buy the whole rear axle carrier unit which contains the bushing. Anyway, the garage I use charges about 60% less than Lexus dealers do per hour, so cost of labour isn't a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 year later...

hi maneesh

i got em from: foreigncarpartsonline.com

they are great -think i paid about $300, but they were in genuine toyota sealed packing. the guy there is nick , they are in groton near new york.

I assume u have done the lower ball joints?? those are the ones that wear the most. i got them from the above guys too- just the outer arm and bll joint.

cheers

hi maneesh

i got em from: foreigncarpartsonline.com

they are great -think i paid about $300, but they were in genuine toyota sealed packing. the guy there is nick , they are in groton near new york.

I assume u have done the lower ball joints?? those are the ones that wear the most. i got them from the above guys too- just the outer arm and bll joint.

cheers

cool. yeah do lower ball joints too. I got them for about 25 us dollars from www.olyonline.com in Virginia.

• 1 year later...

i have had some bad news today i was getting knocking noise from the front while braking and going over some bumps i was told both upper and lower ball joints gone i have a 99 t reg ls400 DHP can any one advise delers are too expensive and if i order abroad will i get the right parts i need?

i have had some bad news today i was getting knocking noise from the front while braking and going over some bumps i was told both upper and lower ball joints gone i have a 99 t reg ls400 DHP can any one advise delers are too expensive and if i order abroad will i get the right parts i need?

haha, it will be expensive on LS400 in the UK. I don't think you will get much change from £900-£1000 for the parts in the UK.

Use the link earlier in this thread, exchange rate is still good. The Lexus parts link.

LS400 was designed for American market, so the parts I got for my 92 model were exactly the same as UK souced parts (all made in Japan anyway). I can't guarantee it, but it should still hold true for 99 models.

If the ball joint has gone on the upper contraol arm then I guess you got no choice but to replacethe whole control arm. But if the ball joint on the upper control arm is fine then you can get away with taking out the old bushes and replacing them with new ones right ? This should take a lot of ££ off the repair bill...

hey maneesh glad u find it funny when enquring from the states did u email or ring them direct which is the better link olyonline or foreign car parts

or has any one bought any of the lower and upper control arms from the states for the mark 4?

If the ball joint has gone on the upper contraol arm then I guess you got no choice but to replacethe whole control arm. But if the ball joint on the upper control arm is fine then you can get away with taking out the old bushes and replacing them with new ones right ? This should take a lot of ££ off the repair bill...

AFAIK, you can not get rubber replacement bushes for LS400, only polyurethane, so your ride quality would get harsher...

hey maneesh glad u find it funny when enquring from the states did u email or ring them direct which is the better link olyonline or foreign car parts

or has any one bought any of the lower and upper control arms from the states for the mark 4?

i rang them directly, errr, it's the lexus parts link you want

have a search on the forums for LS400 suspension posts by me, and you should find the contact details for the guy i used in sewell lexus of dallas

hi guys some update on my situ sewells quoted me $636.00 fro both uper control arms for genuone and the place in new york quoted me $120 for each control arm wat dou reckon gas any one bought any non- genuine arms and wat was the fitting like. need some advice please:_(

hi guys some update on my situ sewells quoted me $636.00 fro both uper control arms for genuone and the place in new york quoted me $120 for each control arm wat dou reckon gas any one bought any non- genuine arms and wat was the fitting like. need some advice please:_(

Hi tallsaj, theres a guy on eBay (Tony Lees) offering both sides upper control arms supplied and fitted on earlier models and an invite to contact him regarding mark4s. Not being very ITish I don't know how to insert a link,sorry.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links