Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ls400 Mk III Lookouts

Depending on the age, check the headlamps are all working. There was a guy on here said one (yes one) headlight bulb cost £158. Uh-HUH!

Th engine should be smooooooooth. I mean no shake rattle or roll. Check the A/C has no effect on engine speed but cools the car. It needs to be on all the time in these big cars in this damp country.

Heck you know more about cars than most of us here..... :D

Nick

Headlights are ok on the MKIII. Just your normal bulbs, not HIDs

Check idle speed with AC off. Make sure it's not too low.

Check car with foot on brake in drive and let the AC cut in and out. I have heard when the engine increases the idle when the AC comes on it tries to force the car forwards.

@ Colin,

What do you mean by idle speed with A/C off being too low? My LS400 III from 95 shows about 500 rpm when warm, in N or D with A/C switched off. I assumed a low idle speed was a good sign. Do you disagree? And what about the 500?

Thanks, SpeedyJ

PS My LS does have air suspension, was an option here on the LS400 III over here (Holland)

Previous writer CB is correct re idle.

There is an "idle up" arrangement that increases the engine speed

when the aircon is on, this is normal.

At least on my '94 it is!

I think this also happens if the steering is on full lock. :winky:

drove miles and miles only to walk away without a test drive again

too many things which turned me off

heated seats did not work

radio consol bit did not light up (glad i checked this as i spotted this from these forums)

centre sun visor was floppy

cramy under oil cap (cars has been standing around since xmas with start ups So might be ok)

Patchy history... so ppatchy one service has an 18,000 mile interval

water in boot... had me concerned so inspected boot lines and they were slightly out... further investigation LED to a rear shunt.

few bulbs blown

bonnet struts were weak

few nicks on paintwork... polished by stevie wonder

passenger door locking button was broken

I was dissapointed as it was a nice car and lovely colour... very comfy

So... I decided to drop in on the Black GS300 Sport... took her for a test drive... lovely jubbly.. smooth ride!

Things I can see wrong

paintwork needs a buff up.. spider web effect where someone polished incorrectly.

new badges on back... originals are faded

some stevie loving

Very good condition for age.. cars at 90K but the engine is really sweet and quiet... only thing is compared to the soarer.. very gutless... but I will get used to that and should settle my testosterone levels nicely.

So i slapped the deposit on it.

make sure its a series 3... they were the most economical.. the series 4 was absolute pants on consumption.

Petrol costs are the least of your worries.

Far worse is depreciation/servicing.

I test-drove an earlier LS400 and didn't like the handling. Then I tried the MkIV and there was a definite improvement in handling. NOT TO MENTION THE SAT NAV.

I agree with flotsam, depreciation is a major issue, as it is with all large expensive cars. Thats why I got rid of my last 430. Would still like another though. I never found that servicing was all that bad compared to other makes, the "germans" seem to be pricier in general.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links