Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Brake/fog Mod....

Scorpion

I have had the brake/fog light mod done and for those that dont know what this is,its when the brake is applied all 5 lights light up and when the fogs are on only the normal brake lights work,so that they work independently... :whistling:

So just out of curiosity i went to my local M.O.T test centre today to see if this was legal as i was concerned about the brightness from the fogs,anyway YES they are legal :hehe::hehe: as they work independently,i know there are a few members that have this but are running a seperate switch so can someone explain why they are on a seperate switch.

Cheers guys.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the sound of that :)

Im gussing he used a relay instead of a switch.

Thinking of doing this mod myself, is there a limit to the number of brake lights you have? with the spoiler on I would end up with 6 brake lights!!

I did a similar thing many years ago to a Chrysler 180 (remember them).

I used a double pole, single throw relay and had my foglights come on with the brake lights - with the fogs still working independantly if required - until local plod pulled me over and told me to get it undone sharpish and report to station within 3 days :(

Mind you that was back in about 1973(ish).

Here are the instuctions for the mod. I cant remember who wrote it however.

that would be me! B) donations to the normal address pls! as for the legality it all depends how you interpret the MOT rules i suppose, some testers say no, some say yes - also depends how you have the system set up.

Pete - do you have double filament bulbs in the "fog lights" or just single filament bulbs? ie do you have 4 tail lights and when braking 5 brake lights OR 2 tail lights and 5 brake lights.

i am also a bit confused why people would need to have a seperate switch as you dont need one in the system.

Ha Ha Ha.....my mate only used 2 diodes and he did'nt go near the boot and neither did he use a relay!!!!!

Rob i have 2 taillights and 5 brake lights...

As i said in the first post my local tester said it was fine as i took the car and showed him what i meant.

Pete - do you have double filament bulbs in the "fog lights" or just single filament bulbs? ie do you have 4 tail lights and when braking 5 brake lights OR 2 tail lights and 5 brake lights.

Rob, Does this mean new DUAL Bulb holders for the fog lights are required to have them as Dual bulbs?

yes mate it does - we used a harness from the normal tail lights and butchered it a little.

but depends how ou want the system set up - the original design was to have 4 tail lights and 5 brake lights - pete has his set up with 2 tails and 5 brake lights, which wont need to have new bulb holders

only thing i found out is depending how it is set up when u press the brakes you trigger the fog lights and they stay on - thus the need for the diodes.

Use two diodes like this

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/alb...brakelights.jpg

You are still putting the same current down the brake circuit if you use 2 or 3 diodes. Using two is easier and also means you can do all of the wiring inside rather than in the boot.

In the instructions posted futher up the diagram states use 1.5Amp diodes. As fog lights use 21W bulbs and there are two of them you should be using 4Amp diodes.

Use two diodes like this

http://www.lexusownersclub.com/gallery/alb...brakelights.jpg

You are still putting the same current down the brake circuit if you use 2 or 3 diodes. Using two is easier and also means you can do all of the wiring inside rather than in the boot.

In the instructions posted futher up the diagram states use 1.5Amp diodes. As fog lights use 21W bulbs and there are two of them you should be using 4Amp diodes.

when using a multimeter the max current i was drawing was a bit over 1.2A

Colin where would the work be done inside the car? or is it just easier to do it in the boot area?

many thanks

Haven't done this mod so I couldn't say. Pete's mate would be the best person to ask. I guess he picked up the wires behind the kickpanels in the footwells as all the wiring going to the back of the vehicle will pass through there.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links