Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Problems with TPMS programming

I've learned that my 2008 RX 400h US import should be programmable with Ateq TPM QuickSet. Despite properly installed Win10 drivers, upgrading QuickSet firmware and selecting correct vehicle, it doesn't read current summer wheelset sensors nor program winter set sensors.

What takes? What caveats there is known or best tips & procedures ?

I've also got OBD2 USB cable but lacking working software...

Thanks in advance for anything helping to get rid of TPMS dash fault lights.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I had this problem with my GS and eventually had to replace all four TPMS valves.  Even disconnecting the sensor wouldn't turn off the dash warning lamps.  I was told that certain after market tpms sensors can't be programmed properly and that only genuine Lexus sensors coded to each corner work.  If a wheel was inadvertently swapped after the sensors were initially set, as say with a tyre change, this will also create the problem according to a Lexus mechanic. Didn't even know that there were different sensors for summer/winter use or at least different set values.

My problem is winter wheelset without sensors or their wrong programming thus warning light.

And all I've tried to self program new sensors or read summer wheelset sensors are failing.

Ateq tech support suggested odd shorting of OBD2 connector pins to put computers in programming mode but that didn't help.

The only obvious answer that I can think of Mika is to keep the same wheel-set on all year round and just change the tyres.  I had my wheels professionally powder coated to a higher standard than factory so that they'd survive intact through many winters of salt laden roads.  It was that or pay for two sets of sensors and wheels, and then have to re-programme the tpms sensor when switching over which, as you're finding, can be hit and miss.  It shouldn't be with genuine tpms valves fitted but as I understand it, the ones from the USA (or Germany) don't work properly and cannot be successfully reprogrammed, so it depends on where the sensors originated (ie whether they're the official ones or pattern parts).

Thanks GSLV6, working sensors are in summer wheelset which need new rubber anyways, working to convince wife to do with European all season tires like Michelin Latitude Cross which have been great also winter time in my Chevy Van.

Btw, this RX supports two sets of tires with TPMS sensors, that's why trying to get two sets working properly.

One option is to visit dealer, they could also setup it for metric units and update North American maps tuo Scandinavian ones. Just don't like this and it'll cost too much to my taste as I'm more hands on diy type anyways.

Cost is an issue so completely understand the DIY route.  If you already have the sensors fitted, I don't think it costs too much to have them set up and at least you'll get the mapping updated.  I was quoted £180 for a map update, so imagine it'll be something similar.  In the end, I just bought a new Garmin Satnav which was cheaper and it's more user friendly ;-)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links