Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

• Join The Club

Join the Lexus Owners Club and be part of the Community. It's FREE!

Does anyone know of an easy way to stop the steering wheel moving into the driving position when the GS450H is put in accessory mode or ignition on. When parked to listen to the radio or watch a DVD the steering wheel does not need move into position. There does not seem to be a way to program this in Techstream, but may be I am missing something.

On odd occasions I have sat with my legs crossed, and pressed the start button "no brake pressed" to listen to the radio and nearly had my legs crushed by the steering wheel. The steering wheel exerts quite a force in this situation, and there does not seem to be any anti trap mechanism as there is with auto windows. 

It seems pointless to have a wheel that moves away from you after turning off the car, but insists on returning to the driving position in accessory and ignition on modes when the wheel is only needed in ready mode. You have to go through ignition on mode after accessory mode to turn accessory mode off. The drive motors for the steering wheel could possibly have as much as 50% less use if programmed not to move unnecessarily.  

John. 

Ditto, I'd like to know f this is possible as well.

Even better for me would be a way of the steering wheel raising but not retracting, as it lowers again as it nears the fully retracted position.

On a slight tangent, is it possible to switch off the hybrid system (IGN off) but without switching the audio system off, as in stopping and waiting for one's passenger to arrive?

3 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Ditto, I'd like to know f this is possible as well.

Even better for me would be a way of the steering wheel raising but not retracting, as it lowers again as it nears the fully retracted position.

On a slight tangent, is it possible to switch off the hybrid system (IGN off) but without switching the audio system off, as in stopping and waiting for one's passenger to arrive?

Tangential point Peter,.......if you press the start button without depressing the footbrake ????

Regards

John

Good idea John, but it would be much easier if it could be programmed out rather than reaching for yet more buttons.

Nemesis, I too find it somewhat of an anoyance for the radio/CD to go off, and then have to go into accessory mode to continue listening again with the steering wheel bobbing in, and out when not required.

With a normal key operated switch you can turn the engine off and continue listening to the radio, but in the GS you have to turn off completely and then turn on again without the brake being pressed.

John

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Tangential point Peter,.......if you press the start button without depressing the footbrake ????

Regards

John

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant when one reaches one's destination and parks up waiting, is it possible to stop the Hybrid system, a/c, lights etc.. but keep the audio playing. I know I can press the Start button but that then kills the audio and I have to press it again, as you say, without depressing the brake pedal, to get audio back.

3 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Good idea John, but it would be much easier if it could be programmed out rather than reaching for yet more buttons.

Nemesis, I too find it somewhat of an anoyance for the radio/CD to go off, and then have to go into accessory mode to continue listening again with the steering wheel bobbing in, and out when not required.

John

^^^^ this exactly. That steering wheel motor is going to work harder than really necessary! 

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant when one reaches one's destination and parks up waiting, is it possible to stop the Hybrid system, a/c, lights etc.. but keep the audio playing. I know I can press the Syart button but that then kills the audio and I have to press it again, as you say, without depressing the brake pedal, to get audio back.

Life can be a bitch Peter. Just get used to it ;););)

Regards

John

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Life can be a bitch Peter. Just get used to it ;););)

Regards

John

It's my sympathy for things mechanical rather than my getting used to it..

Far too much unnecessary switching and motors moving 

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

John, one must programme one`s brain, just like we had to do so when converting from ink to biro !!!  ;););)

We are in danger of becoming servants to technology???

Rgeards

John

While in some respects I agree with your statement in this instance it is the technology that is there that is poorly implemented.

John

• Like 2

I guess I'll have to get my test equipment out and do some checking on the steering wheel control unit. This must be programmed for the steering to go to a position when it gets a 12 volts accessory feed "unless they complicated it and did it via the can bus". If I remove that feed, and replace it with a ready mode feed that should give the desired results. Anyone got a circuit diagram? I have everything for a Prius, but nothing yet for the GS450.

John 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. I meant when one reaches one's destination and parks up waiting, is it possible to stop the Hybrid system, a/c, lights etc.. but keep the audio playing. I know I can press the Start button but that then kills the audio and I have to press it again, as you say, without depressing the brake pedal, to get audio back.

I think I have found a way over this problem. Try this:- leave the car in gear or any position, but park. Now press the stop button then return the car to park.

John.

• Like 2

I'll certainly give that a go next time out, thanks!

ETA .. Just read the handbook and I think you've got it spot on... :yes:

"If the shift lever is in a position other than
P when turning off the hybrid system,
the power switch will be turned to
ACCESSORY mode, not to off."

Being used to a Prius that goes automatically to park when you press the stop button caught me out a few times with the GS450 with the car not shutting down properly "the screen staying alight". That is what triggered my thoughts on going from ready mode to accessory mode.

John.

2 hours ago, Britprius said:

I think I have found a way over this problem. Try this:- leave the car in gear or any position, but park. Now press the stop button then return the car to park.

John.

Joe 90/ Merlin still lives.Hallejulia !

Regards

John

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links