Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What problems are still common across RX models?

Continuing with due diligence prior to committing to buying an RX450H (2014), one thing that really needs checking is whether some previously reported common issues with RX300/400H models and some Mk1 and Mk2 RX450H models are still being reported for post 2012 Mk3 models.  I appreciate that really, the vehicles are still a bit too new to draw meaningful conclusions, so the question becomes that of what Lexus may or may not have done to improve or eradicate these issues on newer vehicles.  So far, I have drawn up a list of issues that have a surprising number of occurrences judging by some of the posts on here, which include:

• Fuel tank saddle strap corrosion
  • rear subframe corrosion
  • water ingress
  • Inverter overheating issues
  • 12v Battery failure if vehicle left unused for a few weeks
  • premature disc wear and calipers needing replacement sub 80K miles

Anything else I've missed? 

Just interested from the RX owner's Posse whether there's anything else to look for or bear in mind which stands out with these models, and specifically whether premature corrosion and battery/inverter issues have all now been sorted.  

The undersealing was a bit weak on the series II RX, not sure if the series III is any better but easy to add more as preventative maintenance.

Inverter had a recall, not heard of any other common issue with the 400h or 450h.

12v Battery is better on the 450h but if it is 5 years old then change it and you are good for another 5 years.

Brakes need to be checked for correct operation periodically (every year) the same as other Lexus vehicles as the sliding pins corrode. Also brakes should be applied hard every few weeks to keep everything moving - if you are light on the brakes then the rears essentially never get used because most of the braking is done with the electric motors and the disc surface can rust.

• Like 1

Suffers from sticking brakes in the winter after washing. If you decide to wash, take for a spin or keep the parking brake off.

No issues with the Battery. I've left my car (currently on holiday) and i don't doubt it'll start straight up. Mine is 4.5 years old, original Battery.

The brakes are checked on service so nothing you have to do specifically. 

Can't say any other issues exist. The ones you mentioned for the 400h are very rare on that model and non existent on 3RX

Disc and pad wear is very very good. I'm on 50% wear and covered 42K miles. 

• Like 1

Thanks guys, appreciated.  Seems no worse than for any other car.  One thing I would add is mudflaps.  It really gets my goat that on a prestige motor, the manufacturer couldn't be bothered adding essential things like this, instead listing them as an option.  I'll have them added as part of the deal.  Should help keep the car little cleaner and lower spray to motorists behind when wet.

• Like 1

Can't agree with you more on the subject of mydflaps. I gather manufacturers omit them to make them as slippery as possible to maximise mpg and emissions figures, i just picked up my RX450 (2010SEi) and will order some to protect paintwork and as a courtesy to following motorists. Suspectt hey will cost a fortune from Lexus, will order some from China at a quarter of the price. 

Yes, they won't be cheap for 4 bits of plastic and a handful of screws.  Looks like each rear wheel may neeed removing to gain access to fit them.  May get away with turning the front wheels.

1 hour ago, GSLV6 said:

Yes, they won't be cheap for 4 bits of plastic and a handful of screws.  Looks like each rear wheel may neeed removing to gain access to fit them.  May get away with turning the front wheels.

They're just plastic pieces that fit easily using plastic bolts 

I don't really like mud flaps. I think they ruin the lines of any car.

You'll notice that yhe wheels are set inwards and the body sticks out slightly. I presume it's for economy but it helps regarding dirt too, doesn't get as dirty as the IS which has wheels which are flush

Are the holes pre-drilled into the plastic arches Rayaans?  Hopefully no drilling into any part of bodywork other than plastic needed...

23 hours ago, GSLV6 said:

Are the holes pre-drilled into the plastic arches Rayaans?  Hopefully no drilling into any part of bodywork other than plastic needed...

Yes there are some holes there. AFAIK the mud flaps don't fit into the actual bodywork but sit there.

The actual fittings go into the arches where the carpet lining is

1hFLgfmsd65ovgF4zcVSe9a2PdWh0iEHoLZy1oWb

Update - did some research and they fit into the wheel arches with plastic clips. They just rest on the body but don't fit into the body itself.

Looks pretty idiot proof to fit as well

Ahhh...in that case, even I could manage, thanks for the confirmation. I can get a new set from lexus Birmingham for half the cost of my local supplier.

• Like 1

Thanks Eamonn.  I'll order them and fit them myself in that case. That'll save 50% the cost of having Lexus fitting them.  I'll order some roof bars too so that I can fit a bike carrier if needed.

Bike carrier, stick it in the boot. One of the things I love about my RX is the fact I can open the boot, drop the seats and slide the bike straight in without removing any wheels in about 30 seconds. I really hated the bike racks and spending 15 minutes strapping things on or lifting them up to roof level and then having to worry about low bridges if they were on the roof rack.

carl

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links